Univ.Restore not working correctly

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gryfon, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gryfon

gryfon Registered Member

We have Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1 with Universal Restore add-on installed. We're looking to restore a backup image of our primary Windows 2003 SP1 domain controller onto another (different hardware) server, which will then replace the original server. The restore process worked without errors, and on booting up the new server the boot cycle looks like normal up until it says "Applying Computer Settings", which it stays on for approximately 7 or 8 minutes. During this time the keyboard NUM lock key and mouse work OK.

After around 8 minutes, the screen goes black, mouse pointer disappears.

I am able to boot up in "safe" mode and login to the system without issue. Checking the device manager shows all hardware has a driver allocated against it, no question mark signs there.

What should I do next? It seems that the restored image is potentially working, but I have no idea how to proceed to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,

Gryfon

2. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

What builds of True Image and Universal restore did you use? Did you use the Acronis Rescue Media, WinPE or BartPE to restore the image? Can you list the hardware you have in the server?

3. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

4. gryfon

gryfon Registered Member

From the Help->About Screen:

Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Acronis Universal Restore version 9.1 (build 3,666)

Created an Acronis boot-CD, booted into this on the new server, pointed it to my backup.tib file and once the restore was done rebooted the PC.

Hardware being restored to:
    Dell PowerEdge 2600
    Dual Xeon 2.8hz CPU's
    2GB RAM
    Perc4 Di RAID controller with 3 x 32GB drives in RAID config

Also....
    Just tried rebooting server and this time after a lengthy period with "Applying computer settings" the CTRL-ALT-DEL prompt appeared and I have successfully logged in.

Will do some testing before hooking it up to the network but at first glance it looks like we're up and running.

Thanks for the advice.

Gryfon

5. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

gryfon, glad to hear you were able to log in. Also, you should update TI and Universal Restore to the most current builds (3832) as 3666 is a couple of versions old. After they are updated you also need to recreate your Rescue Media Disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.