Create differential backups parameter

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbdan, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

Hi,

Acronis True Image Home Trial Version 10.0 (build 4,871)

In the Help file, under "Backup policy", there is this:

"Create differential backups - having chosen this parameter, check the Create a new full backup after ... parameter and specify number of differential backups, after which a new full backup will be created. The first time a full backup will be created. Next backups will be differential until the specified number of differential backups is reached. Then, again a full backup and a set of subsequent differential backups is created, then again a full backup and so on."

I cannot find the "Create a new full backup after ..." parameter anywhere in the program!!!!!!

Where is it?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Dan,

Once you've set up your Backup Location with the limits you want, when you are setting up your scheduled task direct it to Backup Locations towards the top of your file tree. I think that's the step you are missing. It isn’t at all clear in the manual, as I and several others missed it the first time around.

Attached Files:

3. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

Well, it's funny that you should mention backup locations.

I happen to have a backup location set up, but when I tried to use it to tell TI where to put the backup files, I got some really strange results in the TLB file name.

I ended up having to manually navigate to the backup location by opening up My Computer....

So, directing the backup to Backup Locations doesn't work very well...

But you still haven't answered my question, which was:

Where is the "Create a new full backup after ..." parameter?!?!?!

Is it an attribute of the backup location? If so, where is it modifiedo_O

4. CatFan432

Dan,

If your really strange file names look like this: 2007_01_24_09_29_30_767D.TIB, then you are pointing your backups to the correct location per the image I posted, and once your task is pointed there you should see the prompt you are looking for when you edit the task, as the prompt is only available in conjunction with Backup Locations. If all is set up correctly, you should not be able to assign a name to the file, the names are generated by the program. Please post back if this doesn't solve the problem. -CF

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  5. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

OK, let's try and keep this simple, for a simple person like me. And let's try and get back to the original question that I asked.

Could you show me a screen shot with the "Create a new full backup after ..." parameter clearly shown? 'cause I sure can't find it.

6. CatFan432

Actually, Dan, I am trying to answer the original question you asked. The prompt you are looking for is inextricably tied to the Backup Location feature. Rather than a screen shot, I'm attaching a text file with step-by-step instructions for setting up what I think you are striving for. Of course I'm just guessing on the number of backups you want to do. -CF

Attached Files:

7. dbdan

dbdan Registered Member

Ah. Now I see what you're talking about.

So the simplest and clearest answer to my question would be:

The "Create a new full backup after 'n' differential backups" option does not show up unless you choose one of the Backup Locations on the previous screen, Backup Archive Location.

Furthermore, the "No file name is required in this area" file name on the Backup Archive Location screen is normal and not a bug. Strange, but normal.

Apparently strangeness goes with the territory with Acronis.

Thanks,
    Dan

8. CatFan432

Actually I thought all my answers were simple and clear, and even included pictures. That being said, you're very welcome and I'm glad I could help. _CF

9. koenwuyts

koenwuyts Registered Member

So you cannot do this with the Acronis Secure Zone? :blink:

10. CatFan432

I can't answer that for certain, having no experience with the Secure Zone, but am confident someone will pick up the tread. If you are not seeing the prompt you are looking for most likely the answer is no.

I can say that if you have a single hard drive with a single partition, you won't be able to use the Backup Location feature to image your partition.

11. bfmitch

bfmitch Registered Member

Thank you for the instructions

CatFan42,

Thanks for the instructions. I upgraded from version 8 to version 10 today and decided to implement differential backups. I never would have figured it out without your instructions.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.