Norton IS 2007 Trialware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

After my experiment with FSIS, I thought I would try NIS 2007, as several people have recommended it, so I downloaded the Trialware version from the Symantec website, but once installed, it says that the trial period has expired, so it's useless. I haven't installed NIS 2007 before, and the last Norton product I used on my PC was NIS 2005, which I removed with the Norton Removal Tool. I have also removed NIS 2007 with the NRT, and reinstalled, but still it says the trial period has expired. I don't want to purchase the thing, and then find that it slows down my system - I just want to compare it to KIS 6.0, but will buy it if I like it. Any ideas as to a way round this, would be appreciated.

Simon.

2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Download and install Norton Internet Security 2007 , it has 30 day to try, so you can compare it with other products.
    With Norton trialware products is always same story, but I don't know why...

3. Simon6776

Oh right, so it will allow me to install it without a product key, yes? Thanks, that's great. How stupid though, that the official Trialware is for 15 days, and doesn't work, but by downloading the 'real thing', you get 30 days anyway!

4. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I don't remember installing NIS 2007 you have 15 or 30 day to tray, but I really know that you have minimum 15 day.

5. Simon6776

It doesn't seem to want me to download the package without buying it (unless I'm being a muppet), but I've now found a different Trialware package from a link that wasn't working last night, so I'm just downloading that to try out.

Just a thought, but if I bought an OEM, which are available from Ebuyer, and used the product key to load it, if I subsequently uninstalled without activating it, would the product key still be valid for use by someone else?

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not trying a fiddle! I just don't want to be lumbered with it if it doesn't work well on my machine. I had no problem with other Norton products, up to NIS 2005, but owing to the dreadful reviews of NIS 2006, I switched to Kaspersky, which is great, but I'd still like to see what NIS 2007 is like.

6. donsan

donsan Registered Member

I have been running Kis for a long time and still have a license for Kis and Nod. I decided to try Nis 2007 just see how it performs and i have to say this is a great product compared to the 2004 day's. My computer is running a lot faster with Nis 07 and running less cpu then Kav i think you will like it.Thats just my two cents worth.

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

If the program has the name "Norton" in it, I don't buy it. Norton products seem to to care less about resource usage. In general, I feel that you can find products as good as Norton and often better that use significantly less resources.

8. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

norton 2007 is light...

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Oh...I had no idea. I gave up on Norton products years ago. Maybe they have finally learned!

Still, my time spent in this forum has taught me that you can get much better protection by installing secuirty apps separately (firewall, AV, antispyware). But if you are going to consider an all in one product, why not try it if it has really toned down the resource usage?

From their website:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symantec.com > Home & Home Office > Products > PC Security > Internet Security
    Norton Internet Security 2007 System Requirements Norton Internet Security 2007Platforms: Windows® XP/Windows VISTA™*Windows® XP/Windows VISTA™300MHz or higher processor
    256MB of RAM
    350MB of available hard disk space

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the 2007 version is a big step for norton, its probably the lightest they have ever done, and i think it looks the best aswell.

norton seem to make massive changes between years, im already wondering how good, or bad the 2008 version will be. *lol* :rolleyes:

12. Simon6776

13. Crappopotamus

Crappopotamus Registered Member

14. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I actually dont know o_O I get Vista tomorrow and I'll check it out then.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes . Norton counts the days of the trail . You have had Norton before which has expired and you are not allowed to try any new versions any more ... until you formal the hard disk

16. Simon6776

Yes, I thought that might be the case. But surely it's just a matter of finding a little file or registry entry, and deleting it, to make Norton 'forget' that it's been used before? :doubt:

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If it was that easy all people would use trial versions instead of full versions

18. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I reload my comp every second month or so from an image, som nis07 3 month trial is fine for me ;)

19. toejabber

toejabber Registered Member

I used McAfee (registered versions) for years. Then I switched to Norton Internet Security, which I liked mo better. Been running 2006, a little sluggish.
    Just subscribed for another year of updates online. Now why did I do thato_Oo_O It's now $53.50 after tax.
    Norton Internet Security 2007 is only $59.00 + tax at WalMart.

On my other machine, I am now going to switch to NOD32 AntiVirus (retail), which beats all the competition hands down!
    And I am going to use the Comodo firewall (free) with lifetime updates, which does not LEAK! PERIOD!!! and in my opinion, is the best of the FREE firewalls!

I'll let you know the results.*puppy*

20. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Tried it and man I dont like how it sinks itself into my system, it goes in too deep. Heh, it even deleted some of my tools I use for map editing games thinking it was bad or something, thank god I had back ups, bye bye NIS :D

21. Simon6776

I installed NIS 2007 earlier today, and after a two hour scan (which came up clean), general navigation around my PC seems to be slightly slower than with KIS, but nothing I couldn't get used to, however, boot up time is HORRENDOUSLY compromised. My PC used to start up in just over 1 minute, that is to load all the start up programs, and launch Mail Washer, but with NIS on board, it's taking over 4½ minutes to get going! This, I don't think I will be able to live with for long, so it looks like Norton's reign over my computer will be short lived, which is a bloody shame, as it's a waste of a licence. Still, I had to try it, and I'll try to give it a week or so to bed in, to see if boot up times improve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.