just questions. .

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Kathyhl, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

I really didn't want to start a new topic, however, this was the first place I found to ask 2 silly little questions.

1. If just want to ask a question that doesn't fit with other things I'm reading, how do I go about doing that?

2. When Comcast came and installed their equip. to take me off dial-up and out of the dark ages, I found that when I start up my pc it now goes back to asking me to put in a p/w rather than going directly to my desktop. How can I change that back?

Also, and you may not be able to tell this by my questions, but I've learned quite a bit just within the last 2 days I have been coming here and reading all the posts. Thank you so much for the knowledge!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Kathy,

Nice to hear from you again. :)

Don't feel bad about creating a new topic, we have over 10,000 of them here and over 80,000 posts within them. :eek: So usually you just look for a forum section that sounds like it's the best fit for your question and start a new topic there.

You'll notice there are a few official product forums here, those are just for discussions about those products. Then there are some general categories, (starting from other firewalls on down), which are separated by subject matter. Their use is fairly obvious.

If a topic is security related, but doesn't fit in a specific category, you use other security issues. If it's about any type of computer software or service, but is not necessarily about security, the Software & Services is a good fit. These two forums are kind of catch-alls for general topics.

If a thread is social or general in some other way then ten-forward is the place for it. As for the rest of the forum, the top 4 are very specific. Announcements is where we put special read-only topics related to the forum. General Topics is not actually "general" in the sense of being for just any subject matter, it's actual for general "forum related problems" like logging in, forum cookies, website errors, etc. FAQs has a few answers for some frequently asked questions, usually again about how to use the forum (posting, avatars, etc.) And the Test forum is literally just a place for people to test postings. We clean out the items from Test fairly frequently.

I don't think you've told us yet what version of Windows you are running. That's important regarding how to bypass the login screen. Let us know and we'll go from there. :)

I hope this helps,
    LowWaterMark

P.S. A little later I am going to move this thread from "Test" to a better location. Not sure where just yet, but we'll see. ;)

3. Kathyhl

thank you so much for the quick reply, and darned if I didn't give you what I'm running :p. It's a win98. There are so many small things I can help people with re the PC, and then there seem to be so many others things that make me feel like I just purchased my first pc yesterday, rather than 9 years ago o_O I do feel however that with this forum I may be able to start bridging that gap. :)

Thanks again for your help and knowledge.

4. LowWaterMark

Hi again,

Take a look at the images below and tell me if the login box looks like one of those (and which one). Each is enabled/disabled differently and for different purpose. There may be some dependency from the ISP about you needing to use the network logon...

Is there a required username and password that you must enter when the box comes up or it won't let you on your ISP connection?

Attached Files:

5. Kathyhl

thanks Lowwatermark. It's the box that says "welcome to windows", but I don't need to put in a p/w, I just hit enter and I then go to my desktop.

Also, I've been reading quite a bit on this forum, so of course one thing led to another, and I went to look for my IP address, but I don't have one, I do have an adapter address. Is that suppose to be considered an IP address now that I'm using a wireless router?

I need to re-name myself "the pest" ;)

6. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi Kathyhl,

In the Windows directory, there is a file that ends in the extension .pwl Delete that file and the next time you reboot, when the password window comes up, click on the OK button instead of hitting the enter key. That should take care of the password window for you. The .pwl file will be recreated in case you were wondering.

7. LowWaterMark

Well, regardless of how you communicate from your PC or your router, you do have a public IP address that is assigned by your ISP. Everyone on the Internet has and uses a public IP address somewhere along the way when interacting to sites beyond their ISP network. Your router knows your public IP address.

This image below should tell you your public IP address.

http://www.auditmypc.com/myinfo.asp?t=nolk

Now, for all those who haven't seen any of these types of images before... No, this is not an image that has anyone's specific information in it. It's just a gimmick (trick, if you like) where your own browser assembles the image so that it displays to you, and you alone the information it knows about your system.

For more on how these things work, see this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12527

8. Kathyhl

Thank you very much VIETNAM_VET and LowWaterMark. I have learned so much today. Even downloaded two new spy programs.

This is a terrific site for learning from some very nice people. :)

9. LowWaterMark

We're glad to help. :)

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

and a big welcome to ya Kathyl :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.