eScan Antivirus Toolkit (freeware)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chuck57, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

from MicroWorld Technologies. I remember a thread about it a couple of months ago and decided to try it as a backup scanner, since it uses the Kaspersky engine.

It seemed to be thorough, and slow, and when it was done, and I closed it, it vanished. I can find the program nowhere on my hard drive and I've run search, checked registry, checked the .exe files, everything I could think of and it is hiding very well. When I restart, it flashes on the screen, so I know the thing is there someplace. What good is this program if you can't run an on demand scan because it can't be found?

2. Weber

Weber Registered Member

Hi Chuck57,

From what i remember, it is a self-extracting file. It extracts to the temp folder and then executes.
    So, to execute it again just launch the file you downloaded.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Okay, and thanks, Weber. I downloaded it again and rather than opening it, saved the .exe file to my documents and then made a shortcut to my desktop. It works fine.

Now, since I can't find anything about this free version on Microworld's page, does anyone know if it updates automatically. The FAQs all seem to refer to their pay products. I found a section for manual updates, but from the size, I'd say it's the entire program.

4. zonnet

zonnet Registered Member

Could you please indicate the link for the section of manual updates? I also have a question. I run the toolkit, which actually found an infected file, and left the room. After some time I came back and realized that it had started the scan all over again, finding again the same infected file in the same location. Is that normal? Shouldn't it stop after finishing the scan?
    Thanks.

Zonnet

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Chuck57,Zonnet.

I tried that eScan free program months ago.
    If I remember the thread correctly there were two things that I didn't like about that particular A/V.

False Positives.
    At the time it was giving false positives to a few of us that tested it.

No Updater.
    I couldn't find a way to update it.
    The consensus was that you would have to download a newer version to get updated database.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

This may be one of the threads http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12155;start=0
    It seemed to have a few false positives .

7. Weber

Weber Registered Member

Yes, you actually need to download the whole file to update.

8. minacross

minacross Registered Member

as the program uses KAV engine, some guys just use KAV's updates to update the program ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.