Please recommand AV for Win2000 Server

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aluckystar, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

For some reasons, I have to use a computer with Win 2000 Server, but i was troubled with the viruses. I tried to Install KIS6 ,but it didn't support Win2000. As I know, KAV 4.5 can run on Win2000 Server, but it's too old and hard to get.

Can somebody recommand a security suite or AV+Firewall that can run on Windows 2000 Server , better with Real-Time Monitoring. I know many people use WinXP here. but as i know, Win2000 is also widely used. I am looking forward to your answers. Thank you !

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you insist on protection pack (AV+firewall) I think you should look at the Corporate solutions .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  3. jz0701

jz0701 Registered Member

I use drweb and commdo.
    I have not any servers (such as http,ftp).

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

You cannot run home solutions/products(like KIS, NAV etc.) on server OS. Server OS like Win 2000 Server Edition, Win 2003 etc. work very differently to the standard home OS. You require enterprise/corporate/business solutions for a server OS.

For example Symantec, McAfee etc. offer enterprise solutions. Kaspersky also offer enterprise solutions. If you are looking for both an AV and Firewall solution to your server from Kaspersky, then the only product I could find on Kaspersky's website is Check Point Firewall-1. This product combines Kaspersky's enterprise AV engine together with Check Point's (Zone Labs' parent company) enterprise firwewall engine together. You might want to have a look at that:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus_for_checkpoint_firewall-1
    http://www.checkpoint.com/products/firewall-1/index.html

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

AVG works fine on server operating systems. Look n stop and zone alarm also work well on a server system.

6. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

As much as I dislike Symantec, you might want to check them out. They were once the defacto server antivirus. Fortinet might also fit your needs.

SourMilk out

7. unhappy_viewer

If you want to use AVG on a server OS, you will again need to get their enterprise product: AVG Network Edition. You cannot use AVG Plus Firewall edition.
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/22/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/29/lng/us/tpl/tpl01?lic=l_net

Look n Stop and ZA are both not compatible with server OS. While on Look n Stop's website may state that Win 2000 is supported, they were not specific enough to say which Win 2000 editions are supported. Only Win 2000 Pro( which is not a server OS) is supported by Look n Stop. One way to tell if it works on Win 2000 server is to see if the product is also compatible with Win 2003. A product that is compatible with Win 2003 will be compatible with Win 2000 Server as they are build on the same architecture. Likewise ZA is only compatible with Win 2000 Pro.

8. farmerlee

I have used avg free, look n stop and ZA on both windows 2003 server os and windows 2000 server os. Its true the products state they do not support those os's but they still install and work fine from my experience. I used to use avg free and zonealarm pro 3.7 with windows 2000 server.

9. unhappy_viewer

There have been numerous reports of things not working well before on the ZA forum when people tried to install ZA on server OS such as Win 2000 Server and Win 2003. It does not mean that you have not experience anything bad so far means that nothing conflicting is happening on your system. Additionally the security provided by home products are insufficient for server OS architecture although you are inclined to think otherwise. I wholly recommend that you don't install softwares on incompatible OS otherwise that technically would void any official support from the manufacturers. Its like trying to force an incompatible memory chip into your computer and when you find something is wrong, you try to return the chip to the store for a refund.

10. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

11. farmerlee

Well i'm not an expert or anything but at the time i could find no other alternatives. I got a computer that came with 2000 server on it and used it as a gateway for my families internet. The avg/za pro combo seemed to work well as i never had any problems or security issues but of course that doesn't mean it cannot happen.

Currently on this computer i have server 2003 installed running look n stop, nod32 and trend antispyware and it runs very well.

12. farmerlee

I had a quick look and supposedly sygate firewall is compatible with 2000 server. From personal experience avg free works fine on 2000 server as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.