NPF 2003

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by enigma, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Im currently running NPF 2003 on XP home. I would like to know if there is a free firewall that would work with NPF without conflict. Would like a free one because of price of NPF :) Tried ZA but problems came up. Maybe i should change rule set with either/both? (I like a layered defence.) Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks for your time!!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

What is a layered defense?

Hi enigma,

You should not install two software firewalls on a single system at the same time. Layered defense does not mean installing and/or running more than one of a single type of security software tool at one time. It means have complementary software products installed and running in order to keep you protected in case one is bypassed. (No, two software firewalls on the same system, running or not, is not "better protection".)

For instance, running a good resident anti-virus along side a resident anti-trojan is a good example of a layered defense. Running two active and resident anti-virus products is not a good thing as it could very well cause conflicts - visible conflicts and un-seen ones.

Running a good resident AV and having a backup AV, that is not "active and resident", but is simply used as an on-demand scanner, is also a good additional layer to your security.

The appropriate "layer" that you can safely add in terms of network traffic monitoring or blocking is an external (hardware) firewall, (or a router with firewalling characteristics), along with your software firewall.

Here's a post with a little more on the conflicts that may or may not be seen when running two of the same type of resident protection (reply #7):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12562;start=msg81217#msg81217

3. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hi again low watermark,
    As i stated in 'other AV', outstanding reply!! Man i love this site.
    What suggestions would you have for a good router. Im using dial-up at the present time. I know that a router for dial-up is not a must, but im trying to achive a layered defence :)
    Thanks for your advise/suggestions in advance.
    enigma

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've never used a router to handle dialup connections, so I have no idea about what to suggest here. Another program that has some powerful network monitoring and control features is Port Explorer. It can track, alert and log network activity. It is a pay product, but you can do a 30-day free evaluation just to see what it does.

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D not me i have newest black ice newest norton firewall and newest zap lol

used leak tool to see if there any leaks none lol if a hacker gets in he wlll be confused as there difent fire walls lol

ps my other two firewalls are disabled i just like haveing them to say i have them lol

6. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hi to Low watermark and Blaze,
    I checked out Port Explorer. Im going to have to think about that one for a while. A little complicated but i do get the drift. Give me a little time to work on it :)
    Mr.Blaze. You crack me up :D A little twisted...........but cool :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.