PCflank test and Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Drew99GT, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I tried the PC Flank leaktest with Comodo. It says it fails BUT my text string does not make it through. o_O

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yeah, that is a bug or poor coding in the pcflankleaktest program, it always says in the gui that the firewall has failed the test even if it hasnt. No need to worry. If your firewall would´ve failed you would see the text on the page you are directed to.

3. Drew99GT

Cool, thanks. One other thing, now whenever I do it again, the previous results show up everytime. How can I use it again and get the new results?

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would be interested to learn where you have got this info from.

If the firewall passes the test,.. see pic:

Attached Files:

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I seem to remember that info was on the Comodo forum. Was not that convinced when I read it.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

From experience I guess. I cant seem to upload of a pic to this forum right now for some reason. But I do get the window from Pcflankleaktest where it states that my firewall has failed the test and then there is a link to the page to see the text it has transmitted. At the same time I do get an alert from my firewall asking if I want to allow PCflankLeaktest.exe to use IEXPLORE.EXE through OLE Automation. I click deny and there is no text on the result page. If I click allow on the FW popup the text is there. I assume the test is only succesful (ie fw failed) only when I can see the transmitted text on the result page? Not when the Pcflanktest software says so?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I guess, that this bug in PCFlank test depends on allowed DNS request via IE.
    If DNS is allowed, the test can "ping" its server and it tells, that firewall failed.

I enabled Aplication Behaviour, started the test, I got popup and Comodo passed.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I did get similar results from another firewall (beta),.. please try,.. once the test is run,.. and you check the results,.. press the "Back" button and then the "next" button again (on the test) and then refresh the web site result page.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

PC flank Leaktest does not need a DNS lookup,.. the test website IP must be hard coded. (I have re-checked to look for any DNS lookups during the test,.. and there are none.)

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I can't get Comodo to pass this test and my text string DOES make it through. One of the Comodo board ops felt that it could be a conflict with On-line Armor which I also have running.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

With the low level system hooking made by both these programs, I can see that there is a possibility of conflict, and I would not advise that these 2 programs be run together.

12. gavel

gavel Registered Member

I am accord with that they are DUBIOUS, Comodo not pass PCFlankLeaktest!

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If this test was anywhere but PCFlank I'd take it seriously.

14. Drew99GT

I still can't get results for the latest test I do; it always shows the set of results when I clicked allow on the Comodo pop-up and the string went through. *edit* Just found the problem; if your firewall fails the test, or you allow it to fail like I did, it will save that result for your IP and show it everytime. Kinda lame; what if you take measures to fix the failure (if it actually did fail) and you want to test it again!

I just looked through some threads at the PC Flank forums and the same thing happens to other people where the test says it failed but the text string doesn't go through. It has happened with other firewalls as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  15. gavel

gavel Registered Member

Until now only firewalls that make it clear, are Tiny Pro and Outpost RC3.

16. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Stem...Question for ya. I like Comodo. I like Online Armor. I also use
    NOD32. Which program would you get rid of: Comodo or OA?

OA also has a version that is in beta right now that includes a Firewall.

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

One reason why the test may not pass is that comodo may mis-identify third-party processes as belonging to Online Armor - and allow the data out if OA is trusted.

You could verify this by blocking traffic for Online Armor, and then running the test again. If the test allows traffic depending on Online Armor's allow/block status then it's a fair bet that the process owner identification is broken.

18. TairikuOkami

I mean DNS request sent via IE, but I just blocked it, so that is not it.

I just tried it again, I got 3 popups: UDP Loopback, DNS Out, TCP Out.
    I had to open second IE window, because opened IE window was blocked.
    In default setup, Comodo Skip UDP loopback, allows Safe aplications like IE.
    I wonder, what primary browser use those, who get info, that they passed it?

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

IE uses UDP loopback,.. on my using IE for this test, IE does slow down if the UDP loopback is blocked.
    I dont have Comodo to check this test. I think the problem could be that control of IE via OLE is not being blocked, and that the text string is sent,.. thats why the test shows as leaked,... and that the text string (comms) is being (or attempted to be) intercepted at IE.

As mentioned by "gavel"... the only 2 I know that appear (to me) to completely sandbox this leaktest. (Tiny Pro and Outpost RC3)

20. TairikuOkami

Well, I just hope, that this bug, whetever it is in PCFlank or in Comodo, will be fixed soon.
    Common user would just notice Failed message and he would not know, that it is a mistake.

21. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Stem...I was hoping to hear back from you on a question I posed above. You have suggested that running Commodo and On-line Armor simultaneously might be a bad move due to the low level hooks of each application.

I use NOD 32. Presently I also use On-line Armor (which I love) and Commodo (which appears to be a best in class firewall). If I had to replace one of these applications (Commodo or OA) I don't know which one I would replace.

Any suggestions?

PS...The guy that developed OA provides world class customer service. I can't say enough good things about him or his product. And he will soon be releasing a version with a Firewall, though I am not certain if it will stop all the leak tests as Commodo does.

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Did you check, as "MikeNash" posted, to see if indeed the problem is at low level hooking,.... or that the process owner identification is broken within Comodo?.

23. ejr

ejr Registered Member

What I did was re-took the test with On-line Armor completely turned off. I still failed the test. So I believe the issue is possibly with Comodo. The problem is that I don't see othjer Comodo users having this same problem.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Did you block (or remove)the firewall rules that allowed internet access for OA/components?

25. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I did not. I will do so and report back. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.