Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 compatibility with HP dc7700

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by WangChung, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WangChung

WangChung Registered Member

Greetings,

Today I tried deploying an image onto a brand new HP dc7700 Small Form Factor PC. It would appear the Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 doesn't detect the "Integrated Intel 82566 Gigabit Network Connection" built into this model.

The Boot process simply hangs at the Acronis splash screen. If I select 'configure network settings' you can see that there is no reference of 'eth0' under the network card option.

Any suggestions?

WC

2. raglandan

raglandan Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem - I have logged a job with Acronis...

3. WangChung

WangChung Registered Member

Excellent, thanks for doing all the hard work! :)

WC

4. raglandan

I got what appears to be the standard response from Acronis - regardless of the problem:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for using Acronis Snap Deploy http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/snapdeploy/

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please boot your computer from Acronis Snap Deploy Bootable Media or PXE Server and press F11 key after the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and you get to the selection screen? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the word "quiet", click on the "OK" button and select one of the menu items to boot. Wait for # prompt to appear.. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Send us the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette.

Could you also do the following in order to create Acronis Snap Deploy Agent logs so that we could continue investigation on this issue (this should be done on a target computer)?

* When the client side of Acronis Snap Deploy is starting up, wait for boot menu to appear and press F11. As you get the "Linux kernel settings" prompt, remove the "quiet" parameter and press OK.
    * Select Acronis Snap Deploy Agent.
    * After you get the command prompt enter:

product /mode:demon /log-level:verbose /log:../tmp/problem.log

and press enter.

* Reproduce the problem.
    * After you get the command prompt again insert a diskette into the floppy drive and enter:

mkdir /mnt/t
    mount -t vfat /devfs/floppy/0 /mnt/t
    cp /tmp/problem.log /mnt/t
    umount /mnt/t

* Send us the problem.log file from the diskette.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Oleg Yeremyanov

Acronis, Inc.
    52 3rd Avenue
    Burlington, MA 01803 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

I replied with (I copied and pasted your description):

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The PC's that I am trying to image don't have floppy drives so I am unable to complete the below command on the client. I tried to create the sysinfo.txt file on my PC but get the following error when trying to mount the floppy:

Nls_cp437.o: no module by that name found

I tried this several times - double and triple checking my typing - is there something I am missing?

From what I can tell it would appear the Acronis Snap Deploy 2.0 doesn't detect the "Integrated Intel 82566 Gigabit Network Connection" built into the DC7700 model. The Boot process simply hangs at the Acronis splash screen. If I select 'configure network settings' you can see that there is no reference of 'eth0' under the network card option. Any suggestions?

We urgently need this resolved as we have a large scale rollout planned...

Mark Thorn

5. raglandan

Finally got the below back from Acronis - this ISO image works fine - no word on an update so that PXE boot will work....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We suggest you the following way to solve the issue.

Download the ISO image using the link below and burn it to CD.
    http://download.acronis.com/sl/dfnifvkxdpypzdzdvyli/support/ticket/796606/ASD.iso

Please use this CD to boot your computer and deploy an image.

You can read how to burn a CD with an ISO-image at the following links:
    http://trb.org/publications/burning_iso.html
    (Nero Burning ROM and Roxio Easy CD Creator) http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

You can also use the freeware tools from the link below to build CDs from .iso files:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

If the issue persists, please send us Windows System Information file from this HP computer:
    - Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send us the saved file.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Note that you can quickly find the answers to your questions in Acronis Support Knowledge Base at http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/kb/

--
    Best regards,
    Oleg Yeremyanov

Acronis, Inc.
    52 3rd Avenue
    Burlington, MA 01803 USA
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Customer Service Department
    http://www.acronis.com/my/support/

6. raglandan

OK I may have been a premeture in stating that the bootable ISO works - Sure I can boot to create a master image and I can boot to Snap Deploy Agent but trying to deploy an image is a different story... I have been waiting 18 hours now and it has reached 52%....

Acronis support is slower still - Looking forward to using the remaining licenses and swapping products. Had a lot of problems with Snap Deploy that I have never had with Ghost...

7. Eric Friedlingstei

Eric Friedlingstei Registered Member

Hi! I'm having exactly the same problem!

Could someone send me the ISO that support hp 7700?

Best Regards,

Eric

8. Greytech

Greytech Registered Member

It seems that we are having the same issue with the HPDC5700's. We are switching from the DC5100's which have disco'd. A solution to this issue would be greatly appreciated as we are now reliant upon Snap Deploy for all of the imaging we are currently doing. I have 40+ PC's that need to be deployed by mid January and this will to say the least impead my progress.

9. TheSwordsman

TheSwordsman Registered Member

I just found this forum looking for a fix to the exact same dc7700 problem. I have 65 machines doing nothing because Snap Deploy doesn't detect the network card.

Has anyone heard anything new yet?

10. gunrock

gunrock Registered Member

Yeah, I've got the same problem too! This is irritating. I initially bought Snap Deploy because this was the only product I could get to work properly with the dc5100 NICS! Ghost didn't have drivers that would work because HP did something to the NIC firmware or something IIRC.

11. t.steinkogler

t.steinkogler Registered Member

same hardware - same problem.

snapdeploy 2 doesn't detect the network card
    server 9.1 doesn't detect the network card
    workstation 9.1- you won't believe – detect the network card and works fine AND ~fast

hmmmm…

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  12. Greytech

I recently recieved Build 2,114 and booting from the CD now WORKS! :D :D

However, for some reason the PXE boot no longer works... but hey at least I can get some imaging done and hopefully they will be able to resolve my PXE boot issue.

THANK YOU ACRONIS SUPPORT!!!

13. raglandan

Ok I have recieved several different versions - including one bootable ISO that does kind of work - It just wont change SIDs or rename the PC on reboot. The latest build I have recieved is 2,077 - I have not recieved 2,114 for some reason that Acronis can probably only explain. The latest build I recieved also stopped my PXE working and still does not have DC7700 drivers....

It has been 9 weeks since I first raised this issue with them. Has anyone ever had a worse resopnse to a problem from a software company than this?

14. Homerboy

Homerboy Registered Member

I'm trying out the demo of snap on a deployment of 7 Dell Optiplex 745s and it doesn't seem to see its NIC card either.
    I'm using the 2.0.2105 build it seems as that is what I downloaded from the acronis site. Is there a newer version?

I actually tried my boot media in an older, white-box machine and it seems to conenct to the Deploy server, but on the "connecting to Acronis OS Deploy Server" screen, where it lists the IPs etc, it just gives me 2 green progress bards that never move past ~10%

I'm REALLY hoping this program pans out as it seems to be able to do everything (and more) than I'm hoping for... that is, if it ever gets working.

15. Homerboy

I guess I'm also missing something here...

I boot from media on the master PC... if I have the imaging software on the boot disk I can create a image of the sysprep'ed HDD, but ONLY locally to the master PC? I can't create the image directly to the OS Deployment server?

I could hook up a USB HDD I guess to the master, create the image, then plug the USB to the OS Server and transfer there, but is there a way to just create the image over the network directly to the OS server?

Regardless, I'm still at a loss with no support for the Opti 745 NIC

16. raglandan

When the PC is booting it gives you the option to click OK to configure Acronis Snap Deploy Agent - or something similar. Click OK and then look at the network setting - if there are no settings in there then it does not recognise the NIC and therefore you wont be able to do anything network related - connecting to the Deploy Server for example...

17. Homerboy

yeah I know... that is/was the problem.

Support gave me links to new files to create new bootable meida with. This allowed me to boot into image craetion and create an image on a netowkr shared drive just fine. However, now if I boot into Snap Deploy, the machine simply wont get an IP (NIC is seen though) and therefore wont connect to the Snap Server for image deployment.

Email sent back into support explaining issue.

18. JamesM

JamesM Registered Member

A temporary solution using the Acronis PXE server and no RIS server is to install an older NIC. I would boot the HP machine with the built-in card and a Dlink card. Both had network cables plugged in and active. The PXE process would work for the built in card. Once the splash screen appeared under options, I would set my server up with an IP of the Acronis server. Then under network I would see eth0 and would say "Marvell-Yukon ....). The DHCP assigned IP would show and it had appropriate information like gateway etc. Then we started the process by accepting the options.

I think the deploy actually used the Dlink card. It was weird that eth0 showed up as Marvel Yukon.

Hope this helps as a path to a solution. I guess an option to do a large rollout via PXE is to buy 5-10 older NICS (on the market for a year or so) and install in the new boxes for deployment then keep swapping them out for the rollout.

19. sammydavis

sammydavis Registered Member

hi,

we also have the same problem:
    we have about 150 dc7600 which works fine with snap deploy,
    BUT
    we have now 20 new dc7700 (and growing) which doesn't work!

with trueimage workstation we have no problems with the dc7700

i hope acronis will solve the problem!

20. Robert_SDM

Robert_SDM Registered Member

I am having the same issue, does anyone have the latest ISO they can send to me? If so you can either e-mail it to me or upload it to me here.

Thanks.

21. BillBowen

BillBowen Registered Member

Got the same problem when trying to image a new Dell Dimension 9200. The system will boot from the PXE Server but once into Master Image Creator, if you examine the network settings, there is no eth0. If you boot from a CD for Workstation 9.1, the program won't see the SATA drive. Is this gonna be fixed soon?

Billbo

22. tarrant64

tarrant64 Registered Member

I too would like to see some sort of solution. I am in the same boat with the HP dc5700's. However, I have contacted support and am waiting for a reply with information on how to get the ISO that supposedly works.

Glad to see it wasn't just me. :)

23. Greytech

So basically I am in the same boat at the rest of you (using the HP DC5700's) and was able to figure out a solution. Thru my research I was able to aquire different versions of Snap Delpoy and finally got the PXE boot to work and push the image. Here is what I did:

Install the Deploy Server and Management Console from version 2,115.
    Install the PXE boot server from 2,105

PXE boot Works with my DC5700's! I have sent this to support thinking they can figure out why and come out with an update, but its been a month or so and its still not working with the latest release. Not sure if it will work for the other PC's that are having this issue, but would like to hear if it does.

-Greytech

24. tarrant64

tarrant64 Registered Member

I have just received word back from Acronis support this morning with ISO's to download the 2105 build with the deploy and image agent. Works fine with the dc5700 now.

25. sherd

sherd Registered Member

Hi tarrant64, I got the same problem with dc5700. I browsed the Acronis web site but did not find any updates or patches. Could you share the image of boot cd? That will be a really helpful :rolleyes: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.