Can True Image Backup 2 PCs?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jo Ann, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

We have 2 PCs connected via a Windows (XP) Home Network. Each PC has one hard drive. I would like to install True Image on one of the PCs and use it to backup the hard drive on each of our 2 PCs (to a USB drive). I could either leave that USB drive connected to the same PC which has True Image installed, or I could connect to whichever PC is being backed up at the time, but what I need to know is can I count on True Image to do this (as well as to restore if and when necessary)?

Thank you for any advice.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you are using TI Home then it will only create an image of the drive on the machine it is installed on but you can have it save the image to the other networked machine.

You can also restore an image stored on a networked machine to another machine which is running TI.

You can make a Files and Folders backup of a machine on your network with TI running from a different machine and you can restore them.

You should very carefully test any of the configurations you wish to use particularly when using the TI bootable recovery CD. You do not want to be figuring out how to get your network going or finding out that it doesn't like your USB drive etc when you have a problem. Any restoration of the active partition, typically C, requires using Linux environment which is present on the bootable CD or will be started by a reboot from within Windows.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

On the other hand, if you have not yet purchased True Image, buy the Workstation version. Using ATI Workstation v9.1, you can install its 'Windows Agent' on your remote PC which then will allow you to fully backup (ie., create a disk-image) and/or restore the remote PC from the host PC, as well as backup/restore the host PC itself.

You can get more info here and you should be able to buy a copy for about $72 (do some 'googling').

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Thanks for the replies - I've not yet bought True Image, so based on pvsurfer's advice I will buy ATIW 9.1, which should be the answer to my needs. :)

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jo Ann,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used.

If i understand you correctly, you want to manage backups of both PCs from one of them remotely. For this scenario the best solution is Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With trial version you will be able to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation for 15 days, and manage up to 5 remote computers. The only limitation of trial version is that the bootable media version has only restore function available. The program is fully functional in Windows.

However, it is possible to reach similar results with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. You may install Acronis True Image 10.0 Home on both computers, and perform (or schedule through easy-to-use graphical interface task manager) backup locally to the chosen location (network as well). You can download the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With trial version you will be able to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home for 15 days. The only limitation of trial version is that the bootable media version has only restore function available. The program is fully functional in Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Marat~ I advised Jo Ann to purchase a copy of ATI Workstation 9.1 and after she installs it on one PC to remotely install TI's Window Agent on the other. Are you saying doing that requires the purchase of two ATIW 9.1 licenses? ~pv

7. waringm

waringm Registered Member

I'm trying to figure out the licensing as well.

I have my XP Media Center laptop, my wife's XP Pro laptop, a Win2K box for home automation/MP3 files and a new SimpleTech 500GB NAS to store the backups.

Do I just need one Workstation license or 3 Home licenses?

They have that special for 2 Home licenses but it still may be cheaper to get them from newegg.

8. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Did he not say:

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you do need the number of licenses equal to the number of computers managed, be it via direct installation, Acronis Remote Agents or Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. For example, in waringm’s case he will need 3 licenses for backing up or restoring 3 computers. But if he wants to back up/restore only 2 computers, and use the third one only as a storage (accessing it via network as a network share – not with Acronis Remote Agent), then he’d need two licenses.
    The fact that the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation allows management of up to 5 remote computers is implemented for the comfort of trial users.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.