Ewido VS Spybot.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Seth_, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seth_

Seth_ Registered Member

Hello,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here goes:

On another web site, someone posted that they were disinfecting a computer and Ewido only found tracking cookies, but Spybot pulled out 20"bad guys". The user also claimed that Spybot "blows away" Ewido.

I will refrain from posting my opinion on this, but I would like other opinions on those comments please.

Thank you.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Lots of variables to consider with that statement.
    Versions of programs,types of infections,false positives etc..
    I don't doubt that each of these programs finds items that the other doesn't.

Ewido is now AVG Antispyware.

I would still choose AVG Antispyware over Spybot.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

well free vs free ewido has the better detection but spybot has real time protection+immunization and some good tools, so i call it a draw.

4. the Tester

Don't Forget that AVG Antispyware includes some good tools also.;)

5. Seth_

Seth_ Registered Member

Thank you all for the replies.:)

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Thats true i actually forgot ewido does have some tools.

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I use them both (not constantly running), only to do on-demand scans every few weeks, neither find any spyware, only dodgy registry entrys and tracking cookies, nothing major.
    They'r both free, just keeep both... just incase, rather be safe than sorry, and if you only use them for on-demand scans, they wont slow down your PC, only take up a small ammount of HD space

8. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

We've already talked on another forum Seth, but as I mentioned there, if you got a hold of some really difficult malware (as most of it is these days), Spybot would not fare well.

9. Seth_

Seth_ Registered Member

SirMalware,

I guess I need to come clean a bit here.

Although I tried to make my original post as generic as possible, I am a computer technician that has a great deal of experience with malware removal. I've also conducted countless comparisons with various scanners.

I've always found Ewido to be one of the best scanners for both general Adware as well as Trojans, Worms, Downloaders, etc. On the other hand, I've found Spybot to be mediocre with the former, and of course useless with the latter. So needless to say, I was shocked by this users comments.

Tonight I ran yet another head to head test with Ewido and Spybot. Spybot found 3 Adware components and no other significant entries. Ewido found 12 Adware components, along with 2 Trojans, 3 Downloaders, and 1 Hijacker.

I guess my intent here is to amass some opinions to insert into my rebuttal.

Thank you for your time.

10. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

Based on your own testing results, no further comment needed from me. ;)

11. the Tester

Seth,

Does the person that makes the claims listed in your first post have a log to prove those results?
    I'm betting that there isn't one.

12. Seth_

Seth_ Registered Member

Unfortunately not Tester, as he is a computer technician and claims it happened at a customers house. What I suspect happened, is explained in the following:

Yesterday I ran Spybot on a computer that I had in my shop (different from the system indicated in my previous post), and it detected about a dozen serious looking Adware components. Clicking open each entry, I found that these "infections" that Spybot reported were nothing more than harmless cookies. Now for someone who didn't investigate, they would proclaim how good Spybot is and how it removed all these Adware components that other scanners didn't find.

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No disrespect to anyone that would report their findings in such a manner but there's definetly a lot of drama in those words :blink:

A scan result containing tracking cookies is pretty explanatory by the simple click of a + sign or highlighting an entry that would give most folks a clue of what Spybot found. If by taking that small investigatory :ouch: step they still see "serious looking Adware components" I submit they would make a good mystery writer :eek:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.