First Defense and Repartitioning

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I don't understand. Which people have we come to trust? How does it eliminate anyone's ability?

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@silver0066

Nice! Lots of work.
    Which snapshot do you reboot in?
    Which is the/your "Primary" snapshot?
    Are you using he FDISR preboot as ersatz multiboot control?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

From what I've read as it stand now, any program that uses kernel mode hooking won't work.

4. silver0066

I can boot into any of the four snapshots, either from the Menu or the PreBoot screen.

I have two Primary snapshots and two Backup snapshots, one each for Vista and XP.

I now have installed several programs into Vista, some of which did not work and I just went back to the Vista backup snapshot. When the program works OK after test, I update the Vista backup snapshot.

After every couple of installs, I boot into my XP Primary snapshot and do an Acronis Image incremental backup. This gives me the ability to go back in time to anywhere back to the clean Vista install.

The only drawback, is that FD-ISR will not work with UAC turned on. I have, however, installed some protection programs that I used on XP to give me security until Raxco fixes the program.

5. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Agree with Longboard - Nice work.
    But a few questions:
    1. Do you now have effectively 2 installs of FD-ISR on same partition -i.e. one in XP and one in Vista or did you 're-install' FD-ISR in Vista after an 'uninstall' in XP Vista.
    2. What does the FD-ISR pre-boot look like? - Are 2 XPs and 2 Vistas visible? - i.e. as Longboard says - ersatz bootloader?
    3. Is Data anchoring working?

Slightly worried about that warning as well - it suggests to me something is wrong in the innards of FD-ISR.

6. silver0066

1. I have one install of FD-ISR. Since FD-ISR would not install in Vista itself, because of coding in the program, I created an empty snapshot, installed clean Windows XP Pro SP2, and then installed FD-ISR into XP. Then I did an upgrade install of Vista from Windows XP explorer. I then turned off UAC, and First Defense showed up in the taskbar.

2. The preboot has all four snapshots visible.

3. It has been working just fine even though there is an error message when I bring up the menu by right clicking the icon in the Vista taskbar. I just click OK, and everything works as normal....ie, except I have stopped anchoring my desktop. I think that does not work because of different user accounts in XP and Vista. I have not tried anchoring anything else as I keep all of my data files on the D drive. There is no error message when I use FD-ISR from either of the XP snapshots.

I put any desktop files on my D drive that I want to keep.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  7. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Well done and thanks for the pics of it all working.
    I think it's time for me to have a play with FD-ISR and Vista:D

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Well, heck, that's great ! I'm enthused now. I FINALLY got Vista RC1 downloaded. I got a preview notice some weeks back but just now got around to downloading it because I had finally resorted to using Getright.

So, this weekend will finally be my first weekend home from a 6 month business trip and SOMEWHERE on the list of things to do will be once again wetting my beak with Vista!

Thanks for the follow-up!:thumb:

9. silver0066

You will really like it. I was very skeptical at first, but it is very stable. A few little anomalies, but nothing serious. Very fast and fun to work with.

Have a good time!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.