Great Dial Up (Fast, Easy, Free) **Adware*

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by zapjb, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

http://greatdialup.com/index.php
    It supports XPs builtin DUN.

OK got the facts & ugly adware part out of the way.

When I check my firewall with my paid dialup ISP, I am totally STEALTH. No closed or open ports. On all GRC port scan tests. And 3 or 4 other firewall testing sites.

When I use Great Dial Up (adware) ISP. My same firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall v5.5 build 2710. Shows an open & a closed port (79,80). Just on the common ports test at GRC.com. Didn't run the full first 1056 ports test.

I don't consider this Sygates faullt. Can I make my firewall fully stealth with this adware ISP? Or is it impossible? Or do I have to finally switch firewalls?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

A few questions:

This dialup comes with their own dialer?
    When you scanned, did you scan your own IP?

Mrk

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Great Dial Up offers their own dialer. But I did not use it. I used the New Connection Wizard in XP.

Yes I scanned my own IP.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I wonder how long this free service will last? Many that popped up in the late 1990's disappeared a few months after they started offering their free service. :doubt:

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I used to use free dial up ages ago, it started out as free and ended up as free for the first the first 2 hours then you pay lol.

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

zapjb, how is this free service working out ? is it as fast as regular paid service ? do you get booted off easy ?

7. Dave_G

Dave_G Registered Member

zapjb, I also have the same experience with a greatdialup DUN connection using Sygate v5.5 and also ZA Pro v5.5. So I suspect you were correct the problem does not lie with Sygate.

I'd also like to stealth the ports but have been unable to so and when I brought up the issue in their forum, the thread was deleted and I was banned. Makes me wonder why they appear to be so sensitive to the Port 80 issue.

Only speculation but could the port 79 and 80 issue be related to them using a toll free number?

Dave_G

8. timcan

timcan Registered Member

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Here is Great Dial Up response I got.
    Can this be possible?

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The connection was just as fast.

Don't know about kick off or kick off time. I just tested my firewall & got off the free isp & went back to paid. Until I get my stealthness question answered.

Thanks.

11. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi zapjb

The best way to check is to try to have an incomming connection

Their setup is possible as a one way proxy, when you send info it pass proxy, when you receive connection it goes to their server rather than going to you

You -----> Proxy ----> Internet
    You --|--- Proxy ----< Internet (Gisbon open port are for his proxy)

try for example to setup a file server / web server on port 89 or any other and test if you incomming connection reach your comp

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the idea.

I don't know much about servers.

Could I just share a file on a P2P app? Or upload a file? And what does this prove?

I'm just thick about this. I need this explained very simply.

13. Dave_G

Dave_G Registered Member

zapjb yes I believe it can.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but if an ISP is using a proxy server, their server acts as a relay between you and the internet. And (as I understand it) wouldn't thier server have to collect information like requests you had performed in search engines, keywords you had typed, etc?

And also wouldn't the logs that would normally record these things on the sites you visit now be on the ISP server? If so and they had this information would they keep it, could or would they sell it now or later?

I see no privacy policy anywhere on greatdialups website stating what they would or would not do with the information they collect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.