SpySweeper manual defination update

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gevin, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gevin

gevin Registered Member

anyone know where can i download SpySweeper defination file?

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

3. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Thank Chubb. I got the same answer at CastleCops Spysweeper forum(unofficial forum) too. I always think, a good antimalware or antivirus product must provide an alternative way to get your scanner up-to-date, as you will never no when your system will go down/offline on any sudden attack/hi-jack.

Have to suggest an alternative Antimalware to my friend instead, :blink: :mad:

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi gevin,

Webroot's policy of not providing offline updates maybe due to the fact that Webroot is trying to combat piracy. For example, a number other security software like NOD32, KAV 6.X, A-Square, SUPERAntispyware only offers online signature or definition update. Pirated copies of security software can be easily found in some crack sites. The security software company require that you go online to check for updates so that the server can check if your license key is valid, genuine or generated by a keymaker. KAV goes further by updating the backlisted key list periodically.

By having the convenience to download updates and applied manually, for example, pirated users may just use a keymaker to generate a serial number, avoid going online to have the license key validated, and then download the definitions manually and applied it.

Offlne definitions are useful if the installer of the security software are not updated periodically to incorporate the latest signature. For example, the latest version of KAV 6.0.303 is released around the end of July and if you install KAV 6.0.303 today, you will get very old definitions packed with the installer. Offline definitions helps to keep your KAV update to date before you are connected to the internet to fight against the latest virus.

Of course, there are pros and cons on making the definition available for download separately, and most security software company are taking the strigent approach by offering only the online update functionality.

5. wings

wings Registered Member

What a nonsense to hide that you're using a cracked version.

6. gevin

gevin Registered Member

You will know what is a nonsense one day when your system got infected. but of couse i will pray hard that wan't ever happen to you. You have the right to speak anything, sense or nonsense, but please i am just a guy try to help my friend. Thank for your useful comment, anyway! :isay:

7. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Dear wings,

If your comment will be help full like what TheTOM_SK's Avatar
    TheTOM_SK's post here help me solved my friend will much more appretiated.

8. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Hi Chubb,

Agreed & understand with you on difference vendor will have difference business strategies/approachs to serve their client & combat piracy. But sometime really get mad when you bought a piece security software, but unable to do anything to help you to stop malware hijacking your browser. Lucky problem sovle now.

One thing i always believe, Do not even use pirate copy of security to protect your system. If the hecker able to crack the software, i am sure they able to put some nasty crack/trojan in your system too.

And most silly there is, a lot of FREE & GOOD security ware, AV, AS, FW & security suite to latest HIPS/CIPS technology protections, available all over the net for user to have the best protection, i still see a lot of user take the risk.

The other issue, i find a lot of user purchase a lot of good/big branded security ware installed on their system. Then they will thing they SUPER safe to do anything now, when they not even notice, their security have not been updated or some mis-configure not function properly at sometime for some reason. i always got the same cliam from my friends said, "But i have AV installed on my system!".

Some will stay in 90's, though AV is enough to do the miracle to protect them from every threads. Sad but this is true scene.

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi gevin,

There is a method that you can update Spy Sweeper offline. However, you need to have two machines, one connect to the internet and one do not. On the machine that you connect to the internet, you install Spy Sweeper, update the definitions, and then copy the updated definitions files to the machine that is not connect to the internet by way of a CD or USB storage device.

However, I do not know where the spyware/adware definitions files are stored. There is a file Masters.base in C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper and in C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\Masters, I have masters.mst, masters.bak and Masters.const. I have no idea if these are the definitions files, but I think they are. You can raise a ticket and ask technical support if these master.xxx files are the definitions files for spyware/adware.

I only know that the virus signatures are located in C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\AntiVirus. This is for sure.

So you may try to update Spy Sweeper on the machine that is not connect to the internet this way. This is the only way I can think of at the moment. :)

10. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Hi Chubb,

Thank for your update/info. Actually it is my friend pc got infected although he got spysweeper installed (but realtime shield not on & outdated for unknown reason). My system don't have spysweeper installed or license. But i did help her to clear/settle most of spyware/trojan by installed other free scanner( Adaware, Spybot, AVG AS Free, SAS free & DrWeb). Left 1 last stuborn IE hijacker from 1 chinese website, fixed using solutions from TheTOM_SK.
    Currently her system is up again, and SS are running & upadted, plus keeping AVG AS free. Codomo FW do provide little HIPS potection, is running too. Whether she will keep Spysweeper in future is her choice.

Anyways, I think your tips on SpySweeper manual defination update still will be useful for other spysweeper users here. Thank for your helps, appretiated. :thumb:

11. doogie88

doogie88 Registered Member

What kind of idiot company would not allow you to update manually?
    I am getting an error, can't connect to server. So there is no way for me to update definitions? What a piece of garbage.

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

For how long did you get the server connection error? When doing manual update? I was able to update the definitions without problems in these few days.

Manual definitions updates are also not avaiable from NOD32, Norman, KAV6.X, A-Squared, BOClean, SUPERAntispyware, etc. I don't think they are garbages or idiot companies.

13. doogie88

doogie88 Registered Member

I uninstalled it, screw it.
    I've had a virus before where I think it was Nortons wouldn't work, so luckily the browser still worked, and I could update the file manually.

14. gevin

gevin Registered Member

like Mr. Chubb said, difference co. have difference policies, is up to them as a vendor to provide what type of service to the users. But hey! we user also have the same rights, to choose which service that suite our needs. I know is very angry if your system already/highly possible get infected when you already have security ware installed, that what happened to my friend. I told her, get no angry, get another antispyware, where there are a lots better ware, and the it fix your system. Get the job done, that is most important!

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, it is very true. If manual update is a top priority, one might need to weight pros and cons when choosing security software. A user may like KAV 6.X or NOD32 very much, but unfortunately they don't offer offline update, so if manual update is a top priority, one might need to consider other AV like BitDefender or whatever.

Windows XP is another example. There is no rollup update after SP2. Everytime when I restore my XP to a previous state with no post SP2 hotfixes, I need to take a least half an hour to to go to Windows Update to download all the post SP2 hotfixes again and install them, which is quite troublesome. Paul Thurrott of WinInfo has criticize this practice some time before. If XP SP3 is only a collection of hotfixes with no new features, why can't Microsoft release an updated, cumulative and downloadable post SP2 rollup update every month? But Microsoft is unwilling to do so, for whatever reasons, and I have to live with it, unless I don't use Windows anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.