version 7 and 9 are both able to check source image integrity?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Wills, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I read that the main difference between ATI vers 9 and the free vers 7 is that the vers 9 is able to test the integrity of the image before you create it to the HDD, is this true??

I have a friend that uses vers 7 and all he says is that it is very reliable and that he is not updating as he is satisfied with his b/u's. He has not commented to me re the integrity of vers 9 testing the HD image before it is done.
    I simply wondered if any member knew?

Thankyou.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The problem is that version 7 is very old and doesn't support lots of newer hardware. As long as your friend keeps his old PC, he can happily continue using version 7. However, if he buys a new computer, he will discover that it's time to upgrade.

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I do agree with jmk94903, but anyway, both versions verify the inegrity of the image file, although not before, but after it's created. It's good practice to verify the image again before it is used for restore.

If I remember well the function is called Check Image in TI7. In TI9 it's called Validate Image Archive and you can run it manually (same as in TI7) or set the Options for the validation to be performed automatically after the image creation is completed or/and before a restore is started.

You should be aware that the Check Image (or Validate) function only validates the integrity of the image file (comparing the current checksum of the file with the checksum calculated and recorded in the file itself at the time of image creation). It does not compare the contents of the image file with the contents of the source disk/partition. And it also does not check the integrity of the source, if that's what you are thinking. To verify the integrity of the partition before imaging you have to run CHKDSK X: /R from Windows (replacing the drive letter for X). To chkdsk the system partition you need to reboot to make it start.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I believe that I will have to post again before I attempt this project to test the integrity of the source and I will do that at the time I am going to do this.
    I will go out and purchase the version 9.

BTW, does version 7 the free version clean itself out without leftovers like Norton does and thus cause mega problems if one does not use the Norton Tool??
    As I have the free version and I don't want version 10, I want the version 9 that I can buy at Staples.
    Best Regards, and any other comments would be appreciated!!

BTW, also; how do I rid of the Systemworks partition on my internal notebook HDD for the Ghost that is shown as "F" as I no longer want ito_O? As it is related to Ghost and I won't be using it.

Cheers!

5. Wills

Wills Registered Member

are there leftovers from vers 7 when installing vers 9?

I had this in my other post in another thread and decided to seperate it. I wondered since i have decided to purchase vers 9 instead of using the older free version after reading posts in my threads; I wondered if there are leftovers of ATI left in the registry of vers 7.
    I wondered if ATI was like Norton that requires a tool to clean it out.

I would appreciate comments, thankyou.

(I thought that vers 7 would be a good program and free but the opinions that I got and respect indicate that it is outdated and here in Canada the version that we have available is vers 9, as i like to have the cd)
    And I am somewhat uneasy with the posts and threads I have seen about vers 10 especially since I am a Noob to all of this process.

6. dld

dld Registered Member

Re: are there leftovers from vers 7 when installing vers 9?

The only version of True Image available from Acronis in Canada is ATI 10. You may be able to obtain ATI 9 from some outlet but then you would have to update this boxed version to the latest version after registering with Acronis. In other words it is much simpler to download from Acronis directly and not to bother with the boxed version.

You should uninstall Version 7 before installing Version 10. You shouldn't have any problems with any leftovers from Version 7.

7. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I have read so many pros and cons about version 10 that is why I wanted to go with version 9 and now you say that I will have to get the updated version 10.
    Staples here in northwest canada is where the version 9 is and as well London Drugs.
    The Future Shop does not even carry the product.

Correct me if I am wrong, when I go to register version 9 I then will be made to buy version 10o_O?

All comments appreciated, thankyou

8. dld

dld Registered Member

Absolutely not. But remember, this forum can be compared to a complaint dpt. The great majority of those who are happy with Version 10 will not be reading this forum. It's your choice.

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You will be using v9 until you decide you want or need to upgrade. I would suggest, however, upon registering v9, that you contact Acronis Tech support with a jpg copy of your invoice and see if you qualify for a free upgrade.

If you qualify, you do not have to use it but it could save you a purchase price later should you really need to upgrade--either voluntarily or when support might force the issue. Download v10 and store it away if you qualify for a free upgrade.

10. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

If you buy version 10 and have a good reason for wanting to use version 9 instead then contact Acronis support. In the past they have allowed some users to download an earlier version and issued a new serial number (disabling the version 10 one).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.