Kaspersky Beta Products - safe to use for home pcs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by epv888, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epv888

epv888 Registered Member

Hi guyz,

How u all doin? ...

I'm a newbie here and would like to know if you think it's safe to download and use kaspersky beta products as a free solid antivirus protection for home PCs?

Thanks! :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As long as you do remember that they are still in the Beta stage of developement.

3. btman

btman Registered Member

there on Pre TR now and there have been lots so it must be somewhat stable... But personally I do not use them because generally there is a new one every 1-4 days. Test at your own free will

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You don't have to install every new build. You can stay with a build that works well for you. Eventually, you may have to move to a newer build because the beta key will expire. I have the paid version of KAV 2006 but I am using an older beta build instead with a beta key because it has a new tab that I really needed.

If you want KAV free though I would suggest AVS from AOL. For me though on my older 98SE box where I have installed it, the registration is rejected by KAV servers so its runs great and is very light for 98SE but I can't get new definitions because I can't register it. I have contacted AOL and got one email that was not helpful and no more replies. However, most folks get it to work just fine without any need to contact AOL support. So, you might consider it. It is KAV 2006 with a few missing features.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you want a free AV, there are many good ones. Don't use any beta unless you have a good backup and disaster recovery plan in place. At any given time, any given beta can be a disaster. That is the point of the beta, testing.

Also if you are going to use the beta's as a free product, there is a moral obligation to report anything you find. Thats the whole point of a beta test.

Pete

6. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Kaspersky's beta versions are stable, I'v had a few crashs with specific beta versions, but have never suffered loss/corruption of data; but works great most of the time. If you become a beta tester there are a few things you have to remember:
    >should report any crashs/problems to the developers (as Peter2150 said)
    >should upgrade your beta everytime a new beta product is released (uninstall, restart, install, restart) which you'll probabily end up doing every week or 2
    >should not complain about the product/company being crap because the beta version screwed up your PC or is running slow or has lots of problems with it... just report it to the beta forum... its not necessarily going to be the most stable/smooth running program you have, but thats the whole point of playing with the beta... you should be prepered for it
    >Should know a little bit about computer problems and how to fix/identify them (so you can tell the developers what caused it and how to rectify it)... this is not totally necessary, but it does help

Regards, Dawgg

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You just have to remember that using a beta on a home pc is a risk.
    I have been doing beta testing testing for a few years on my home pc.
    Some are very stable,but you will eventually run across that version that is very unstable.That's the nature of beta programs.They are basically test programs.Be prepared to give feedback and report bugs.

I run betas that I am interested in possibly licensing after the beta is finished.

I wouldn't suggest running a beta to get a free program.
    If you're looking for a free a/v why not look at Avira (AntiVir) or Avast?

8. gevin

gevin Registered Member

i have been running one KAV beta at home for a while, i would said it as stable as what other final AV product up on sale. once a while, if i piss with some bugs, i will try other build. Uninstall and reinstall new. Found bug "complain" at Kaspersky forum. They are super very extremely friendly gang of people will help you.

and the true is, a lot of "final product" on sale are just some "post beta" build that try to meet the target launch date product. that why there always have patch/update.

9. WestEnd

WestEnd Registered Member

Tell me, is the free 30 day trial period of Kav Internet Security 6.0 a beta product?

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, of course not, two completely different versions, the beta is not restricted to 30 days, but you will have to accept the risk in running beta software and no support beyond the forum.:)

11. WestEnd

WestEnd Registered Member

But how will you know if a product you want to download is a beta product? I guess I don't get it.

12. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi WestEnd.

You can find the beta versions of KAV or KIS at Kaspersky's forum here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=16

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Because you can't download beta builds unless you access the beta forum and you need a beta key to use it, any build you download from kaspersky.com is released builds = not beta's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.