Help! Lost Start Menu, PRC SErver unavailable

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Escalader, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I made a big error and need to recover.

I'm up and running 60% in windows XP can get to this forum for example using FF.

I ran CHKDSK C: /f on the c partition where xp sp2 lives. On restart PC ran 50,000 files changing invailid security id on file 9!!!!!

Now I get RPC server unavailble access denied error 5

Any good recovery utilities you guys use successfully?

windows restore points exist but same error message

:oops:

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Recovery console not the solution for linked file issue and buggy CHKDSK

What follows here is some edited Q and A with a first rate Paragon support person. It is here only in the spirit of information for others.
    If Ice Czar wants to comment privately as he has been helping me a LOT!

Thanks Czar

Here is what I sent Paragon yesterday:

Good news, using the bootable db8.o I used the restore wizard and the external C Full to restore.

The error was that I didn't highlight the correct disk 0 partition as your popup window image blocked that view.

At end of restore process I got an Error message, File system has allocation errors due to cross linked files. Run OS Built in tools for checking & correcting this kind of error.

I have no idea what these tools are let alone how to run them. This message should be fixed.

My start menu is back and everything seems okay. I even shrunk the c os partition which currently is free space.

I have to do more tests and want to know how to find newer selective files in the differentials rather than risk another restore.

What checks and test would you suggest now?

Here is what was exchanged next :

Answer

After a restore and resize from backup archive. I recommend you taking backup of resized C: partition. The built in OS tools is Microsoft CHKDSK that caused you these problems. Moreover as I told you previously your C: partition really has crosslinked files and if you apply CHKDSK one more time to them you would get the same problems you've gone from recently. I mean the disappearance of start menu, problems with printer etc. Here could be the only workaround reinstallation of Windows, but as it works right now you can keep it. Later when you have free time for this I would strongly recommend either to rall back to Windows installed by Dell (from dell recovery partition) or reinstall Windows manually (reformat the C: drive first). Only this steps could solve the cross link files problem in an absolutely harmless way. Or contact Microsoft support team and ask for safe way to fix this cross link files.

Questions and Answer

1) IF, I used the differentials would they work on a resized C partition?

-No, if the size of partition was changed since the last differential or basic backup then the restore is impossible. The differential backup works this way: it compares the size of partition and sectors if anything was changed. In case it detects the size of partition changed then it would report an error. So my recommendation is - take backup of C: then take differential backups based on this new basic (fresh) backup.
    ----------------------------------------
    2) I will backup the resized C to external drive AND to DVD's. Any advice/warnings?

- The external HDD is the best place to keep backup archive. Current version of Drive Backup 8.5 has some problems with direct backup to USB drive. We are fixing it right now and I recommend you using the old way, backup to C: then copy it in Windows environment by copy\past to external HDD.
    For safety you can double the backup (backup to DVD) and this is a good idea too.
    -----------------------------------------
    3) As to the freed up space, no partition id yet I plan to make that my user data partition. Any advice/warnings?

-Here is the simplest operation. Start Partition Manager 8.0 - > right click on free space - > create partition - > set it volume label and file system as NTFS - > apply. Then assign a drive letter to it. That's all.
    -----------------------------------------
    4) If I delete some old archives still inside the resized partition which software should I use?

-The backup archive created by our product is a common file with a specific extension. Just right click on a folder with backup name and choose delete.
    5) Is it a good idea to move data files to new data partition using file transfer? It seems to be a copy utility not a move utility? Any advice/warnings?

-As I said in my previous answer, you can copy it with copy\past operation or use File Transfer Wizard. This is a copy tool and was invented to give our customers a chance to copy out data from partition that has corrupted Windows so to reinstall simply Windows later but without data loss.
    Here is what happened next!
    Question
    Using Windows PDB 8.5 Personal, I began the backup of the resized partition C. Total size 145.GB used now 16.4 GB.
    It was backing up the logical only C to external Maxtor when I got:
    ERROR

Launcher.exe-application error

Instuction at “ox7c911de” refered to memory at “0x.00000000. The memory could not be “read”. Click ok to terminate, click cancel to debug.

The PC froze completely. But re-booted okay to allow me to tell you this.

Advice please on next steps. My thought would be to try the backup using the bootable… what think you?

Answer

You've met the problem I mentioned in my answers to your question. Remember that I have recommended the backup to C: and then copy it to external HDD. The crashing problem is known for us and our developers are working hard over it. Till they fix this problem, remove (uninstall) DB8.5 from your PC and install the previous version.

What I'm about to do is exactly what Paragon recommends, delete 8.5 version of PDB 8.5 personal. Then I'm going to try to create a backup on dvd for my resized C OS partiotion before doing any more messing about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.