which AV has best adware/spyware/trojan real-time detection?

Discussion in 'polls' started by coldplay, Nov 14, 2006.

?

which AV has the best adware/spyware/trojan real-time detection?

1. Antivir

31 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Avast

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Avg

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. other ( plz specific in replies )

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Which AV has best adware/spyware/trojan real-time detection?

tired of run real-time this that all the time, my task bar is like 1 mile long.

I am gonna try to run 1 real-time shield only, so its gotta be an AV IMO.

dont worry about firewalls, I got it cover with router, hardware/software firewall. dont worry about on demand scanners, i got plenty of them for almost everything.
    And I understand AV is not a solution for anti-malwares but they do detect some of them, right.

If I have to run just an AV for real-time shield, which AV would be my best shot.

I got a little poll above , I list 3 free AVs only, plz specific AV it doesnt mention in replies, thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky.
    or antivir
    and nod32 being close.
    if you want just one real time app its gotta be nod32 or kaspersky no doubt they both have amazing track records and i hope alot of people will agree with me
    lodore

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If only a free version of these, I guess AVG against ALL kinds of nasty collection. See my post 22. and 27. in here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154014

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. coldplay

why is AVG, can you explain your choice?

according to my research, AVG isn't so good at detecting malwares and it makes sense that AVG only put efforts in its AVG anti-spyware to detect malwares.

5. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

@ coldplay I hope your aware of the fact that the free version of Avira Antivir has no spyware and Adware detection.

If your referring to free AV's then you've missed probably the best in this category Active Virus Shield (AOL's slimmed down FREE offering of Kaspersky AV).

I'm not voting but assuming they were all the free versions above, I would go with Avast (Home). Reason, because it offers the exact same detection as the Pro (paid) version and has more features then the others on the poll.

Otherwise it Active Virus Shield for me. Reason, it detects viruses, worms, rootkits, spyware, adware, dialers, and potentially dangerous software (remote accesss utilities, prank programs, jokes) with KAV detection AND trouble free regular updates, light, etc, etc, I can go on, and on, and on,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  6. marcromero

marcromero Guest

My vote would go to Dr.Web Antivirus, my second choice would be AVG 7.5 Anti-Malware, it includes av + as (ewido) under one scanner and active shield.

7. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

KAV 6. What else?
    Sincerly
    Cadoul from France

8. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

My answers (based on objective observations/independent tests, no subjectivity is involved):
    Trojan -- Avira Antivir(99.44%), Kaspersky(98.54%)
    adware/spyware -- anti-virus programs are generally bad at that, eg:
    The top contenders:
    ‧Trend Micro Anti-Spyware: 71.17%
    ‧Sunbelt CounterSpy: 68.47%
    ‧Webroot Spy Sweeper: 65.77%

The bottom:
    ‧Kaspersky Internet Security: 32.43%
    ‧NOD32: 30.63%
    AVG anti-spyware = Ewido (above average but not the top)
    Avast / Antivir (probably bad)

I have made a similar response at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=153759 (see post #15-19 - it has info about antivirus/firewall/antispyware and test sites where my comment is based on)
    Please spend some time and read it. It may be of great benefits to you.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

agreed.
    I would say use two apps.
    AV+ either some type of HIPS or antispyware/malware.
    it does seem that boclean plus av seems a great combo since boclean cleans up what the av misses.
    most av's these days use two processes and hips/antimalware/antipyware use one to two processes.
    lodore

10. coldplay

yes, i was referring to free versions of those 3. from screenshot I saw, Active virus shield has aol ads on its interface, I didn't that. thank you for the reminder :)

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

ADs can be ussually blocked by blocking TCP Out in Firewall, but anyway ADs are nasty. [​IMG]
    I would vote for AVS, because if KAV does not detect it (1 day period), then noone does. [​IMG]
    But, if I had to choose, then I would take Avira for realtime & KAV (AVS, MWAV) for ondemand.

12. coldplay

AVG Anti-Malware seems pretty fit

I give up on trying to use 1 real time app. I am using Antivir, SpySweeper for MSN and Comodo FW for real time defense. I am happy with them. If something still sneaks through, I will put up with that thing whatever that is.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

my vote goes for avg on this,

virus detection has improved with better heuristics and ntfs data streams scanning etc etc.

and with the added ewido now, this has to be a good good thing for malware, add that to the improved avg, and it gets my vote.

im looking forward to the next av-comparatives test results.

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A test about PUAs detection is already available. Most AVs score high points

15. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Good choice. :thumb:

However it is still possible for a malware to bypass all of them. So try to do more to reduce the possibility:
    - harden your operating system (Google to find more; you may turn to third-party app like SafeXP if you don't know how to configure)
    - run it as a limited-user account (not admin account which is the default one)
    - use sandbox to run potentially unsafe app (try sandboxie. It's free. Only run when you need, very light!)
    - install HIPS like Prevx1 or Online Armour or Safe’n’Sec (but you won't like that idea since they are resident apps)

16. yaggy

yaggy Registered Member

From the three you listed, Antivir would be the one you are looking for. Avast would be second with AVG last.

Based on your post, I'd say the one that best fits your needs would be AVS. Even though the GUI has AOL on it... Who cares, It does what you are looking for and has better detection than the other 3

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if anyone goes for active virus shield just dont install the toolbar!
    lodore

18. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

In reality I don't know if there is a huge amount of difference between them, I have seen this sort of question on many boards and the answers are the same, it really boils down to personal preference, try them get a feel for them and go with the one you like the best, I use Avast! on two of my computers and AVG on another. I tried AntiVir a few years back and didn't really like it. If I were pushed at the moment I'd probably side with Avast!

19. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

NAV 07

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You know I always wondered about this, but I guess it´s correct to assume that standalone anti-spyware apps are still better in catching spyware than AV´s ? I know that back in the days a lot of people claimed that you also needed to run dedicated anti-trojan software, but´s that not the case anymore.

So basically what some of you are saying is that for example AntiVir Premium, NOD32 and KAV/KIS have a lot less spyware signatures in their database, am I correct? And how the hell does AVG AS manage to perform so badly, they even changed their name and stuff, isn´t this a bit misleading? :blink:

21. coldplay

Do I still need a HIPS program ?

22. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

It's never a matter of "still" needing a HIPS - you can use JUST an antivirus with no HIPS, or 10 products with no HIPS. HIPS is not nessecary, it's just something many people use for extra control.

23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id say KAV for adware/spyware/trojan detection.

24. IBK

IBK AV Expert

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yep, the PUP test from AV-comparatives is all you need. But keep in mind that in order to have effective real-time spyware protection, you should use Windows 2000 or XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.