firewall . which to choose

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by luther13z, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luther13z

luther13z Registered Member

HELLO EVERYBODY
    WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP .I HAVE USED ZONEALARM AND SEEMS TO CONFLICT *VERY HEAVY* , NOD32 ,IS THERE ANY OTHERS THAT WORK IN SMALL RESOURSES CPU I WILL TRY TILL I FIND ONE I LIKE ,BUT,LOOKING ALREADY TESTED VERSIONS THAT RANK 9-10
    REGARDS LUTHER13Z

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I prefer Look N Stop myself.(very light) on resourses.Works well with NOD32 as with my other apps in my sig.Have tried Norton,Macafee,Zone Alarm,Comodo and a few others.Always went back to LNS.Their support is great also.Just a suggestion.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

No need to yell. I would say Comodo. Its free and is as powerful as those pay for firewalls.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sygate, Comodo.
    Mrk

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you want light, free and secure then jetico v1 is quite good.

6. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Look 'n' Stop

Kerio 2.1.5

Jetico

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Plenty of resources - Comodo.

A bit shy on resources - Look'n'Stop.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'd try Comodo.
    LooknStop is probably the lightest for resource usage though.:ninja:

9. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i re-read your post, and did not see any reference to FREE being a requirement, so i recommend Outpost Pro, especially if you demand effectiveness first, easy configuration (perhaps comming in as second) and an awesomely comprehensive log viewer.

many people do not hold much regard to a firewalls ability to pass leaktest, and for the life of me i do not know why! if a leaktests sole reason for being is to emulate maleware techniques for phoning home ie breaking past ones carefully considered PC security apparatus, than how can a firewalls ability to survive these same leaktest be viewed as anything but significant??

okay....i feel better! next if comprehensive control, and effectiveness are on your list, then Core Force is your diddy. just be sure to tell your significant other you will not have time for her for an as yet undetermined time frame. the configuration possibilities are massive, but if mastered, you will have an all time great lock-down firewall.

if you want great security with a lesser degree of tinkering Jetico 2.0.x.x is paid and still in beta and version 1.1.x.x is free. The GUI is the difference between these two for me. when i had version 1, i wished i had version 2. when i had version 2 i couldn't configure it. (my rules making comprehension is feeble on a good day....sad to admit but true). but both do well in every test/comparo i have seen.

lastly, when all else fails try Comodo, which is what i am currently using. Comodo rates well (passes leak and termination tests) seems to protect your PC, the log capabilities are a joke, and if you visit their board, you will think you stumbled into an Amway convention. i have never experienced such sucking up on a message board. btw i am using Comodo as my first choice; Outpost Pro 4.0, does not agree with a security app that for the present time i am unwilling to go without.

Mike

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm sorry, i don't follow you. Amway convention?

Logs? If you want that, then go with Sygate, or something, the FREE version. I've heard that one does the trick, but not sure, i didn't try it. No need to pay for something that doesn't add anything special.
    Comodo will probably have what you want sometime in the future. Being free, i'll gladly wait. But i have to say, i don't feel the need for any more logs.:-*

As for the sucking up, i don't think you read that much from the forum. What matters is, when a question arises, somebody answers. You ask a feature, they take it into consideration.
    Fans exist everywhere. Do you prefer they would be banned from the forum? Is it Comodo's fault? Is that how you evaluate software?

I'm not attacking you, but you did sound a bit harsh, and i like Comodo Firewall, and forum. So far, it's been great.
    I can always change my mind though, i'm not attached to a piece of software, just to be clear.

11. simmikie

if i sound harsh then that is your interpretation, and changes my perception not one iota.

suck-up is an accurate assesment from my perch, and to the contrary i have read many post on that board. i have observed they do answer many questions, but is also part of my observation that if you are a go along to get along guy, should Meliah ever stop suddenly, they'll be a lot of broken noses.

but back on topic i think Comodo is okay as i have posted to that 'board.. it is performing the service i ask of it. as soon as i find something i like better i will dump it.

attacks?? no worries. it is impossible to effectively attack what you do not know.

Mike

12. GWA

GWA Registered Member

I say use Comodo. Also, IMHO, many forums could take a lesson from Comodo's site. Loyalty is a quality, when not blindly applied, that is refreshing. CHUCK :D

13. Darksat

Darksat Registered Member

I go for Sygate.

14. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Jetico1.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I switched to Comodo and never looked back. It's simple and just hums along in the background.

simmickiy - I don't see any sucking up in the forum (to what end?) only friendly people trying to help each other. When was the last time the CEO of ZA posted a solution to your question on their forum? :blink:

16. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Check a site like FireWallLeaktester to find the top 3 or 4 performers and then trial each one. As long as a firewall performs well in leaktesting, differences in user interface (does it provide enough information, how easy is it to use, etc) and performance/stability (will it work with other software you have installed, etc) then become significant. These come down to personal preference and your system setup so only you can determine the best choice at that point.

I would however counsel against using Sygate - aside from its development and support being halted since Symantec took it over, it has never been able to filter traffic to local proxies (web filters like Proxomitron but also many anti-virus web and email scanners) meaning that malware could use such proxies undetected.

17. simmikie

wouldn't know twitch, i have not been on ZA's forum. ;)

simmikie

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

As heavy into malware local research as i am and security protection inspection, i must admit i have leaned on but one old outdated freeware FIREWALL (ruleset) named KERIO 2.15!

It is proven itself many times over for me enough to keep it onboard. It's super-light, quick, and works silently keeping out intruders. It HAS intercepted viruses and identified their locations for me when even a popular AV missed the intrusion.

BUT!!! I am no expert in this field, review the reports of the other Wilder's members and their suggestions of FIREWALLS. There are others that are pretty solid and tight as a drum no doubt.

Am an old Zone Alarm user and a few months ago tried CoreForce but returned again to this old KERIO 2.15 leftover from yesteryear. For me it works, and right now that's all i need to know.

REGARDS.

19. simmikie

i am curious Easter.2010, what caused you to cease using CoreForce?

Mike

20. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am currently a Sygate 5.5xx user, but I must switch as I have only recently read about the loopback problem when using Proxomitron, which is a proxy configured as localhost:8080 (localhost of course being 127.0.0.1).
    No doubt some of you will have also heard about this "hole".
    I really like the Proxomitron and don't want to be without it.
    Is there a workaround ?
    If not, then what about Comodo - have read somewhere that it will ask first for allow Prox. and secondly ask for allow app. (eg. IE/Opera etc.)
    Any advice will be really appreciated.

PS. Very happy with NOD32 - there is a new version 3 in the pipeline, apparently with firewall, I could of course wait for this but am a little apprehensive. What a pity about this loophole in Sygate, I enjoyed using it.

21. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    This loophole is irrelevant if you do not use proxies.
    Mrk

22. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I may be wrong but I think Sygate has the loopback issue with the HTTP scanner of KAV6 also, not just local proxies.

23. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I know, but want to keep Proxomitron. It seems with Comodo there should not be a problem .. see this from the Comodo forum:

This seems to be what I wanted to know - unless there is a workaround for Sygate. :D

BTW. Does Comodo impact heavily on resources and startup time ?

24. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Possible workaround - using Firefox / extensions.
    Mrk

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Ocky - I don't notice any heavy use of Comodo any time. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.