Norton Ghost 10 ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by surfbug, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfbug

surfbug Registered Member

I've Norton Ghost 10. I clicked on the copy entire hard driver. I selected the c driver and select the destination j: driver back up and next I saw the option. I show you
    Can anybody help me?
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders surfbug.
    Yes, we can help you.
    What would you like to do?
    Do you want to make an identical copy of your hard drive?
    Or do you want to make a backup of your hard drive?

While selecting Copy My Hard Drive will make an exact copy of the hard drive onto a second hard drive, it may not be the best way for you to make a backup. It depends on what your goal is.

It will help if you can post a screen shot of your hard drive partitions in Disk Management.
    Go to Start/right click My Computer/Manage/Double click storage/Double click Disk Management(Local).
    Make the window taller so you can see all the Disks in the lower right window pane.
    Take a screen shot and post it.

3. surfbug

I copy the entire hd and keep them in the external hd because every so often my regular hd would be toast. Is the differnt method to backup up my entire hd? I've windows pro.

Thanks for helping me,

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  4. Devinco

surfbug,
    Check your Private Messages.

5. Devinco

That is good that you are making a backup.
    Is the size of the Local Disk (C: ) the same as Backup (J: )?

You appear to have already made a backup successfully, yes?
    The Backup (J: ) hard drive has 14GB of data on it.
    That probably means your Local Disk (C: ) also has 14GB of data.

Yes there are two different ways to backup with your setup.
    Each way is good, they just have different advantages.

Method 1 Copy My Hard Drive (Advanced)
    This method is not usually used to backup a Hard Drive.
    It is normally used to make a clone or exact copy of the hard drive.
    The advantage of this method is that it is simple to understand.
    You simply copy the whole hard drive to another hard drive.
    If your Local Disk (C: ) drive is toast, then you buy a new one, install it and then Copy My Hard Drive (Advanced) back to the new drive.
    Or you could even open up the external drive, remove the hard drive from it, and install it in the computer if you needed to have the computer up again really fast.
    The disadvantage is that you can only make one backup for each backup hard drive.
    What if you wanted to make 7 backups, one for each day of the week? You would need 7 hard drives!
    To use this method, the settings you want from the screenshot you posted are attached to this post.

Method 2 Back Up Now
    I think this will be a better option because it is the usual way people make backups.
    Rather than making an exact copy of the whole drive, Ghost 10 will make a backup file called an "image" of the whole drive. This image file is stored on the backup drive. When your main hard drive is toast, you buy a new one, and then restore the image file to the new drive (Recovery).
    The advantage of this method is that you can store many more backup images on the backup drive.
    Even if you do not use any compression (file shrinking) on the image file, each image will be 14GB.
    That means you could store 5 backups on one 76GB drive. Add compression to the backup image and you could easily double the number of backup images.

Attached Files:

6. surfbug

What do I save 2 or 3 backup in the external hd instead of 1 entire hd. You said if my hard driver is tosted and you used the Recovery to files. Is the entire hd or part of hd? if my hd is tosted, I click on the copy entire hd. Do I switch the driver exsample select back j driver first and select the destition to C driver?

Thanks a lot,

7. surfbug

I clicked on backup now and it'll start now . it it correct?
    I show you

Attached Files:

8. Devinco

Having 2 or 3 backups in the external hd gives you more security.
    Let's say one day you accidently get a computer virus but you don't notice it right away. You make your regular backup and the virus gets included on the backup! Later when your main hd is toast, you buy a new one and use Recovery to restore the backup. The virus will be restored too. After a while you notice the virus, but with only one backup, you have no choice but to try and remove the virus (by either anti-virus or reformatting and reinstalling windows).

With multiple backups that you can rotate every so often on a monthly or weekly basis, you would be protected. You could use Recovery to restore a backup from a time BEFORE you picked up the virus. You can make as many backups as you have hard drive space on the backup drive. And when you run out of space, you can rotate the backups. Rotating the backups means that lets say you backup once every month and you name the backups Backup1, Backup2, Backup3, Backup4, Backup5, etc. Once you get to month 12, you start over and overwrite Backup1.

The backup is the entire HD. All your programs and data will be backed up.
    If you want to use Copy My Hard Drive (Advanced) for Recovery (Restore), yes you reverse the drives, you copy J: to C:.

9. Devinco

Yes that looks good.

10. surfbug

If my hard drive would be toast and I would have backup 12 time. Which file do I recovery ? Which method do I use for the recovery ??
    Thanks a lot again for helping me again.

Attached Files:

11. Devinco

The first option: Recover My Computer.

You would then select the most recent backup.
    If that backup turned out to be bad for whatever reason (virus or other corruption), then you select the backup done earlier.

12. surfbug

Attached Files:

13. Devinco

Yes. The destination for a Recovery is the C: drive.

14. surfbug

[QUOTEYes. The destination for a Recovery is the C: drive][/QUOTE]

Is it ok to use the advance recovery?

I would have 8 files in the j. driver. Do I delect everything and Do I start again?

15. Devinco

You should chose Recover My Computer.
    Show me the screen shot where it asks you if you want advance recovery.

Show me a screen shot that shows the 8 files in the J: drive if it does not show private info.
    What is the word "delect"? Is it delete or select?

16. surfbug

If I would have ghost folders for 12 times. Do I start ghost folder again for the beginning ? if so Do I delect prewiew ghost folders?

Thanks

17. surfbug

I show you

Attached Files:

18. Devinco

Okay, let me try to make things clear so there is no problem in translation.

Your backup hard drive is the external hd and it is called J:
    Your main hd is c:
    When ghost makes a backup of c: it stores the backup in a file called an "image".
    In your screen shot, this image file is shown as: C_Drive1.v2i
    Inside that image file is a complete backup of the C: drive at the time the backup was made.
    The backup image files are stored within the folder "Norton Ghost Backups".
    Whether you have one backup image or 12, all the image files will be stored in the "Norton Ghost Backups" folder in the J: drive.
    If you want to have 12 image backups, they should be named differently each time you backup.
    For example, you could name the backup image for this month C_Drive1_September.v2i.
    Next month's backup would be C_Drive1_October.v2i, then C_Drive1_November.v2i, and so on.
    Next September when you make a backup, you would again create the backup image with the file name: C_Drive1_September.v2i.
    Ghost will say that the image file already exists and ask you if you want to overwrite it. You answer yes, and Ghost will save the new backup over last year's backup of September.

So you don't need to separately delete old backups if you rotate them (reuse the same names).

19. surfbug

I'll try the recovery and Do I put the norton ghost CD before starting. How long do I wait as it tranfer everything back to my desktop but I've the firewire. Is it faster to tranfer everything back?

20. Devinco

If your main drive is toast, then yes, you put in the norton ghost CD before starting because you won't be able to boot from your main drive anyway.
    Your computer should boot from the CD and Ghost will run from the CD.

If your computer does not boot from the CD, then you will need to read your computer manual and find out how to enter BIOS (usually press delete at boot up). Then you read the manual and find out how to set the boot order so that the CD drive starts first then the hard drive.

If your main drive is not toast and you want to try recovery, you can start from within windows.
    If there are any problems with the recovery that you started within Windows, then you can try the recovery again from the norton ghost CD.

Norton Ghost will tell you when the recovery is complete.
    It has a progress bar to show how much of the recovery is done.
    You have 14GB of data. That shouldn't take very long to recover, maybe less than 30 minutes.
    Starting the recovery from within Windows will probably be faster than starting it from the CD.
    If your external HD is connected with firewire, yes, that is faster than USB.

21. surfbug

Do I install the north ghost cd before putting in the norton ghost CD before starting because you won't be able to boot from your main drive anyway. or do I run the ghost from the cd to get the hd from the external hd? Thanks a lot for helping again

If my hd would be toasted?

22. Devinco

You run ghost from the CD to get the backup image of the hd from the external hd?
    Ghost will then recover the backup and put it on the new main hd.

Yes, you usually only do a recovery when a hd goes bad.
    You buy a new good hd, then do a recovery.

The only time you would do a recovery when your hd is still good is when you want to prove that the backup is actually good.

23. surfbug

Thanks a lot for helping me with the norton ghost.
    Thanks Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.