F11 usbmouse=off acpi=off potatoes and butter

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by St?phane P?neau, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. St?phane P?neau

St?phane P?neau Registered Member

Hello,

With so many TI users who need to add something in the F11 entry to be able to use the standalone True Image, why Acronis don't add the possibility to enter these options workarounds directly in the rescue media builder interface ? So we won't have to type them each time we start from the rescue media.

I know, it' a workaround for another workaround. The best solution should be a complete hardware support, but I'm afraid we will see this F11 menu during a long time...:(

Best

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree. In fact it would be a much better "new feature" for TI10 than some of those provided.

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Agreed. I would even settle for a text file which I could add config to before building the rescue media.

F.

4. b00sfuk

b00sfuk Registered Member

For some time you have been able to contact Acronis support and be sent a boot CD ISO image with the ACPI/APIC stuff included. You can burn this to a CD and use a rescue media. Don't know if it includes the usb mouse bit. Also you can edit F11.cfg in you Windows install before creating the Secure Zone and that allows F11 boot to work.

5. St?phane P?neau

I don't know if Acronis can easily add this function, but as I've already done it manualy on a TI flash key, It seems possible without spending weeks on this feature.

6. St?phane P?neau

I don't remember all my test results, but I didn't reach to add a tib file on a dvd burnt with a TI iso file.... and if I need to contact Acronis each time I build a new computer, or each time a new build is released, I'd better spend that time to find another software.

F11.cfg ? It doesn't change anything for the rescue media creator.

7. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

ABSOLUTLY! I agree 100%! If they would allow us to make a custom F11.cfg file for our machines I would purchase the 10 upgrade. I would have hoped that would have been done by now. It takes forever for Acronis support to generate the special ISO's for us, and it's a PAIN IN THE ASS to download it each build so I can boot using the restore media without having to type acpi=off noapic all the time.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It could be assimple as additional startup options on the first screen,

A) Full Version [without special startup switches] -- If program doesn't load, reboot and try option B.
    B) Full without power management -- If Full Version didn't load previously, try this option [includes the acpi=off noapic switiches]

C) Full with basic mouse support -- If usb mouse behaves erratically [includes usbmouse=off swtich]

D) Full with power managment and USB mouse switches -- Includes B and C.

If all else fails Mini Version [formerly misleadingly Safe Version]

Admittedly, a alittle scary for novices but not as scarry and program that doesn't load and they don't know what to do about it.

sh

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  9. St?phane P?neau

Shieber,

Good idea, but i'm afraid the boot menu could become too much bigger if you have disk director too :

TI full
    TI B
    TI C
    TI D
    DD full
    DD b
    DD c
    DD d
    One click restore
    Boot windows

10. seekforever

Whatever method is used it should be stored with TI on the HD so if you are restoring a system partition from "within Windows" and TI needs to reboot to load the Linux program it will have access to the desired config file or whatever to run properly without user intervention.

Doing test boots from within Windows could be part of the program setup procedure to get a working configuration for the machine which would then be stored.

11. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Would do nothing, since in Windows all of the windows drivers are correctly loaded. Case in point. I can run the FULL version from within windows, however I can not run the full version from Linux.

12. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Agreed. That is why the f11.cfg file should be looked at and used! Maybe a 2 step menu.

TI
    Disk Director
    One Click Restore
    Boot Windows

When selecting TI or Disk Director changes to show those options.

I doubt anything will come quickly on this since it's been this way since the beginning and no one at Acronis seems to care about this, if they did this suggestion would have been in 10, or 9 or, 8 etc... I'm looking forward to seeing if it gets in 11, 12, etc.

One thing is for sure, they aren't getting another dime from me, until this is fixed. I'm actually thinking about switching to BING because of this MAJOR inconvience.

Yes, I know I can use BartPE, but I like fast, and at almost 2 minutes to load BartPE, which is unsupported!, I like the restore disc option better.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

seekforever was talking of '...restoring a system partition from "within Windows" and TI needs to reboot to load the Linux program...'

In that case TI works wit Linux, not Windows, drivers. Same as when booted from Rescue CD - only that you have no option to select Safe mode.

14. seekforever

Exactly! In fact TI in Windows probably does what I am proposing; it collects the data about the restore,writes a file and reboots. The Linux TI reads the file with the restore parameters and executes.

15. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Ah! I understand now, that is most likely the BEST way to handle this, and so it most likely will NOT be the one implemented. :-(

16. St?phane P?neau

I'd like to read something about this discussion from Acronis...

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis Media Rescue Builder simply writes the already compiled standalone version of Acronis True Image to the provided media (CD for example). The Linux Kernel parameters like "acpi=off noapic" or "usbmouse=off" can be added either the way it is described in Acronis Help Post (F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears) or directly into Acronis Loader configuration files. In the second case one need to recreate the Bootable Media.

Please note that as b00sfuk mentioned in case you need the Acronis Bootable Media with special parameters please submit a request for technical support. We will investigate the problem and provide you with the Acronis True Image Bootable CD with needed parameters.

Also as it was mentioned in case you use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager you can modify F11.cfg file the way it is described in this previous post to start Acronis Startup Recovery Manager with predefined parameters. This applies to Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

18. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Acutally your response is not valid support!

You will not find current information about modifing the linux kernal in those messages. If you need to edit the f11.cfg file, it's not in the trueimage home directory, it's actuall in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome and YES! that is the correct path, no matter if you install TrueImage to some other drive. I actuall HATE!!! programs who allow you to specify where you want to install the program, and then put other files on your C drive. PLEASE change this BEHAVIOUR in the future builds!

19. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hmmm... It maybe there on your computer. It is where it should be on mine along with the OS and programs on Drive D.
    Perhaps it is some quirk you have introduced when using disk director ?

Xpilot

20. pjiv

pjiv Registered Member

Your OS is on D: drive? My OS is on C: but I install everything to D drive, so when I format C: my programs remain, just have to reinstall them and I'm back in business. So If your OS is on D: then maybe my post should have read... OSBOOTPARTITION:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome

And yes, I do have Disk Director installed as well, however I do not think this is a factor since I uninstalled True Image Home, and Reinstalled it and I got the same results.

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pjiv,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my explanation.

As you said, if you are using Acronis True Image 10.0 Home (or Acronis True Image 9.0 Home build 3567 or higher) Acronis Startup Recovery Manager configuration file (F11.cfg) is located in \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome

Please also note that as most programs Acronis products install the main part of the program to the user specified directory, however, certain files (common elements, often DLLs (Dynamic Link Libraries), some configuration files etc) are located in such folders as Windows, Windows\System, Program Files\Common Files.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.