where have I gone wrong ...?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mypenry, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

Well to day I received my registration key and pass word for NOD 32, V 2.51.26 and downloaded it, set it up with the
    help of the Blackspears settings, and did a scan …well I think I must have set some thing wrong as nearly
    all the Files Etc that were scanned ended with the words in blue …….

File Locked
    Access denied
    Password protected
    Error in opening

The scan took 21 Minuets on 182148 files - Number of threats found …1 Number of Files cleaned 1.

Can any forum members point this Newbie to where ive gone wrong …?

Thanks ……….. Mypenry

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Welcome on the board ! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2006
  4. mypenry

HI ..Huwge

Thanks for your reply, the link you gave me was the same one
    I use to set up my NOD 32, so ive been over the settings again
    and cannot see where ive gone wrong..? any ides ..?

Thanks .......... Mypenry

5. covaro

covaro Registered Member

@mypenry

You did nothing wrong. NOD32 is simply one of the few anti-virus software programs that tells you when it can't scan a file. The [4] File Locked errors are either because the file is in use and locked by another process or you do not have permission access that file.

As far as password protected, well it's what it says, the archive is password protected, so therefore NOD32 can no scan it's contents.

Generally speaking, your NOD32 is working fine and you should be protected.

-Cov

6. mypenry

Thanks covaro,
    AS a Newbie , it came as a bit of a shock to see nearley all the File Locked errors and password protected items, Does that mean if the File is Locked
    NOD 32 can't scan it ...? so I don't know if I have any infected files...?

would it be better to run NOD32 in safe mode ( File Locked errors are either because the file is in use ) and in safe mode they may not be in use ..?

and as for the password protected items, this is my first new computer and ive not passworded any thing...?

your comment ( or you do not have permission access that file.) how do I get permission please ..? would it make any difference to the scanning if I did ...?

i was looking forward to installing and running NOD32 on my new machine, but now I don't feel so good about it ..?

is there any way that I can get all the locked files and password protected items to be fully scanned at all ....?

Thanks .......... Mypenry

7. mypenry

Ive just been looking at Blackspears settings NOD 32 extra settings,
    and just wonderd about this ( a newbie Question ) ............

from Blackspears settings ........

Re: Extra settings for Nod32

1. As I have used /local this now shows all drives that are in the process of being scanned.

2. [4] Locked Files are password protected or Windows System Swap Files, it is unlikely for such a file to be infected, however the possibility still remains .

If its the possibility that Locked Files or password protected items are unlikely to be infected ,...( but the possibility still remains ) .... how can I get my NOD 32 to check the '' possibily Locked Files or password protected files ..? if they cannot be checked out whats the point in having the application in the first place..? or may be as a newbie ive got it all wrong ..?

Thanks .........Mypenry

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , because Windows protects them , nothing touches them :ninja:

9. mypenry

Thanks for your comment, HItech boy, may be I am missing a point as a Newbie…….?

I still think I may have set some thing up incorrect in the configuration, as I can’t still understand
    Why when I run a scan, the results show nearly 99 % of the items scanned as ending in ….

File Locked
    Access denied
    Password protected
    Error in opening

Surely 99% is a large number of items to end in the list shown above…?

My other thought is about a comment made in Covaro’s post …………….

(You did nothing wrong. NOD32 is simply one of the few anti-virus software programs that tells you when it can't scan a file. )

So if NOD32, tells you it can’t scan a file, and taking into consideration the comment in ( Blackspears settings NOD 32 extra settings, )

Re- 2. [4] Locked Files are password protected or Windows System Swap Files, it is unlikely for such a file to be infected ……….

, (But however the possibility still remains _)……. then if the possibility still remains how can NOD32 scan these Files…?

If NOD32 is simply one of the few anti-virus software programs that tells you when it can't scan a file, and its showing me it can’t scan 99 % of the files on my computer

, how can it tell me if any of the files it can’t scan on my computer are infected …? So is there any point in having an
    Application that tells you it cannot scan some files , when the idea I would think is to scan all the files on your computer .. As blakspears said
    It’s unlikely for such a file to be infected …But however the possibility still remains ….?

When I do my next NOD32 scan, I would like to print and attach the scan results here on this topic , can some one please tell me how I Do this please

your comments and advice are most welcome .

Thanks ………….. Mypenry

10. ugly

ugly Registered Member

What you see there is not 99% of your files !:blink:
    If you want to see them all you should use this option (activate it befor on-demand scan) :

nod.JPG

Best regards.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No you are not seeing every file, you are only seeing a certain type of file, that being “locked files”, Infected Files, and those that NOD32 has dealt with.

It is extremely unlikely for such a file to be infected, however I have seen it once, and I know of another that has seen it a few times (a network support engineer). What happened in my case was definitions were released about 48 hours later and the infection was dealt with, hence my warning that the possibility remains.

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

12. mypenry

Thank again Guy's for your advice and support, as ive only been running NOD32 for a few day's I thought I would see how the NOD 32 support
    option worked with reguards to my topic problem, so I sent the support an email outlining my problem , and here's their reply......

Private email removed - Ron

their reply took only one day, this along with you Forum Guy's kind help has now made things a lot clearer....

Many Thanks ......... Mypenry

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
  13. zoranb

zoranb Registered Member

Are those files locked the only ones that cannot be scanned or does it cancel the whole proccess there?

14. mypenry

Thank again Guy's for your advice and support, this is some more information given to me about my
    topic problem...........

There are several possible reasons for the blue locked file messages – many are system files which are in use by Windows (because Windows is running). Also if you have Windows ME or XP then System Restore may be enabled – this will produce a lot of blue entries as the System Restore folder is a protected system folder which can't be scanned by any program.
    If you have Ad-Aware or Spybot installed, these also both have protected folders which they won’t let anything else access, including antivirus programs. Also, if you have multiple user logons (i.e. user profiles) on the PC , and some of these profiles are set to be private, then NOD won’t be able to scan them unless you are logged in as that user. This would produce an ‘access denied’ or ‘password protected’ error.
    In essence these are nothing to worry about, other antivirus programs would not be able to scan these either, it’s just that NOD tells you when it can’t scan a file.

Thanks ......... Mypenry

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

You did it , you answered yourself to your request . May be your post (quoted above) is the most correct answer . I am sure you now understand .
    :thumb:

16. mypenry

Thanks ....HiTech_boy

Well its taken me some investergation to be able and understand the Answers to my first post and finding out that '' all '' other antivirus programs would not be able to also scan Locked Files, password protected Files ,
    Etc was a revelation to me .

I just wonder how many other people know this fact ,,? may be its only Newbie's like my self...?

so Thanks for all the help and advece....

Mypenry .............

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome , myperny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.