Cannot Decide whether To Renew NOD32 License

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I know you cannot make a dicesion for me but your advice and opinions are extremely informative. Am running the Avira Security Suite and am quite satisfied with this fine program in its detection, speed, interface and how it runs on my laptop. However, my Nod32 license will exprie on 1/1/07 and I do not know yet whether i will renew that license. I loved Nod too for its performance but the interface is a little tiresome to me and also the long delay in Eset talking about a version 3 and yet, no version 3 in sight and no official word of any type that I know of concerning when it might be. Is anyone else in a similar spot and what are you doing about it? Will you renew your license or go to another program and leave Nod for a while? Thanks.

Gary

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Gary,

Whenever I find myself in this spot, I try to figure out if the driver is dropping something for specific reasons or picking something else up in the hope of achieving specific objectives. I then use the time before renewal and post expiration grace period to evaluate the current options.

For me, the interface is pretty irrelevant since I typically visit it infrequently. Updated features - yes, those matter, but I never make a decision based on promises or even preliminary looks. Given that v2.7 just came out, V3 shouldn't even be a decision factor in favor at the moment, although the lack of some components that the competition have implemented should be considered if that is important to you.

Look at it this way, regardless of the decision, the differential cost of flopping between vendors every other year is not a major issue. I find that getting use to a new program style and so on more of a factor.

Blue

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi . I can't talk from anyone else . I think you'll never be able to get any official info just because it is far from being released . Everything can happen and that's why no official word is given . If they say for example "v3 is available on 1st January" , they will receive tons of mails asking questions and questions ... However , if something happens (everything's possible) and v3 is released on 21st January , lots of people will say " Huh . Such liars , they promised on 1st but instead it came out on 21st ! " That's why it is not appropriate to say anything . Moreover , they want to make it the best . If you have noticed , NOD32 2.7 was in beta only 1 month and had only 2 or 3 minor bugs . Nobody here in the forum experienced , for example , " the blue screen of death or any other major problems . In comparison , another company had very long and full-of-bugs beta . ESET just try to make it the best and if the guys there are not asked when , how , they will not be under pressure and will make it better .Anyway , NOD32 v3 should be available in ~March~ 2007 :D

Just note that I am not from ESET and my words should not be cosidered official ;)

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Reading between the lines sounds like you've made the decision already. They're both fine solutions and it is really only a decision you can make.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I like Nod to, so why not continue the trial of Avira and at the end make the choice. Nod will have a top notch suite just as Avira will add a lot of enhancements to theirs, that I do know. Only you, and I mean that, can make the final call.:)

6. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Gary,

You should evaluate in terms of what is available today. There's no definite date for the NOD32 suite, and I agree it has been a bit frustrating waiting for the NOD32 3.0 suite.

NOD32 and Avira are comparable in terms of detection and both are fantastic products. When you break it down the only thing that Avira Suite has over NOD32 in terms of features is the firewall. But it seems you have issues with NOD32's interface too.

Personally I don't mind NOD32's interface and I would be happy using a free firewall like Comodo while I wait for the NOD32 suite.

But if you do not like NOD32's interface and really want that integrated suite now then go with the Avira suite.

7. huntnyc

Thanks for your input to all. Have gone back to my old system with NOD and Comodo just to run it a while and see again in comparison what I think. Will probably renew the license fro NOD because no matter the interface, its configurability cannot be discounted. Thanks again.

Gary

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you only have one computer then just stick with your current avira license. Its just as good as nod32 with the added bonus of a firewall. When the avira license approaches expiry then you can reconsider nod32, maybe v3 will be released by then. Save your money :)

9. huntnyc

After considering more over this, I think you are right. I will save my money and next year compare NOD and Avira and see what happens. Thanks.

Gary

10. huntnyc

Another followup, if I let my NOD renewal go beyond 30 day grace period, then I would have to start again paying the full price on new license as if I were a new customer? Is that correct and thanks. These programs are both so good it is still hard for me to make up my mind. Avira runs smoothly and so does NOD and Comodo. Thanks again.

Gary

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I think so .

12. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I think not.

1. I just called ESET and was told that there is no such 30-day window.
    2. Such a window would make no sense.

13. huntnyc

Then, what are you saying, either once we have owned a license, it does not matter if it lapses, we can still get a renewal price or we better renew before or on the expirey date or we are out of luck and have to pay the new license rate if we go back to NOD? Thanks.

Gary

14. Howard Kaikow

That's what I was told, and the other alternative makes no sense, as it would just encourage users to look at/go to competitors.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Gary,

In past threads in the Nod32 Forum when this question has been asked the answer has usually been the below answer in quote. In fact it gets asked enough that it has been placed in the Nod32 Forum FAQ section here with one of the links to that question linked to here.

I suggest you take some of these Nod32 questions to that support forum or We can move this thread to that forum for further Nod32 assistance ?

Bubba

16. huntnyc

Thanks for the answer.

Gary

17. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Well according to November tests of AVcomparative
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report12.pdf
    Avira and NOD32 are again at the top of the game.

As for my own personal opinion, I favor NOD32. It's small footprint and speedy performance is a winner with me. besides it also runs great on XP Pro X64.
    I have nothing but positive things to say about this product...

In the final analysis I think both are excellent products you can go wrong with either way.

Hope this helps!

18. Mascot

Mascot Registered Member

This seems to vary by country/reseller. I researched this just a few days ago for my stephdad that had only just noticed his subscription ran out in May(!).

I googled around and several sites stated "Licences expired more than 30 days can not be renewed and must instead be purchased as new."

My country's site doesn't even have any form of automated renewal. They ask you to mail them first to get information about possible discounts for renewing. I only discovered that after I told stephdad to just buy it anew so it's too late for him.

I don't even remember where I ended up buying from back when I did, so it should become interesting when renewal time comes around for me too.

19. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello Howard . I am NOD32 Authorised Reseller and I am sure in what I said . Bubba pointed the members/readers to a quote where Blackspear mentions about the 30-day grace period

Regards! :)

20. Howard Kaikow

then ESET needs to train its personnell better.
    The guy in the san diego area office told me that there was no such window.

21. mannagills

mannagills Registered Member

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i got kis6.0 installed yesterday and the realtime is light.
    somesay its lighter than nod32 on there system.
    lodore

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would love to see where some say that.:rolleyes:

24. Howard Kaikow

In the USA, KAV, and several other AV and IS products are frequently available for $0, or very low cost, aFTER rebates.

I have purchased 4 copies of KAV since 7 Nov 2006.

THe name of hte game is market share.
    THe model is Gillette, which just about gave/gives away razors and makes the monet selling razor blades.

The analogy for AV software is to grab the market share and make themoney on subscriptions.

25. Howard Kaikow

KaV is lighter than NAV 2006, but then what isn't lighter than NAV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.