F-Prot for DOS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

This program has been recommended a couple of times. I have a couple of questions. Do you download it like any other program? Also how do you access it to run it? I have Windows XP Home Edition.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi William,

First of all, you go through the usual website download steps to get the F-Prot for DOS kit from:

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_user/

This download is basically just a ZIP file that contains all the files necessary to run the DOS (CMD window) based scanner. The current version is 3.14b and the ZIP file is 1.85MB in size.

You don't actually run an installer to load F-Prot for DOS. You simply create a folder to hold all its files and unzip the kit into there. When a set of updated virus defs come out you download the ZIP file for those and extract them into the same folder, overwriting the ones that were there before.

The difference with this product and most others is that it is truly DOS (or CMD window) based. You run it from a CMD window prompt. See the image below.

Here is a sample of running F-Prot for DOS from the command prompt to scan the entire contents of a "downloads" folder.

Attached Files:

3. LowWaterMark

The other way to run F-Prot for DOS is via its old style GUI interface. The advantage here is that you can simply double-click on the main F-PROT.EXE file to get this window running. You wouldn't need to open a CMD window and work at the command prompt directly. Also, you can add a shortcut to f-prot.exe to your Start menu to quickly access the program this way.

Here are a couple quick screen shots from the DOS style GUI. You set the scan options (what to scan, what actions to take...) And you can configure various scan options (scan inside archives? scan compressed EXEs, etc.)

Attached Files:

4. Technical

Technical Registered Member

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I just copied LWM's instructions for using F-Prot for DOS. They are the most succinct & easiest to understand that I have run across.

Another tutorial on F-Prot for DOS can be found...
    HERE

moo goo gai pan......bellissimo :D

6. Technical

BitDefender is really more powerfull than F-Prot.
    The updates are more frequently too ;)

7. minacross

minacross Registered Member

8. Technical

Thanks for the links. I´ll try them later ;)

9. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

That’s not quite true. The only advantage of BD over F-Prot is unpacking engine. Other then that F-Prot is able to recognize and handle more viruses properly.

tECHNODROME

10. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

f-prot is updated almost daily... how much more frequent can you get??

11. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

12. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thank you all for the help. I really do appreciate it.

13. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

I have a q? about F-Prot, is the option enabled when say it says something like Do not scan archives or when it says scan inside archives. Thx

14. LowWaterMark

Hi BWMerlin,

Do you mean the option that I have circled in the image below??

If so, you read those options exactly as they are worded. When the text says "Do not scan archives" - when you run the scan, it will not scan in archives.

If you use the Options to "toggle" that particular option, the opposite wording is to "Scan inside archives". And if you start a scan with it worded like that, it will scan inside various archive formats. (Recursively in .ZIP and .ARJ files.)

Edit: To clarify this somewhat more, these options are neither enabled or disabled. They are toggled (changed from one specific setting to another) between the options available. You should read the options as exactly what the program will do. What it says is what it will do once it is run.

Attached Files:

15. nineeigthoneonesix

nineeigthoneonesix Registered Member

1st post :)
    You can creat shortcut in C:\Windows\SendTo pointing to
    f-prot.exe. Got a file or folder to quick scan? Right click and send it to F-Prot. Works on Win98SE, don't know about others.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.