Upgrading HD on Laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by exout, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exout

exout Registered Member

Need help! I have read multiple ideas on how to replace my old 30GB HD with my new 100GB HD, but something isn't quite right everytime. I have TI 10 and have the new HD connected through a HD enclosure with USB. I follow the steps to clone the old HD with TI 10. All goes well, until I replace the old HD and boot directly from the new HD, some of the programs on the new HD don't work at all and I am unable to reinstall.
    Can someone tell me what step(s) I am missing.
    The goal I want is to completely replace the old drive with the new and start using the computer as if the drive was never changed.

Thank you
    Davido_O

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

When you try to run these programs do you get any error messages, and what types of program are they ?

Colin

3. exout

exout Registered Member

Couple of problems:
    1) Taskbar is not on the screen anymore
    2) Internet Explorer won't stay up, just flashes on the screen for one second
    3) Quickbooks won't open
    4) Norton won't open

That is every program I have tried to open. I'm sure it I tried to open all the programs I would have the same problems.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do you get any actual error messages? Sounds like XP is confused and not finding programs where it or the MFT things they should be.

If your laptop came with an actual XP CD, then I think the quickest way to get going is to make a repair install.

Colin

5. exout

exout Registered Member

Thank you, I did a reinstall and things are getting better. Now I can't update any software. I keep getting errors. Any ideas?
    Thank you

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

exout:

Note tha Bodgy said a "repair install" which is not the same a a full re-install.

Another alternate approach would be:
    When needing to install a new drive, you can use either cloning or restoring a image to achieve the same result.

Is your old drive still functional or workable. If yes, put the old drive back in and we will create an image of the old disk and then restore the image. Cloning is not involved in this procedure below.

Put the old 30G back with all its original settings. Set the 100G aside for its intended future use.
    Get yourself an additional drive for your enclosure. You will need it anyway to store your backups. Plan on keeping the bare 30G as a safety valve and store it (as is) after you are done .

1. Bootup using your TI user created Bootable Rescue CD.
    2. On top menu under Tools; Click Options, click the +sign beside "default backup options" and checkmark the additional settings; checkmark "validate backup archive......"

2. Use the backup option and choose the "Backup entire disk.....option
    3. Tick the open box on left side of disk 1
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182030

4. Point to the destination drive. This needs to be an a new external drive (not the intended 100G). (It could even be a borrowed drive).
    5. Assign a simple file name such as fulldisk.tib

6 After completion of imaging backup and successful verification, then
    7. Remove & preserve the 30G and install the 100G
    8. With new new 100G in place, Boot again from the user created Recovery CD and choose the Recovery Option
    9 Point to the recent fulldisk.tib backup files on the external drive.
    10. Tickmark the disk option shown on sample illustration (my image sample below shows R as the usb drive letter)

11 Check "REstore disks or partitions option and click next
    12 Again checkmark the full disk option as listed in step 3

13. Continue on from there with the remaining options to full restoration.

Note: You can reverse or back out all the way up to the proceed screen.
    Once, you press proceed, the actual restore action is initiated.

We will some size issues but that can be recovered via this link
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=157096#20

Attached Files:

7. exout

exout Registered Member

GroverH:
    I have followed all steps you have listed below. All is well until I proceed with the recovery. It starts the recovery process then freezes at various stages on the Operation Progress screen. I have tried this multiple time, with the same results. Any suggestions.

Thank you

8. exout

exout Registered Member

GroverH:
    Thank you! It worked. Except for one problem, I must have missed a step. Because now it is showing that my 100GB HD is only the size of the backup of 27.8GB. I must have missed something. Any ideas.

Thank you

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Exout, read this post by Menorcaman. It explains in detail what to do. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=769388&postcount=5.

10. exout

exout Registered Member

Still not working. I can restore the new 100GB HD to the old drive size of 27.8GB, but no more. The other 72.2GB are no where to be found. I have follow the Menocaman post. But no luck. I am running TI10 vs. TI9 referenced by Menocaman. I can't believe this process is so complicated:mad: Thank you all for your help so far. Are there any other ideas? Help Please!

Thank you!

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Have you got 5 minutes to spare ? If so do it this way.

Open the Manage secure zone wizard . Create a secure zone using all the unallocated space. When done use the same wizard to delete the secure zone and you will be give an option to allocate the freshly released space to your partitions.

That is it you are done [​IMG]

Xpilot

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

13. exout

exout Registered Member

:) Thank you all! It is working!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.