image i just made says its curropt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lodore, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

I just made a image backup with the following settings high comprestion, normal pority. and when I check it it says corropt build 3677. the last backup i did said it was fine. but i had to get rid of my old backup to make this one. I really should of got a bigger drive. then i tryed again same thing. but the third time which im doing right now is ok so far. so i dont know.

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Sounds like everything is trying to work but something is marginal.

Run chkdsk X: /r on all your partitions, substitute the drive letter of the partition under test for X. It will require a reboot to check C.

Look in the XP Event Logger logs for anything pointing to a problem when you are doing the backup/validate.

If you are overclocking or using aggressive memory timings revert them to normal.

Check your RAM even though you probably think it is OK. TI puts a good load on memory and disk systems. You can get a free memory diagnostic, Memtest86+, at www.memtest.org .
    Let it run for several passes preferably overnight. An additional test for memory is to run with only 1 stick at a time if you have more than one and the machine will run on one. This, assuming both sticks aren't bad, will test the memory under the actual operating conditions.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm f-secure didnt really like it when i started it.

and i havfe never had any problems with my corsair value ram before.

i think f-secure my antivirus was trying to scan the files at the time because it was accessing the files.
    but when i did the backupo that works i used normal comprestion but this time i used high compresstion so that could out more strain on it but i dono.

i hope a acronis mod can help me.

also one thing i forgot to say was i have a legal version of windows xp home but they never gave me a disc. so thats another reason why i make images. and thats why its urgent. if the image dont work i i ever need to restore it im stuffed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

An image validation is not done by comparing the data in the image to the contents of the HD. It is impossible to do this in a Windows environment since the disk is changing all the time. The validation is done by reading the archive and computing a checksum. This checksum is compared to the checksum contained in the archive file and if they don't agree the archive is declared corrupt. It only takes one bad bit in a multi-gigabyte image to declare it corrupt. Also, image files are large and you may well be using RAM addresses that are rarely used in your normal operation. If you have a bad bit in say a jpg file you likely wouldn't even notice it, in a validation it would be disaster.

I had expensive Corsair RAM fail, RAM is electronic stuff and it can break.

Using high-compression gives the CPU more work to do. You might find that the high-compression really doesn't compress much more than normal. However, either should work.

Most people who make archives in Windows have their AV, FW, email, etc running. My AVG runs all the time.

If you want to eliminate any effects of Windows running boot up the rescue CD and use it to both create and validate the image. However, I think you would be wise to pursue the cause of this fault because there shouldn't be a problem. Best to sort it out now rather than when you really need to do a recovery and it doesn't work.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I do see your point and atm my antivirus f-secure is really annoying me slowwing down my pc and could be interfering, i have sent them some emails but they replys havent helped much

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello lodore,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify where did you store the image archive (local or external hard drive, CD/DVD discs or other storage media)? If you store the image to the USB external hard drive you could try to connect it to another USB post or/and try to use another USB/Fireware cable.

Please also try to perform the memory test suggested by seekforever.

Please also do the following:

- Create a new image archive when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and then validate this image when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

- Create a new image archive when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and then validate this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.