Which way to backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jayfer1, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayfer1

jayfer1 Registered Member

Maybe it's just me or I can't search correctly, but I'll ask anyway.

What is the best way to backup a system partition (C:\)? Is it by using the TI program within Windows (OS running) or by using the boot disk that TI had me create? I'm just confused. BTW I am using the trial of Ver. 10.

Any help would be appreciated... Just trying to figure out the easy stuff...

Thanks all...

Jason

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I prefer to use the bootable Rescue CD. You never know what Windows will have running in the background which will not play nice when TI is running.

3. dld

dld Registered Member

I create image from within Windows but do nothing on Windows during this time (go to the bathroom or read the paper). I always restore from the Rescue CD.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Ralphie has a good point. I have scheduled a full backup to run in the early AM and have restored the image many times with no problems noted. Initially I had a concern about Diskeeper 2007 Professional (version 11) running in the background but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Another concern is for antivirus programs etc. that automatically do scans. I try to disable most of these things.

Just my thoughts.

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

A quote from another post where Menorcaman states....

I've just re-read DanR's post and realised that he's using the Trial Version. The boot rescue CD created with the trial version doesn't allow you to create images - it only restores them.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

From within Win, you can keep using the pc while ATI is making the backup. I've done this lots of times, and it doesn't bother the backups. It's also faster to not have to reboot jsut to do a backup. In fact, you can set the backups to be made ona schedule when you are not using the PC; this way the file operation won't slow down whatever elese you're doing on the pc.

sh

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jayfer1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Actually it does not matter since Acronis True Image utilizes a unique technology that allows creation of a disk\partition images on the live system without the need to reboot the computer. Please take a look at this previous post describing the image creation technology in details. Also this article explaining in detail how Acronis True Image creates backups when it is running from under Windows might be useful. However, if it is more suitable for you, you could use Acronis True Image Bootable CD or BartPE-based bootable CD with Acronis True Image to create the image archives.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.