Paid Shoot Out PG vs SSM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Given a choice which would you choose!

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Rico,

This is more a discussion question rather than poll material. The poll option has been removed.

Bubba

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

At this stage, not too much to debate on.

The only features that PG has over SSM are Secure Message Handling and the option of balloon notifications on its system tray icon.

SSM adds:
    • low-level keyboard and disk access;
    • registry control;
    • parent/child process control (i.e. program X can be allowed to run if started by Y but not by Z);
    • command-line options (critical for rundll32.exe and its ilk);
    • a basic outgoing-traffic firewall (intended to supplement an inbound firewall like Windows' own);
    • modules covering ini files, startup menu, services, windows (both visible and non-), hooks, layered service providers and network connections;
    • a process monitor including CPU graphs for each process (which is far less CPU-intensive than Process Explorer).
    With that list, the only thing in PG's favour is its simpler interface (SSM's is getting clunky with all the features offered) and low-key (no popups aside from execution ones) approach. However you do have to remember to manually disable some of its protections when installing some new software.

Finally PG and SSM can be run together so it isn't just a case of either/or.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

From my recent testing of the two i find ssm works a lot better for me although its UI isn't too great. I really like PS's simple UI however at this point it causes a lot more problems for me such as random freezing and stalling of my os and apps.
    My vote is for system safety monitor.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly another huge difference is support. They respond to problems posted in their forum, and get fixes out. On the other hand PG support o_O?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.