CA AntiSpyware (the old Pest Patrol) damaged SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Frank the Perv, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

SpywareBlaster was rendered inoperable upon downloading the new version of PestPatrol.

Just a warning to others.

Carry on.

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

It appears that CA Anti-Spyware is not going to allow me to reinstall SpywareBlaster.

That's pretty annoying.

3. don1954

don1954 Registered Member

I have same problem after installing CA Security Suite
    Any Suggestions

Don

4. don1954

don1954 Registered Member

CA Security Suite blocking Spay Blaster

Hi
    CA Anti-Spyware is not going to allow me to use or reinstall SpywareBlaster.

gives this error message "This program has been damaged, poosible caused by a bad sector of the hard drive or a viruis. Please reinstall.

When I reinstall same error message.

Strange thing is autodate is working.

any advice would be apprecated

Don

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Yep Don, same message.

Thought/questions...

*Has PestPatrol improved that much anyway? Is it worth it to have that software? I read the website list of improvements, but I'm not impressed.

*If I opened in safe mode and then reloaded SpywareBlaster, would that just lead to problems? Or could it get it set in the system so it can operate?

*Since I already have Ewido active (or whatever it's called now), is there a benefit to having CA AS? Is my greater value to have SpywareBlaster?

6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Ewido is probably enough for antispyware because I think some companies sort of inflate spyware's dangers a bit. It will annoy you, but won't kill your computer so even if you're infected you can just remove it. Pest Patrol is fine but maybe just dump it and keep Ewido + Spywareblaster, that should be more then adequate these days.

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I just wish Javacool would just get on the phone and call CA and tell them to knock that sh*t off.

Javacool is kind of a hero of the people in the security realm.... they would not ignore him.

I don't really want to give up either product.

8. ESQ_ERRANT

ESQ_ERRANT Registered Member

I can confirm that. I just rebuilt my computer and loaded up my programs (PG, WG, First Defense etc.,) and several antispyware programs, including CA Antispyware 2007, which is the new version of "PestPatrol" -- the latter of which had stood me in good stead for the last couple of years.

Upon attempting to load up SpywareBlaster and Eulalyzer, I was hit with the error message, "this program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it." I uninstalled and attempted to reinstall the programs in safe mode and had no problem, but the programs would not open in normal mode. I scanned for viral infections and spyware infections (notably CWS), using numerous antispyware and antivirus tools, but, as I expected, the machine was clean as a whistle, so I figured that the problem I was having must be do to a conflict with one of my legitimate programs and I ultimately traced the problem to "CA Antispyware 2007." I have contacted the Company to make it aware of the problem.

As more notices of this specific problem trickle into CA, I hope that the Company will provide a patch. If I receive a reply from the Company -- I notified the Company last night (Eastern Daylight Savings Time) -- I will post it to Wilders.

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm aware of the issue, but I haven't heard anything yet about a possible fix from CA. The only workaround I'm aware of at the moment is to disable the CA Anti-Spyware component (formerly Pest Patrol), and reboot. (Note: The newest version of CA Anti-Spyware causes issues with some other programs as well, because it tries to inject its code into other processes to hook various APIs.)

If anyone experiencing the problem could please contact CA support and pressure them to develop and release a fix, I would greatly appreciate it - sometimes having enough customers email over an issue does wonders for getting things done. Thanks! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D:D :D

11. aliastom

aliastom Registered Member

Snipped from the Spywareblaster FAQ:

• SpywareBlaster does not need to be running to provide protection.
    • After you enable protection for any/all items, you can exit the program and you will still be protected (SpywareBlaster does not need to be running in the background).
    • You do not have to start up SpywareBlaster each time you start your computer either - your protection remains in place until you disable it whether SpywareBlaster is running or not.
    • But don't forget to run SpywareBlaster at least once a week to download the latest updates and enable protection for them!
    I opened and updated SpywareBlaster in safe mode until I found your post that identified the problem. I chose to uninstall CA Anti-Spyware and to email CA support about the problem. I won't reinstall it until they release a fix because, according to javacool's post here, "The newest version of CA Anti-Spyware causes issues with some other programs as well, because it tries to inject its code into other processes to hook various APIs."

I will post their reply here when and if I get one.

12. ESQ_ERRANT

It's been a few days and I have not heard back from CA since I contacted the Company via E-mail about the problem of compatibility between Javacool's SpywareBlaster and Eulalyzer and CA's Anti-Spyware. I am more than a little put off by the Company's failure to respond if only to at least acknowledge my letter to them. Having spent good money for the CA Anti-Spyware software, I will remember this lack of response the next time I happen to come by an advert for another CA product.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:ninja: While I have not used Spyware Blaster. I have researched it and followed the testimonials on it for years.

I picked BOClean over PestPatrol years ago.

I have used CA products over the years and find them slipping and getting worse not better. This is just another fine example of it.

If I had to pick I would dump CA PestPatrol and go with SpyWare Blaster.

Power to the People :D :D :thumb:

14. ESQ_ERRANT

Did I hear back?

I just received an alert from my Kaspersky anti-virus program that it had detected a trojan: "Trojan program Backdoor.Win32.Rbot.bnb File: C:\DOCUME~1\roger\LOCALS~1\Temp\$37D73FBD.t$m" -- which was neutralized. I looked up "Win32.Rbot.bnb" and found it first and prominently listed on a CA virus watch list site. I also happened to see it specifically referred to on a couple of Chinese sites and on NOD32's database site. Kaspersky's database did not have it specifically named, but, fortunately, did detect it as a threat.

Did this just happen to happen or is this CA's response to me -- i.e., "many happy returns!" :blink: In this age of paranoia, how can one know for certain who's who and what's what?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  15. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Update:

The recent software update of CAAS now allows SpwareBlaster to operate normally.

I credit CA for making the software adjustment to allow for both to operate simultaneously.

16. ESQ_ERRANT

Thanks. I would like to use CA's antispyware app since I paid for it, but not at the cost of losing SpywareBlaster even if SpywareBlaster is free. I am glad that CA did respond in a positive way.

17. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

And thank you Javacool, ESQ_ERRANT & others who wrote CA to pressure them to fix this issue.

I was kind of not feeling kind toward CAAS, but there is recent evidence that the product is actually pretty decent at sniffing out spyware.

But as a matter of principle, I was going to dump it.... but everything is good now.

-Frank the Frigg'in Perv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.