please help, complete restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Drayken, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drayken

Drayken Registered Member

I am using Acronis 8, build 937. I need some help. I have a new Gateway computer. It has one HD, but 2 partitions. C:, which has everything on it, and another partition for disaster recovery. Well, I created an image of the entire HD, including both partitions, onto an external HD. I have all my programs loaded and settings set, so I want to have a backup, incase my HD ever crashes, which has happened on my other computers. Anyways, I installed a brand new internal HD, to test out my image. (I disconnected the current, working HD) I loaded from a boot disk that I made from Acronis. It installed everything, and looked like it would work. It rebooted, but instead of loading up windows, it went strait into Gateway's recovery program. This forces me to reinstall windows and settings, which is obviously exactly what I do NOT want to have to do.

Any suggestions? First of all, did I do it correctly to copy my programs and boot drive? Second, if so, should I maybe try again, and NOT copy the second partition with the recovery stuff?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Besides the 2 partitions, did you restore the MBR?

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The steps you have followed are exactly what I would have done especially making the test restore to a replacement hard drive. That is the failsafe way and as it has turned out very necessary.
    When you selected the two partitions for imaging on the selection screen was the top box- Disk 1 ticked? This has to be selected when imaging with the aim to restore to a replacement disk otherwise the boot records will not included.
    When you ran the restore to the replacement drive again the whole disk box needs to be selected. I presume that the replacement drive was jumpered and connected exactly the same way as the old drive, this includes using the master connection on the IDE cable if applicable.
    So after the restore you should have got an exact replica of the original drive and neither Gateway or Windows should have known any difference.
    I would be surprised if the computer became bootable if you left out the recovery partition as the number of partitions in the restore would not be the same as the boot records. So I would suggest you retrace your steps and try again because it really should work!

4. Drayken

Yes, I clicked the entire HD, which then checked both partitions on its own. Same when I restored. I used the exact cables, and jumped as master. Man, it takes FOREVER for it to reinstall, lol, I hate to think I gotta do it one or two more times before it "may" work.

When I click the entire master HD, it is automatically including the boot drive, right?

5. Drayken

How do I restore the MBR? If refering to clicking the entire HD, then yes.

6. TheWeaz

It's a selectable item. If you tick Disk 1, it should be selected for you.

Attached Files:

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Weaz. OP said they're using ATI 8 Build 937. It ain't there. Nonetheless, I agree that ticking "Disk 1" for restore should restore both partition PLUS the MBR, even in ATI 8.

8. TheWeaz

OOPS, sorry. I missed that. I guess I just assume people are at least semi up-to-date :)

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The fact that it takes a loooong time to restore is the "new hardware old drivers" syndrome. Your version of TI does not have a good match of drivers for your external drive/on board controller combination.
    The best solution would be to create a BART PE CD with TI Plugin. It can take a while to make one the first time you do it but it should transform the way the restore process runs. The reason it speeds things up is that it uses up to date drivers from Windows.

In any case creating a BART CD is more productive than watching paint dry or twiddling your thumbs while waiting for Acronis support to come up with their answer [​IMG].

10. Drayken

Sorry, I got 8, and don't see myself paying for the upgrade if I can't get this one to work. I know ATI has alot to offer, but I simply want to be able to restore my computer, if my HD crashes. I doubt I will ever use any of its other features.

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

It sounds like you did everything correctly for ATI 8. As far as I can tell, unless the replacement hard drive was exactly the same as the one you replaced, then it's likely just what Xpilot said.

If so, I agree the BartPE CD is worth a shot.

Assuming you are running Windows XP (you didn't say what your OS is), another possibility would be to use Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD, if you have one, to run FIXMBR. Then perhaps Windows will boot and redetect you drive as new hardware, install the correct driver, have you reboot and then you're on your way.

12. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

Hi TheWeaz,
    I have a related question for you. As you have shown in the figure, there is a selection for "MBr and Track O". I assume that any backup tib files include "MBr" also. My question is under what circumstance I need to restore only "MBR and Track 0". Thanks. Cobras

13. TheWeaz

AFAIK – The MBR is backed up with a system disk or partition image. It will not be backed up with a Files/Folder image or a non-system disk/partition.
    You would need to only restore the MBR if only the MBR got corrupted (your disks/data is still OK). Something like fooling around with the Secure Zone/Startup Recovery Manager.

14. sarutaro

Hi TheWeaz,

>the MBR if only the MBR got corrupted (your disks/data is still OK)

The above line is not that clear to me. If MBR is corrupted, we cannot open harddisk. The HD became unformatted/unallocated space. It happened to me twice in the past. My question is how to tell whether data is corrupted or not when MBR was currupted. Please enlighten me. Thank you. Sarutaro

15. TheWeaz

AFAIK – Your HD just doesn’t become “unformatted/unallocated space”. Even if your MBR is totally destroyed, the data is unchanged. Only your ability to access it is.
    Restore the MBR and you should be back in business.

16. sarutaro

Hi TheWeaz,
    I have another question for you. In your post, I see an image of "Partition or Disk to Restore". It looks like a screen capture. I wonder how you could screen capture the screen when your computer was booted with boot disk. Screen is not under Windows environment. I would like to learn how you did. Thanks. Sarutaro

17. TheWeaz

It was done from within Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.