MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service MISSING in XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I just noticed that on my XP (SP2) system that I am MISSING the following service: MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

I'm not quite sure how this service just disappeared, but is there a way to RESTORE/RECOVER it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: HP tech support directed me to the link below in order to re-install VSS and repair MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service.

Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0b4f56e4-0ccc-4626-826a-ed2c4c95c871&DisplayLang=en
    I am hesitant to install this as I am unsure if it's the recommended thing to do. I'm afraid that it might screw something else up in my system.

Can someone please tell me whether or not I should download and install from that link?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Birdman,

If you don't mind me asking .... "how long ago was your last re-install?"
    Did FirstDefense support ever comment on VSS?

From a command line, result's please.

vssadmin list shadows

vssadmin list writers

vssadmin list providers

GF

3. Birdman

Last re-install about a year ago. I have not encountered any issues with XP until using FD-ISR (VSS mode). Raxco/First Defense basically said that this was due to a missing or corrupted registry or dll file. Also they mentioned that it's a "Microsoft" issue and suggest to repair the Windows XP Installation from the CD-ROM.

As stated in another thread, I do not have a Windows XP Installation CD and I'm hoping that the link I posted in my original post is going to solve this issue. However I'm a "noob" when it comes to this kind of stuff and any expert advise/help is greatly appreciated.

Is it recomended to use the link above to re-install VSS?

ERROR: 0x8000ffff

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
    Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
    Writer Instance Id: {b5ee9539-5d69-4e86-8ee6-cccfc73effbe}
    State: [1] Stable

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Service State)'
    Writer Id: {e38c2e3c-d4fb-4f4d-9550-fcafda8aae9a}
    Writer Instance Id: {7d047743-6469-45f1-b4d4-8afeb563fdde}

Writer name: 'Microsoft Writer (Bootable State)'
    Writer Id: {f2436e37-09f5-41af-9b2a-4ca2435dbfd5}
    Writer Instance Id: {90e9f900-5d43-44bb-8bb1-0478c7121216}

Writer name: 'MSDEWriter'
    Writer Id: {f8544ac1-0611-4fa5-b04b-f7ee00b03277}
    Writer Instance Id: {9e21d1b2-97d7-4d18-9192-53c48e13047e}

Provider name: 'MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
    Provider type: System
    Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
    Version: 1.0.0.7

4. GlobalForce

Hi BM,

If it's OK I'd like to see which service's you have running, preferably after a fresh boot. C/p the following line to a console shell, then upload as an attachment. SystemRoot represent's the partition your running, and where you'll find query_svc.txt.

sc query state= all >%systemdrive%\query_svc.txt

In a second post ~ or pm if you prefer ~ .... the content's please. Thank's.

dir %systemdrive%\progra~1 >%systemdrive%\apps.txt

------------------------------------------------------

"Is it recomended to use ...."

Unless someone other than HP tech can provide an answer, patience pls .... I've downloaded the package to investigate. As a side note .... have you ever attempted using Regmon to see what's happening when your COM+ System Application service terminate's? Whatever's causing that can't be good!

PS - NO expert here. Just trying to solve what you and so many other folk's out on the web are experiencing.

GF

5. GlobalForce

I'm uncertain what HP support thought you were going to do with that package. Viewing the attached readme should tell you right away it's neither a quick fix nor essential (I can't see it). It's exactly as offered .... 72.4m's worth of developer's soft that more than likely has no business occupying space on average user's hard-drive's such as your's or mine.

GF

Attached Files:

6. Birdman

HP support told me that VSS would be "re-installed" with that installation and that any corrupt or missing files, services, registry entries, etc. would be fixed. I have not yet installed that package because I had my doubts from the beginning.

Is there another way to re-install/repair VSS in XP without reinstalling XP Home from a CD-ROM? Thanks.

7. GlobalForce

BM,

In post four I was referring to COM+ shutting down because of the return error executing vssadmin list shadows. I'd prefer moving forward with my previous request's first, but if you have confidence trying to install the sdk I would suggest using erunt to back up your registries and setting a system restore point first. Tell me also if I'm correct that you do in fact have error's relating to the COM+ application service listed in event viewer.

GF

8. Birdman

Checking the Event Viewer.....I did notice 1 COM+ error about a month ago. Almosrt all the other ERRORS are related to VSS. Here's the description on the COM+ error:

The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\events\lcedisp.cpp(131), hr = 80040206: Failed to CoCreate EventSystem object.

I also found an ERROR relating to EVENTSYSTEM on the same day as well. Not sure if they are both related to each other or not, but it does mention something about COM+:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070002 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

And here's the VSS error that corresponds with the above 2 error messages:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

9. GlobalForce

In add/remove, which version of .NET framework is installed?

GF

10. Birdman

1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.