cant use restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bm1, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

What version and build are you using? Do you have any wireless devices, any usb devices including hubs? Are you running TI from their Rescue CD or from within Windows?

3. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

well is TI 10_ and im running from windows it works fine whith TI 9

4. Ralphie

If TI 9 works fine, stay with that until the bugs in TI 10 are worked out - just before TI 11 comes out.:D :rolleyes: :D

5. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

lol____if acronis support reAD this then i wont my money back:'( they cant continue like this to make bad software:mad: stupid of me to order TI 10 again

6. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

does anyone from acronis reads this___really need help to restore my disk:oops:

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing TI 10?

If you've made a rescue CD, what happens if you use that? In fact I've only ever seen that type of screen either from a cmd box or in the Linux environment of the rescue CD.

Colin

8. Ralphie

Now serving number 666. LOL. Try what bodgy suggests.

9. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

anyone from acronis hereo_O

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hi have you tried the things suggested?

Perhaps your rescue CD is corrupt, I'd suggest making one using a RW CD or perhaps try using BartsPE which uses Windows drivers rather than Linux may get you going.

Have you raised a support ticket with Acronis? It is a better guarantee of getting your problem solved, than hoping Acronis see your post and look at it.

Colin

11. Keesne

Keesne Registered Member

I use trial version ATI 10 build 4871 and I get EXACTLY the same error message as the first poster. My computer runs Win XP Pro, has two 305 Gb SATA hard discs, no USB discs or something like that.

With an earlier version of ATI the Startup Recovery Manager was also unable to recognise the two hard discs in my computer, producing the following error message: "hub.c: connect-debounce failed, port 2 disabled", and subsequently the error message: "E00101F4: Acronis True Image has not found any hard disc drives".

When running ATI 10 (as well as the earlier version) from within Windows, backing up and restoring works correctly. The problem seems to occur only with the Startup Manager (also when using the startup CD).

These are fairly critical and essential bugs in the software, and some other threads show that one cannot speak about isolated ones.

12. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

damn acronis has recived a mail about this bug __no ansver yet well is nothing they can do

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Regarding what Keesne mentioned about the error message received - TI is often a bit shaky enumerating external USB some Hubs and devices.

IF your external drive is connected via an external hub or you have a number of USB devices plugged in, try removing them and just have your backup drive connected, preferably to an actual motherboard port -normally the ones at the back of the computer.

Colin

14. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

i made a recovery cd__and gues what it works when i pick the Safe Version:D but no Full Versiono_O and acronis support they dont ansver when send mail to them:'( dont know what to do!!! when try to restore from windows i cant chose Safe Version

15. walt s

walt s Registered Member

I also have the same screen dump as BM1 and Keesne.
    Like bm1 my acronis support ticket is still unanswered ( for 7 days now #778943 )
    Like a windows bluescreen, the register dump isn't useful to me - perhaps someone here can guess what "/lib/modules/piix.o" is used as a driver for ?.
    Safe mode restore does work ... but is agonisingly slow. To restore between two internal SATA drives it takes ~12 min per Gb. Useful, but only for dire emergencies and without network or USB support etc.

I am not using *any* USB devices for my test configuration, so I doubt USB hubs are the issue.

Are bm1 and Keesne also using core 2 duo systems ?. I suspect the problem with build 4871 is with a lack of support for any of the intel 965 chipset motherboards. Its odd as recent linux builds don't appear to have any problems.

I tried the 4871 restore disk on my older i865 based machine and found the restores about twice as long as with TI8 and had a wildly erratic USB mouse driver ( random mouse movement, random selection, reversed axes etc. ).

In any case I upgraded from TI8 foolishly expecting to get my recent, but now commonplace, system supported; I count 26 varieties of core 2 duo i965 motherboard sold on "newegg" alone. What I have purchased is virual jewellery - pretty but somewhat useless.

Walt S.

16. JTH

JTH Registered Member

I have the exact same error, and I've tried everything mentioned in this thread.

I mailed acronis support about it a few days ago, haven't got any reply yet.

Needless to say it's damn annoying, I wondered which one should I buy true image or norton ghost, now I really regret I didn't choose ghost. :ouch:

Usually when one buys a faulty product, he can expect a refund, I wonder how it is with software? (never had such issues before, everything I've bought so far have worked).

My setup is as follows, in case someone has solved this issue, please let me know how.

E6700
    ASUS P5B
    Corsair 2 x 1 gb DDR2
    Seagate SATAII HDD
    7600GT
    Using Windows XP Pro

17. Keesne

Keesne Registered Member

Re: cant use restore // caused by core 2 duo system??

walt s wrote:

I also have the same screen dump as BM1 and Keesne.
    Like bm1 my acronis support ticket is still unanswered ( for 7 days now #778943 )
    Like a windows bluescreen, the register dump isn't useful to me - perhaps someone here can guess what "/lib/modules/piix.o" is used as a driver for ?.
    Safe mode restore does work ... but is agonisingly slow. To restore between two internal SATA drives it takes ~12 min per Gb. Useful, but only for dire emergencies and without network or USB support etc.
    I am not using *any* USB devices for my test configuration, so I doubt USB hubs are the issue.
    Are bm1 and Keesne also using core 2 duo systems ?. I suspect the problem with build 4871 is with a lack of support for any of the intel 965 chipset motherboards. Its odd as recent linux builds don't appear to have any problems.

Yes, I am using a core 2 duo system, that could indeed be causing the problem. (When I was using ATI 8 on the same core2 system, I had a similar error). BM1, could you confirm you're using a core2 duo system as well?
    Hope Acronis is doing something about it soon, core2 systems are becoming increasingly mainstream. By the way: I did not purchase ATI 10 and I won't until this bug has been repaired.

18. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

yes i have Core2 6600 mhz, asus mainboard, 4gb ram and this is what i get from acronis

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please try the following workaround:

- Boot the computer from Acronis True Image bootable rescue disc (Full version);
    - Hit F11 key after the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and you get to the selection screen of the program;
    - After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "acpi=off noapic" parameter (without quotes) to the end of the Linux kernel command line (so it will be "quiet acpi=off noapic");
    - Click OK button.

i will try this later!!!!

19. walt s

walt s Registered Member

That won't help - It was the first thing I tried. You'll still get the same crash.
    Worse the crash leaves the command line unable to function so when acronis next request you generate a "sysinfo.txt" file, you won't be able to. Latest drivers -"SnapAPISetup.303_s_e.msi" or a fresh download won't help either... asking you to try these is just more stalling.

There are a few reports of people sucessfully using "Core 2 duo" CPUs with some of the few i975 chipset boards that accept them. Supposedly intel D975XBX and asus P5WDH boards don't have issues with TI 9 or 10 for example.

It seems certain then that the problem is with the i965 chipsets - perhaps intels ICH8/ICH8R "southbridge" or perhaps the JMB363 used for cd/dvd IDE ports ( *all* i965 boards also use this JMicron brand JMB363 chip, though Gigabyte relabel it ).
    TI8 and TI9 usually respond with "no drives found" , TI10 with our kernel crash and register dump.

My machine variously reports the error as on CPU 0 or 1, and with the latest driver pack the last few lines now read:
    $ /bin/insmod libata
    using /lib/modules/libata.o
    libata version 1.20 loaded
    $ /bin/insmod ata_piix
    using /lib/modules/ata_piix.o

Those lines don't vary when I change the ICH8R's mode from "enhanced" to "compatible", with or without ACHI support, etc in BIOS. So my current hunch is that the driver for JMB363 ( needed to access the CD/DVD ) is to blame.

Hey, At least you're getting a reply.
    I'm sure Acronis will figure it out eventually, but its very frustrating not having a quick and reliable restore especially when setting everything up on a new PC.

Walt S.

20. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

well this is what i have...

intel core2 6600
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

21. John Brim

John Brim Registered Member

HI
    I can confirm that the JMicron brand JMB363 chip on my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe M/board is causing the CD Boot disk to fail with the same error at
    the start of this thread. I proved this by disabling it in the BIOS and then running the boot cd again. I was able to run the full version of TI 10 with no problems. The only problem for me is my 'C' drive is connected to the JMicron interface so I hope that TI produce a fix soon.

22. walt s

walt s Registered Member

Nice work John, It seems pretty certain then that the problem is the JMB363 ... not core 2 duo, not the intel 965 chipset.

Its a solution for bm1 also ... provided he can live with the four SATA ports provided by his ich7r; simply avoid using JMB363 ports and disable it in BIOS.

Not yet good news for i965 chipset owners though...unless they can purchase a SATA CD/DVD drive the JMB363 is needed for its ATA port. SATA DVD drives are still very rare, expensive and quirky.

Cheers,
    Walt S.

23. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

hey
    I can confirm that the JMicron is the problem when disabling it works:) acronis should fix this problem...... thank you ALL (acronis support should learn something from here!!!!)

24. walt s

walt s Registered Member

Glad it works for you bm1. :)

It seems the problems with JMB363 are well known amongst the linux crowd ...
    There the issue appears to have cropped up with kernel 2.6.17, and is fixed by some security patches and in kernel 2.6.18 release candidates. See for example this lengthy thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=234706.
    Hopefully Acronis can patch the working drivers into their Kernel ( 2.4.33 ). I've tried, but the task is beyond my skill and understanding. :(

Meanwhile P5W-DH owners can switch the JMB363 off in BIOS, and all the i965 based motherboard owners can try to borrow SATA DVD writers.

Waiting for Acronis may take a while... I finally got a reply, but that reply suggests they still don't understand the problem :(

Cheers,
    Walt S.

25. bm1

bm1 Registered Member

lets hope they fix this bugo_O o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.