Backup Locations - Great if it works

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paul7876, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7876

paul7876 Registered Member

Has anyone been able to successfully create and use backup locations?
    Doing a search on the posts here seems to highlight loads of problems.
    I'm in conact with customer service at the moment, but as the replies are taking about 3 days to get back (understandable if they're busy) and the fact that there telling me to do things I've done before (attached screen shots for them), its kind of pointless.
    When I go to back up settings, TI10 hardly knows any of the programs I've got and won't even recognise Nero 7 on my system.
    I just wish I hadn't been in such a rush to buy my upgrade from version 9. Better still, should have gone elsewhere.

Paul

PS I'm just venting off because now Disk Director has suddenly packed up for no apparent reason

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Paul,

The Backup Location feature is working very well for me, however I’m only using it to make images to a second internal hard drive and an external hard drive. Could you be more specific as to the type of problems you are having?

As for the Backup Settings feature, my opinion only, I don’t see any value to it.

This is what the ATI documentations says:
    Back up custom settings of Windows applications. This is a subset of file-level backup that
    backs up predefined folders and requires minimum user selections. The program displays a
    list of supported applications that has been found on the computer, sorted by categories.
    You can select a random set of categories and applications.

Two things. First, the phrase The program displays a list of supported applications that has been found on the computer implies that it is looking to see what is installed on your computer, when in fact it is just a generic list. It should most probably say something like "The program displays a list of common applications that are supported." The manual goes on to say they will add applications in the future.

Second, the manual says backs up predefined folders. Predefined is where the settings go on a standard application installation. If one decides to install program “X” to D:\Program Files\X instead of C:\Program Files\X, will this compromise the backup?

CatFan

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

It depends on two things. First whether the application defines these locations in the registry (most MS ones seem to), and secondly whether ATI assumes defaults or reads the registry.

F.

4. CatFan432

Thanks, Foghorne

I'm assuming ATI isn't reading the registry, but it's a guess only. Edit: Regarding these files: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\BackupScripts\ If these are the script files for this feature, then it is reading the registry, but it doesn't appear to pick up custom installations or locations of application settings changed by the user.

CatFan

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. paul7876

Hi CatFan,

The problem occurs after selecting the location I'd like the backup locations to use.
    I've set a 100GB partition on my external drive, which is F:
    After selecting to create a location and choosing F: in the file requester window and clicking next, nothing happens. TI completely locks up but the rest of the computer is unaffected.
    Customer support have suggested trying the root folder, or expanding the F: drive tree by clicking + next to it, both of which I have done to no effect.
    The only location I can currently choose which works is My Documents, but saving the backup to the same drive I'm backing up makes the whole operation pointless.

6. CatFan432

Paul,

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling ATI10? I, and one other user I’m aware of, had different problems within the Backup Location Wizard that caused ATI to lock up. Both were solved by uninstalling and then reinstalling the program.

7. paul7876

Hi,

Unfortunately I've tried that a few times. I've also systematically stopped each program I've got running in the background one by one to see if that was the problem, and so far nothing.
    Strangely, customer support seems to have gone very quiet after suggesting I tried backing up to the root folder of my external drive.
    I've started looking at other programs now. They might have had my money for the upgrade to 10 but they won't be getting any more.
    Thanks for trying to help, if you've got any other suggestions I'd be grateful but to be honest I'm stumped.

Paul

8. CatFan432

Paul,

I don’t have a solution, but a question or two to see if TI isn’t seeing your F: drive at all, or if it’s the backup location wizard that’s the hangup.

If you don’t go through the backup location process, are you able to send a manual backup or a scheduled task to your F: drive? Or if you start through the Recovery process far enough to see the file tree, can you access F: from there? If you can access F: from other features of TI, you might forward that info to Acronis, who's support can be frustratingly slow, but in my personal experience they will try their best to solve problems.

CatFan

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Uninstall/reinstall might not be enough. Better to uninstall, then delete the Acronis directories under Progam Files\Common files\ and under Documents and Settings\allusers\application data\

Also, scrubbing the registry of all entries containing "Acronis" or Trueimage" isn't a bad idea, either. The times that I have have the Managed Directories (Backup Locations) not imposing the specified limits properly, that triple scrub and then a fresh install finally did the trick when nothing else would. It's either something in one of those directories or in the registry (that uninstall leaves behind) that can cause Manged Directories (Backup Locations) to malfunction.

good luck,
    sh

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You missed the Acronis device in device manager [​IMG]

Xpilot

11. paul7876

Hi,

I've uninstalled, ceaned the registry with Advaced Windows Care and EasyCleaner, manually deleted leftover folders like the scheduler, and it doesn't make any difference.
    The latest development with customer support is that they've sent me a program called Device Tree which takes a thorough look at my systems drivers and devices, I've sent screenshots back as requested and its being escalated to their expert team.
    If they manage to give me a working solution, I'll post it here, hopefully helping anyone else and stopping them from having to wait for an answer.
    Thanks very much for your help guys, its been appreciated.

Paul

12. Werni

Werni Registered Member

CatFan432:
    Did you already try to restore from an incremental or differential backup set an older than the newest version of a file/folder? It does not work! And what is much worse for me, I am not able to do a rollback from secure zone with ATI V. 10. Whenever I select an older date of backup than the last one, it consequently sets my selection back to the newest one! At least for the case of backup locations, there is a workaround
    (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154019 post #11):
    For restoring an older version of a file select the backup file not from the backup location, but rather from its location in the folderstructure.
    I agree!

I think here you are not quite right. It is true that ATI lists all supported applications, but it also looks up which ones of these are installed on your computer. In the list there is also a check box besides each application. If an application is NOT installed, the color of the box is a little bit fainter and you will not be able to put a check mark in it!

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Thanks for pointing out an additonal remain from uninstall.

Actually, I haven't had to touch the device driver file to get things working. That would be the quadruple scrub (unistall, delete remaining directories, purge registry, purge devices) but the triple scrub has been sufficient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.