Anyone heard of Winosar?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Supposedly, this is a free process monitor program. Anyone tried it?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

If you mean Winsonar ive heard of it but have not tried it.Happy with my current setup.But if you decide to try it post back with your opinion on this software,would like to hear someones findings on it.

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

steveio uses it, maybe he will drop by?

Alphalutra1

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have used winsonar in the past. It is okay but needs time to get a tight anti-executable setup with it.

dja2k

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

@ ejr

Never heard of winosar lol, but winsonar definately.

As Alphalutra1 correctly mentioned, very well remembered, i do use winsonar and have been doing for some time. I have never had any problems with it, and found it easy to set up. It has saved me on many occassions when i've tested it with malware etc that i've tried to launch.

wsth8.png

Until you have all the programs you want included in winsonars database, you should not enable the box i've highlighted with a red arrow, otherwise they will be killed the instant you try and start them whilst online. Which is exactly what you want to happen to malware of course. Instead choose the yellow arrow highlighted box area, and select your scanning mode speed of interception in advanced options.

After the learning phase is over, which can be as soon as you like if you start up and allow everything you require straightaway, then enable the red highlighted box in place of the yellow highlighted box area to protect you whilst online. You can have offline protection as well if you like in learning or other mode.

Also included are several other very useful features and tools.

The price is nice too ! Try it yourself and see, i think you might like it.

StevieO

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I used it and paid very dearly. It is a very good piece of app, however, on the same token, very effective too. Due to its lack of full info regarding process, user often mistakenly deleted critical ones, and end results are sudden death of entire system. This has happened to one of my test pcs. Therefore, use it w/ extreme caution, and IMO, rather not to touch it unless very very necessary.

7. StevieO

@ Perman

I'm not sure what you mean or what you did ?

It's impossible to delete ANY actual programs with winsonar. What you can do is remove any program you want from the safe or unsafe database, or add to them. No software removal or deletion ever takes place !

You must have removed one or more programs from the safe list, and winsonar just stopped it from starting as it wasn't in it's list anymore. You could have added them back in at any time and you wouldn't have had any problems.

As with all new software the help file is there to read, before you go ahead and make changes without knowing what you're doing. Winsonars help file is very easy to follow and self explanatory i found.

If you're not sure of some process etc, all you have to do is google for it before excluding it or including it.

StevieO

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Stevie, you are right, winsonar can not delete any process, what I meant was to deny that process w/o google it. I still think it is not for average user, although it is a good app.

9. StevieO

@ Perman

Hi, i'm glad we got cleared up with regard to process deletion etc, as i wouldn't like people to get the wrong idea about it, and be put off from using it.

Any new program needs some time spent getting to know it and make the most of it. Winsonar is actually easier and quicker to set up than some other similar ones.

StevieO

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Winsonar is an excellent unheralded app, comes with process watcher and blocker as well as TCP/UDP module, also has good termination protection.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you do a search here at Wilders, there are several threads about Winsonar.

Winsonar is good for a freebie, but it is a bit convoluted to set-up & use. If you want free protection in this category, you might want to try one of the following...

System Safety Monitor free version
    WinPatrol
    Arovax

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was thinking it is free?

BTW, I found it user unfriendly, there is no way to arrange the process list alphabetically that I really hate. It,s really hard to navigate the process list to search for some specific process. Though I like it as it is the only non-signature based memory scanner I have found.

It needs work to make it easy to use.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As I know Winsonar is a bit different, it,s is basically a memory scanner with some extra features.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just checket it was updated about 2 years back, so seems to be lacking any development. 2 years is a lot of time for such a product not being updated.

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Updated version 2007, v.7.01 just released. Any improvement? perhaps a replacement for demised Process Guard free ? Anyone? You can d/l from majorgeeks.com

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

wow, i not used this program since i first had 98SE and am really surprised it's migrated into the future the way it has.

I still retain a copy of it on my other drive (win98SE) but had no idea it was used also by Win xp's.

17. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@Perman

according to the developer's website, he made the following changes in winsonar 7.01.03 :
    http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/default.htm

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SSM will do same( except port etc, not familiar stuff for me) with a lot more.

19. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

The Winosar is an extinct herbivore creature from the Mesozoic Era. Studies of fossilized bones indicate that the Winosar, while capable of walking on two legs, spent the majority of it's time moving about on four legs due to it's propensity to partake excessively of grapes, elderberrys and other fruits which man later made into wine; thus the name Winosar.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.