Beginner's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD with a TI Plugin

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mustang, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Lee,

Why do you need more than one disk? The disk you made for your laptop should do the trick for both computers. As long as you have Product Keys for both computer, the same disk will work for whatever you want to do.

Microsoft does not support OEM disks. They make a big point of making the OEM resposible for all support issues. They probably have a way of detecting it is an OEM disk and stopping the process. You could try slipstreaming with AutoStreamer or nlite. I'm not sure if the same thing would happen.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I recommend Autostreamer, no muss, no fuss http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562.

3. whobie

whobie Registered Member

Mustang,
    Nevermind...........it helps if I use an account with admin rights! I am back on track again.

Lee

4. whobie

whobie Registered Member

Tom,
    Thanks for the link. Saved it for future reference.

Lee

5. whobie

whobie Registered Member

Mustang,
    Didn't see your reply right away cause it went to the next page. I see what you mean about needing only one XP disk. My ultimate goal though is to have a BartPE bootable disk for each PC. Due to the different hardware/driver configurations I would need to build a BartPE disk on each machine, correct? I could use the single XP CD in both builds though.

Lee

Edit: Is it possible to integrate MS Service Packs and Security updates into the XP CD? One last question and I'll leave you alone - I guess BartPE does not support wireless NIC's? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  6. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Lee,

You can put the drivers for all your machines into a single BartPE disk and use the one disk on all of them. There are several driver packs available that attempt to make your BartPE disk universal. It really doesn't matter what machine you build it on. And yes, you can use the Windows XP disk you have just created as the source no matter what machine you use to build BartPE.

7. PaulieD

PaulieD Registered Member

Hi Mustang,

I created the BartPE disk with your instructions, and it boots just fine, and I can start ATI 9.0 (build 3633) within BartPE. HOWEVER, once I open ATI and click recovery and NEXT, I do get the Explorer-like form to select my .TIB file, but ATI hangs at that point. Does BartPE run all in Ram once loaded? If i can just get the TIB to select and start, I'll be home free.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paulie

8. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Lee,

Nlite can be used to integrate the security updates and service packs.

WiFi under BartPE is possible, but not easy. In addition to the WiFi driver for your NIC, you need a plugin to start some services. I use a plugin called Internet (Dial-Up, PPPoE and WiFi) from this website http://www.anwald.com. See my post here http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=11868&hl=internet+plugin for instructions on how to get connected and enter a WEP key. Don't be disappointed if you can't get it working. It doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  9. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Paulie,

BartPE doesn't run from ram if you boot it from a CD. I may be reading between the lines, but is your tib file on a CD/DVD? If it is, you will need two drives. You can't remove the BartPE CD and put in another disk with your tib file. There are ways of creating a BartPE that boots from ram. Search on http://www.911cd.net/forums/ if you're really ambitious. I've never gotten it to work. You could also search for BartPE booting from a USB flash drive.

10. PaulieD

Hi Mustang,

Good job reading between the lines... yep, TIB's on DVD's. However, by you confirming this is a great relief... I know I'm not going nuts. :rolleyes:

I have my BartPE file set on my USB key now, and I'm going to figure HOW to get it to boot. I have 20GB of archive across 5 TIB's, so I need the DVD drive for those (guess this justifies an external USB HD).

If and when I figure out how to get Bart alive and kicking on a USB stick, I'll post the steps.

BTW, I agree with the other posters... your work in putting together the maunal for making a BartPE disk with the ATI plugin and all the quirky steps was a blessing and a half. Thanks for doing that. :thumb:

Paulie

11. mustang

mustang Developer

12. PaulieD

[MOVE]Thanks Mustang... every chunk of info helps.[/MOVE]

13. mustang

mustang Developer

I've added a section to the guide explaining how to boot BartPE from a USB flash drive. It uses a nice Windows GUI written by CodeBeetle. Most USB flash drives work, but not all.

You need to make sure your computer supports booting from a USB flash drive. Some older computer won't support this.

14. mustang

mustang Developer

I've updated the guide to correct some links that stopped working.

15. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Thanks for the excellent guide Mustang. I've been using your TI plugins for V9 and am very pleased with the results. I just built an XP install Cd for my Compaq Laptop following the instructions in your guide. The CD booted up to the screen where I was asked to install or repair an existing installation. I stopped there because I had no need to go further. Although I'm an expierenced BartPE builder its always nice to see a simplified guide like yours.
    Good job!

16. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind words. All your support in the past has been greatly appreciated.

17. Arielwire

Arielwire Registered Member

Mustang- I can't thank you enough for this guide!!! My initial attempts at building a BartPE disk were a miserable failure before I found this.

So I do have a question for you, or anyone that may be able to help-
    I have successfully created a working PE disk (halleluyah!) - and it seems to work fine on backups-
    One thing, in the BartPE environment, I get the error- unable to load network support. Can I safely ignore this, or is it a big issue? I went into device manager and copied each of the network drivers into the separate sub folders in the pebuilder drivers\net folder per the directions....
    Did I do something wrong, and does it matter?
    Thanks for any feedback/help!
    Ariel

18. hodnik

hodnik Registered Member

I am running into troubles whenever TI is needed to reboot in order to complete a task. These leads me to believe the problem lies with TI not loading the appropriate software for my HDD, a seagate SATA.

I tried downloading the drivers my computer uses, jmicron - jraid. I followed the directions twice and came up with a burned CD. loaded it up and was informed that my jraid.sys was invalid (don't remember the right term).

Tried it with two other versions of the driver and got the same error each time - any ideas?

19. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

I would be concerned only if my Backup location was online. Since I'm using an external HDD, I always answer NO to the Network question.

Since you stated that ATI worked fine for backups, I suspect you don't need to go online to a ftp site, so just answer NO and forget about it... what's the point?

20. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Why do you need to reboot? Are you cloning or archiving?

If you are cloning to a new HDD, you can't leave both connected and expect the new drive to boot... you need to replace the original drive with the new one before the boot process.

Archiving an image to a location does not cause a prompt to reboot to complete the process. What exactly are you attempting to do?

21. hodnik

hodnik Registered Member

Sorry, should have brought this up to begin with.

I have three partitions and was sucessfully dual booting into two of them (both win xp pro). I made an image of both bootable partitions and saved them to my last partition as backup.

Upon trying to use a recovery CD, it would fail to load. Trying from windows to recover a partition would cause a reboot to finish, and it would fail in the same manor. For more detail and pictures of the error i am getting, go here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163855

22. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Arielwire,

Unless you want to access a network drive, you can just say no to starting network services. If you do want to access a network drive, you need to get the driver for your network controller properly addded to BartPE. From your description, you have not included the entire driver. You need to have the disk that would be used to install the driver in Windows. You would copy the entire driver from that disk, not just the files that appear in Device Manager.

23. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi hodnik,

Have you included the entire driver for the jmicron - jraid controller? Can you tell me exactly when in the BartPE boot process you get the error? Also, it would help to know exactly what the error message is. Not all drivers work by simply copying then to the Drivers\SCSIAdapter folder. Although, most do, some need a separate plugin to work. Another issue can be related to capitalization of the sys file. Sometimes, BartPE will say a sys file is missing when it is clearly where it belongs in the I386\System32\drivers folder. Usually changing all the sys in the I386\System32\Drivers folder to all caps. will solve the problem. This can be easily done with a postprocessing plugin.

24. hodnik

hodnik Registered Member

Well, just tried the drivers that came on my disk and I got no error. Remaking a disk with appropriate plugins and hopefully will be able to work TI and DD from it!

Dan

25. RodM

RodM Registered Member

Hi Mustang and thanks for the thread on how to build the BartPE CD along wiht your most useful website.

I followed your instrcutions and added my ATI 10 info using your ATI 10 plugin.

The way I read your instructions is that I could add all the plugins I wanted, correct?

I then added the DDS10 plugin.

Followed both mini help files, the one for ATI10 was a bit confusing to me at first. I'll quote the mini help isntructions here. I'll add my questions in bold within the quote.

While they wee a bit confusing to me, probably not to a normal person. However, I mananged to create a bootable CD with ATI10 and my network drivers (I'm IDE so no need for anything else), so I guess it wasn't too confusing.

I was just getting ready to go in to my problem with adding DDS10. I got an error when BartPE tried to compile the info to build the CD. However, I just realized that I hadn't installed that program since my clean install of XPPro_SP2 and Vista Business last night:D

Now off to burn another CD, this time with DDS10:thumb:

I'm on a 3 year old Gateway (P4 3.06 HT) and glad to see their XP CD's don't have the Dell CD issues. Maybe they do these days, but in 2003 at least I still got a good CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.