BullGuard 7.0 Released (Bitdefender+Outpost)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ianlai, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianlai

ianlai Registered Member

http://www.bullguard.com/images/bg7/top2.jpg

Antivirus

Upgraded version from 6.1
    New interception-code. Faster and more reliable on-access protection.
    Still based on the reliable scan-engine from Bitdefender.

Antispyware

New plugin!
    Intercepts spyware and adware before it gets installed
    Scans your computer for resident spyware.

Firewall

Completely new engine!
    Based on the award-winning Outpost firewall-engine.

Spamfilter

Upgraded version from 6.1
    Improved engine, with increased precision in analysis – higher catch-rate, fewer false positives.

Backup

Completely new version!
    Online & local backup. Place your data on your online drive, or any local available storage.
    Integrated support for Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail backup.
    Optimized data-transfer for faster backup.

Support

New plugin!
    Built-in chat and e-mail contact to our Support Team.
    Get help instantly, straight from the application.

http://www.bullguard.com/info70.aspx

more information and discussion: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146005

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the info.

can someone post the resource usage?
    and the number of processes?

can you choose which modules to install?

thanks in advance
    lodore

3. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Kaspersky + Outpost that would be very good !!

Bitdefender + Outpost is good! :D

4. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Thanks for the info. :D

Looks good, but quite expensive IMHO. Well, I might try it anyway. Should I? :eek:

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well,a much awaited release...

6. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Not that it may be a deal breaker for most, but I did find out as with several of the suites, the antispam module is only integrated in Outlook and OE and there is no way to train or add to black and white lists if you use any other mail client. KIS has the most flexable antispam I have seen but Antivir beta is looking good - at least you will be able to train it no matter what client you use.

Although the anitspam is probably not as important as antivirus, firewall, and antispyware, I wish it was not compeltely useless to those of us who don't use Microsoft's clients. All the rest though seems good to me in this suite.

Gary

7. Technic

Bullguard.exe is using whopping 85 megs of RAM. :p

Otherwise very pretty and stable. Firewall is much more configurable than Anti-Virus.

8. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I tried to install the trial verson and Counterspy 2.0 beta detected suspicious activities and stopped the installation. Then I disabled CS 2 to install it but my XP desktop failed to load after I rebooted and logined. It seemed that the BD component did not like the existence of NAV on my system. I think incompatibility with other AV programs is certainly a known thing of BD and that CS 2 just had a FP in this case.

9. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Is that true?
    ~Link removed. Rogue site. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

My Review Of Bullguard Internet Security 7

In this area of computer protection the choices are vast and sometimes overwhelming. Which often leaves the consumer compromising on one or more components within their Internet Security Suite (ISS). For instance one may have a complicated interface but good anti-virus scanner and fantastic firewall. While another may have a sleek interface,but poor anti-spam filters.
    Some reviews favour certain programs because they have been given a complimentary copy to comment on. I’m writing this review as a normal consumer I trial software and if I like it I buy It. Occasionally If I find something to be outstanding I write a review on it. And here we are!

I have been using Kaspersky ISS for the last year and as usually happens it became time for me to renew my subscription. I wasn’t totally unhappy with Kaspersky It performed well stopped viruses blocked hackers and did a pretty good job. However the compromise factor was always there, I found the interface a little boring and not very friendly the anti-spam was a little clunky and hard to configure and as time went on it took longer to initialize on start up. But It was still better than most. I downloaded a few ISS trials and found the compromise factor was always there and in all cases higher than that of Kaspersky. Until I stumbled upon BULLGUARD.

From the moment you hit their uncomplicated yet very informative website you know this is going to be something you can trust. There are no complicated stats or pie graphs no scan now pay later buttons no annoying buy from our partners pop-up’s. Just all the information you need about the most important thing “The Product”. And slap bang in the middle of the page not hidden in small print or in the terms and conditions is their 30 day money back guarantee pledge for all to see. This is very reassuring, I know most companies offer this but its usually listed in FAQ’s which implies that information is not readily available. The trial download is a fully functional version and is quick and easy to download and install. It’s not a vastly over bloated programme (19.0MB) which makes it accessible for dial-up users to download.

Once installed you are greeted by a slick clean lovely red control panel. The interface is designed in such a way as to make it extremely user friendly. In fact I kept opening and closing it a few times just to enjoy the sheer eye pleasing look it had. And two days later the novelty still hasn’t worn off.
    The Descriptions of your security level, what each function does and what it recommends you do is not only in plain English its in friendly plain English.

There is a great help button at the bottom of the interface that gives you help on the particular screen you are on, quickly and easily via a slide out panel. This is far better than massive pages of help screens and type question for help boxes that is usual in these programs. The program checks automatically for updates and definition files regularly and can be configured to check on the hour every hour write up to every ten hours so you are always up to date (very reassuring). and automatic installation of these files is quick and efficient.

The Anti-Virus component is powered by the BitDefender engine which is a very well respected and trusted antivirus scanner. The scanning options are easy to understand with descriptions of what each does as well as information when it was last performed, again in friendly plain English. There are four scans: My Computer, My E-mails, My Documents and Quick Scan. The background scanner is brilliant scanning all files and e-mails quickly and quietly in the background. Again simple sleek and effective.

The Firewall component is powered by Outpost again a well respected and trusted firewall. This is a new component as Bullguard had previously used the sygate firewall engine which did not receive very favourable reviews. But once again it’s good to see a company listen and learn from their small mistakes and implement not just a minor tweak but a major change for the better. These two components make Bullguard a serious contender and more importantly give us users total confidence in the product and company.

There are two views for the firewall information beginner and advanced I have found no reason to touch any settings. And when the firewall does ask permission for something to access the internet, the box that appears is easy to understand thus making the choice the right one. Rather than it being a gamble or hit and miss situation. The firewall is not over paranoid and uses it’s built in rules effectively. It’s easy to understand and extremely efficient.

The Anti-Spam is again easy to configure and understand, previous versions of Bullguard had received criticism for its Anti-Spam with some reviews stating that it was over viscous with what it considered to be spam. And it was hard to train and configure. Again this problem has been radically addressed and now the Anti-Spam feature seems to be very strong indeed. It currently only works with MS Outlook or MS Outlook Express, which may turn a few people off but I’m sure an update for Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora etc will be in the pipeline soon. I found the Anti-Spam easy to train using the wizard and the buttons on the Outlook toolbar (spam/not spam). Again the information is clear and concise and easy to understand.

The Anti-Spyware component is coupled with the anti-virus which means that as you scan for viruses you are also scanning for spyware I think this is great and makes for a very efficient and reassuring scan. There is of course the ability to scan individual files and folders using the familiar right click and select “scan with Bullguard” again this will scan for both viruses and spyware in one hit. I’m not for one moment suggesting that everyone should ditch their resident anti-spyware programs and just use Bullguard, but it is reassuring to know that the anti-spyware component is an effective product in it’s own right rather than being a sudden after thought, as so often happens.

The Final Two Components In My View are the icing on the cake…

The Backup component allows you to back up important files and settings onto Bullguards secure servers so in the event of any major disasters your files are easily retrieved from any PC with an Internet connection. You can also back up to any external drive, Removable media USB stick etc.
    Back-ups can be scheduled to take place automatically, and the process is quick and easy and once again explained extremely well indeed. With one years subscription to Bullguard ISS (£34.99) you get a whopping 1gb of on-line storage included. I checked around on the internet and for 1gb of on-line storage for a year from backup.com it would cost you £80.57 ($149.50)
    I was never much good at maths but to me that seems pretty good value.

Now onto the final component
    The built in help system. This is a 24/7 real-time, real people instant help desk you can send an e-mail and have a response within an hour, or send them an instant message in real time. The interface is again easy to understand and lists your messages and any replies you have. This really is cutting edge and fantastic to see. it once again proves Bullguards commitment to customer satisfaction and the confidence they have in their product.

12. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

@ adi200:
    please can you post some screenshots of the firewall?
    Thanks in advance

^Ale

13. Technic

Thanks for review adi. I would consider to buy this suite...but it is way too expensive. :doubt:

Can't find any special offers for this suite either.

14. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

main screen

Attached Files:

15. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

Firewall Screenshot

Attached Files:

16. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

Main Overview screen

Attached Files:

17. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

Support Screen

Attached Files:

18. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

In A Previous post I found someone state that Bullguard uses a lot of ram I think they said 85megs I haven't found that so.

Attached Files:

19. Technic

Maybe it depends what kind of system specs you have. Bullguard.exe is 84 megs here. :p

Process report by Advanced Task Manager, http://www.innovative-sol.com:

--------------------------
    Process: BullGuard Main Service;BullGuard File Scan Service;BullGuard Email Monitoring Service
    File: svchost.exe
    Located in folder: C:\WINDOWS\System32\
    PID: 1396
    Service: Yes
    Size on disk: 14 Kb
    Size in memory: 39.2 Mb
    Active time: 0:1:43
    Total rating: [-][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] -7 %
    No windows or system tray icon: ---
    Not certified: -
    Has file description: +
    Internet server: ----
    No uninstall: -

Description: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-215
    Company: Microsoft Corporation
    Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Process: BullGuard Firewall Service
    File: svchost.exe
    Located in folder: C:\WINDOWS\System32\
    PID: 1312
    Size on disk: 14 Kb
    Size in memory: 5.8 Mb
    Active time: 0:0:1
    Total rating: [-][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] -7 %
    Not certified: -
    No uninstall: -

Description: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-215
    Company: Microsoft Corporation
    Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Process: BullGuard
    File: bullguard.exe
    Located in folder: C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\
    PID: 836
    Service: No
    Size on disk: 113.5 Kb
    Size in memory: 82.8 Mb
    Active time: 0:0:6
    Total rating: [+][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] 7 %
    Visible system tray icon: +
    Has certificate: ++++++
    Startup program (registry): -
    Has uninstall: +++

Cert name (friendly): BullGuard Ltd.
    Cert name (simple): BullGuard Ltd.
    Issuer (simple): VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2004 CA
    Issuer (friendly): VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2004 CA
    Has certificate: BullGuard Ltd.
    Description: BullGuard
    Version: 7, 0, 0, 3
    Company: BullGuard Software
    Copyright: ©2006, BullGuard Software. All rights reserved.
    Internet server: UDP *:* Listening
    Startup program (registry): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (BullGuard)
    Uninstall: c:\program files\bullguard software\bullguard\uninst.exe

Process: BullGuard LiveUpdate
    File: BullGuardUpdate.exe
    Located in folder: C:\Program Files\BullGuard Software\BullGuard\
    PID: 960
    Size on disk: 553.5 Kb
    Size in memory: 4.6 Mb
    Active time: 0:0:0
    Total rating: [+][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] 11 %
    Has certificate: ++++++
    Has uninstall: +++

Cert name (friendly): BullGuard Ltd.
    Cert name (simple): BullGuard Ltd.
    Issuer (simple): VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2004 CA
    Issuer (friendly): VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2004 CA
    Has certificate: BullGuard Ltd.
    Description: BullGuard LiveUpdate Service
    Version: 7, 0, 0, 0
    Company: BullGuard Software
    Copyright: (c) BullGuard Software. All rights reserved.
    Uninstall: c:\program files\bullguard software\bullguard\uninst.exe

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  20. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Thanks adi for your review and the screenshots.

^Ale

21. wir.sing

wir.sing Registered Member

If it would be the Kaspersky Antivirus instead of the Bitfender and if it would include a HIPS I would be happy like a fat kid in a candy store. Although I think the including of a HIPS would be the more important issue. Couldn't then thinkg of a feature Bullguard would be lacking.

22. maiya

maiya Registered Member

there is a 20% discount if you choose to buy a BullGuard subscription during the first 3 days of the trial; you also get a 20% discount if you renew in the last 7 days before the subscription expires:p

23. huntnyc

Trialing Bullguard 7 and liking it. The only thing I don't like is the Antispam which only works with Outlook and OE. Other than that, I really like this program and might really be tempted to choose it ofr my suite even with that one negative. There are plenty of free antispam programs and plugins that work with The bat! which is what I use for email. thanks for al the feedback on this program.

Gary

24. huntnyc

On first scheduled scan of computer, scan takes a big toll on processor load more so than other suites I have used.

Gary

25. adi200

adi200 Registered Member

yeah I found that too, but after the initial scan it seems to speed up, and according to bullguard FAQ an update for other e-mail clients thunderbird, eudora etc is to be implemented shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.