Prisma Firewall:Has Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Legendkiller, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

It as been a while since I looked at this firewall, so I downloaded/installed.
    Installation went without error, but found there was no application or packet filtering, all applications where allowed internet access without intervention. I did set a rule to directly block firefox, but this still did not stop FF from connecting out.
    I did run the repair installation, but this did not help. I have no other security applications (apart from AV (nod)) installed on this PC, so cannot see a possible conflict problem.

3. Legendkiller

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Legendkiller,

I will, later, install onto an XP base (clean install (from image), all default services enabled), to see if there may of been a problem due to some service`s disabled on my current test PC setup.

I do find it strange that the Application and the packet filtering did not work, so I will of course look further into this.

5. Legendkiller

b'coz the last version i tried worked well...so you plzz check on xp and then,based on ur findings,i will decide to try it..

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I found the problem. There is an incompatibility (on this setup) with the onboard "nVidia nForce Networking controller". Switching over to an alternate NIC did cause BSOD, but after an installation onto XP pro without the nVidia NIC active, the Application filter is working correctly.

7. Legendkiller

thanks

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Just a warning,
    I have not much time for fully testing, but I did notice that the firewall does have hard-coded rules. These rules allow its own app`s to perform address resolving (so internet access by its own apps are allowed without warning). Svchost is not intercepted and allowed all comms, including, unfortunately uPnP. I also noticed that for some reason there was an unauthorized connection to "Hotmail".

9. Legendkiller

i un-installed it in 15-mins didn't like it much..back to outpost..

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Just tried v1.53 (march 2) today and it still crashes after an hour or so (same address error it crashed with on previous version). I love the interface though. Too bad it doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.