Replacement for Process Guard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baldrick, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have been using PG for ages and love it. However, in the recent past it has become apparent that despite it being very good at what it does, ie, guard processes, it has started to slip behind the competition. Not a problem I thought as the guys at DCS are busy working on the next generation which is bound to bring it up to speed (and possibly make it even better).

However, with the ending of the forum, and the total lack of response from DCS, I am starting to think that there may be no followup/revised version...and therefore, much as it grieves me, I must start looking for a worthy replacement.:doubt:

Any suggestions as to such a replacement would be much welcomed. My personal leaning at the moment is ProSecurity which, whilst a relative newcomer, seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

What does the learned brethern and sisterhood think:D

Wishing you all a very Peaceful & Prosperous New Year for 2007

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Give SSM a try.

This proggie works very efficiently. You can control your heart out with SSM. Outstanding customer support.:thumb: SSM team is constantly improving this already great proggie and is very responsive to suggestions. Helpful forum as well :cool:

I have found that SSM gives more info for making a decision (allow, block etc) than PS.

Also take a look at Safe"n"Sec.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I was in a similar position a month or so ago when I realised that PG was no longer offering the protection I thought it was.

I looked at both ProSecurity and SSM and after trying them for a while found that SSM suited me better at the time.

They both have a trial period and would suggest you try them to see which is better for you.

If unwanted closure of your f/w or other programs is a concern for you then checkout APT from DCS and SPT from SSM. I found that SSM gave better protection than PS though that might have changed by now. In SSM you do have to select the programs you need to protect. It is not perfect and there are still other methods that will defeat them both.

This is just a personal opinion and I am not an expert but hope this helps a bit.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. true north

true north Registered Member

It's sad to noticed that PG loosing steam. I use PG for long time and it's serving me very well !!!
    I'm wondering whether I should replace PG for safety reasons.
    I would like ( if necessary ) to purchase a new app that HAS to be:

1. better than PG
    2. easy to use like PG
    3. and a dedicated team that takes care of flaws and bugs on
    a short notice.

Thanks for advise.

6. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Re: DCS Support Forums closed and archived

What is best please for replacing Process Guard?

I already have Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007 and AVG Antispyware 7.5, so need something that will work with both of these programs, if I uninstall Process Guard.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, there's alot out there. But PG had that way of working that i really liked. Never even trialled the full version, but IMO to include programs into that "circle of trust" as you go, and setting the permissions for each one, was really great. Very instinctive.

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

PG is still very good at what it does, it's just that SSM is doing more and more as it develops. I personally have no need for SSM on my system at the moment - the overlap with other things would be too great. However I still very much value PG's execution protection etc, which fits in well with with my requirements.

There is a useful comparison chart here (just bear in mind what areas are being covered by other apps you may have):-

http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

Looking at a bare chart does not tell all the story though; some apps have better coverage of each area than others.

11. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Give ProSecurity a try and SSM and see which you prefer.

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

What happened to the PG forum? Why was it archived? According to the website, it states the following:

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I missed it. I guess that would be similar to several other situations where people are recommending a firewall program but which where tech support has vanished. Companies appears and disappears over time. Guess you have to go with the flow sometimes.:doubt:

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I recommend...

System Safety Monitor
    Abuse Shield
    Cyberhawk
    Safe'N'Secure

...in that order.

To read discussions/comparisons about various HIPS programs, go hither and thither.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

as i say try SSM and ProSecurity and see which is your preference. and you are right that PS is coming on leaps and bounds, because you can communicate with the developer directly and he will break his back to do anything he can to improve ProSecurity wether its a bug you found that needs fixing or an extreamly important feature that should be added. Give it a good go, you can always decide on another product if you wish.

17. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

18. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No-one else keen:

A vote here for DefenceWall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.