Of FW's, AV, leak tests, terminations etc.,

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jrspie, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrspie

jrspie Registered Member

Hi,
    I've been reading through some of this forum and am now far more confused than when I awoke this morning.
    I have a pc w/XP Home and SP2. I'm disabled and cannot aford to lose what I've got to some slime ball gaining access to my files or emails.
    I'm hooked to Verizon DSL. with Westell 327W box, and am currently trying NOD32 and Comodo FW.
    There has to be a point where security can really work properly. I tested Comodo last night ( newest version) and it was like a seive. It failed at least 4 tests. I should've written down which ones.
    NOD32 has a horrible interface and I still can't figure out what it does. Eset's site is not overflowing with simple everyday descriptions and instructions.
    So how do I at least come close to bullet proofing my pc.
    I've just installed Prevx about an hour ago. Used it once before and like it.
    Now I'd like to find a way to tighten the security on the Westell-I'll check their website.
    I need a FW that is fairly easy to use and that doesn't leak or self destruct.
    And I need an AV that will really do what it's supposed to.
    Hope some of you can help.
    Thanks,
    J.

2. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Jetico has been rated pretty high with regards to leak testing. But the program is not geared for a newbie. You will have to tinker and learn more about your system in order for Jetico to be effective. This website selected Kaspersky 6.0 and Ghost Security Suite as the overall "best choice" for firewall leak protection.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/reward_stats.htm

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Outpost (v4), Jetico, and Comodo (v2) all fare very well against leaktests, tho Jetico might not be as easy to use as the other two.

5. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

If Comodo is failing leak tests, why don't you visit 'their' forum and ask? They have plenty of helpful folks over there that can help you assess your problems with Comodo.

6. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, I have a westell modem/router through bellsouth (not the same model as yours) and I fail port scan tests. You can check comodo's logs to see if any ports were actually scanned or not.Most likely your modem is causing you to fail the tests.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Isn't it common for firewalls to fail the ping test when a router is used? I find that to be true for mine.

Best,
    Jerry

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

On my router I can disable the ping, so I'll pass that test. :)
    Probably you can do it too on yours.

Attached Files:

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Comodo forums has a FAQ page for help setting up and usage...

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,894.0.html

and a forum page about leak tests...

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/board,55.0.html

10. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

I'm confident that if set up correctly, Comodo will pass leaktests near 100%. In fact, most of the minor issues I have encountered with Comodo cause it to be overprotective. The links Joliet Jake provided are good places to start.

11. jrspie

jrspie Registered Member

I thank all of you for your help.
    I've got Comodo working properly. No leaks and fully stealthed per GRC site.
    I've been trying NOD32. Blackspear's instructions were great.
    But I'm not experienced enough to have to write command line instructions just to schedule weekly or daily scans.
    Even Eset's help show how to do it without writing commands but what they show isn't to be found in their product.
    Again, thanks.
    J.

12. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Good to see jrspie! I would agree that NOD does not have the most intuitive interface, but it is a fantastic antivirus. Amongst its numerous strengths, it seems to always co-exist beautifully with other security applications, including Comodo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.