$ISR file not found

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by wxman, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I just realized that I've been using FDISR all wrong, all this time. Now I think I know what I'm doing finally! I currently have two copies of my primary snapshot that I have tested booting into, adding files, then switching back to the primary.

My only problem is in the boot up selection (if you hit f1 on boot) it shows in red "$ISR file not found". Everything seem to be ok, but it's still there even after checking all the snapshots.

If it's any help, I'm also running Diskeeper 10, and I just set it to exclude C:\$ISR\0\$ISRBIN. I can't find anything on the Diskeeper support site about problems with FDISR, so I hope it wasn't that that caused a problem.

Has anyone seen this before, and how do I get rid of that error?

Thanks - and by the way, hi all.

2. Dina

Dina Registered Member

ive seen this too several times already. i had 3 snapshots. i delete one snapshot. when i boot to another snapshot, i get that same error. so i look around at the $isr folder, i see three folders 1 2 and 3. each folder is supposed to contain the snapshots. since i now have 2 snapshots left, i should have 1 and 2 only, or 2 and 3, etc, depending on which snapshot you deleted.

i think this error shows up. when you delete a snapshot, and its folder remains in the $isr folder. i get this error but booting from one snapshot to another, copying updating, etc. are working fine.

i think you should uninstall fd (remove program only) and then after reboot, delete the folder 1, 2 or 3, look which one is empty.

or you can export your snapshots. then uninstall fd (remove all) and then reinstall fd, then import snapshots.

ive seen this several times already. i dont know what triggers it.

3. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I did just delete all my old messed up snapshots, then made new ones. I think it was after I did the delete that it started to show up. I don't have my did with me so I can't try your suggestion, but I will as soon as I can.

I can't wait to get back home and rescue my other computer. My Daughter, Husband, and their 2 year old, are staying with us for a few months, and they love to download games, toolbars, IM software, etc. I really would have liked to get a good snapshot saved before they started filling up my computer with junk.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to post the results when I'm done.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If Diskkeeper moves the file it might trigger that. Try a reboot. That should enable FDISR to find the file.

Pete

5. wxman

wxman Registered Member

Sorry, I tried that and it's stilll there.

6. Dina

Dina Registered Member

this happened to me when i had no defrag software installed.

7. Peter2150

This sounds like a candidate for Tech Support. Where did you get FDISR.

8. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I first got the registered download from Raxco. Then they sent me a copy of the CD as a nice gesture because I had quite a few problems getting the download link to work.
    I just realized I still have the original downloaded file on this computer. I actually forgot I had it.

I checked the $isr directory, and it does have 0, 1, 2, 3 folders listed in it. I have only 3 snapshots, counting the primary. I tried to check the folder sizes, but it keeps telling me "access denied", and I'm a admin for this computer. I guess that means I have to check them at a command prompt?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  9. Peter2150

You can't access those folders even as an admin, as they are protected by FDISR. With 3 snapshot you should have only 3 folders.

You might consider an uninstall and reinstall. If you don't need the data in the other snapshots, I'd delete the snapshots, first, and then do the uninstall. That might help clear up your problem.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I agree with Peter's solution.
    Excluding the folder "C:\$ISR/0/$ISRBIN" in Diskeeper is correct, keep it that way.
    Never run Diskeeper during FDISR-activities, it can cause errors.
    Another advice : make sure that you have an image backup solution to backup and restore your harddisk.

11. wxman

wxman Registered Member

Ok, I took the advice, removed the program, and the problem went away. I guess the next experiment would be to make a new snapshot, then remove it, and see if the error comes back.

On a completely different question. How come I can't use the schedule function? Every time I try to set one up I get a "Access denied" error. I've tried every setting I can imagine, but it always stops me.

12. Peter2150

Hi Wxman

I can't help you on the schedule. I always do it manually, so I can shut down my AV. Also I like to watch to be sure there were no problems.

Pete

13. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I usually do too, but I have two desktops as well my notebook to do, and I sometimes loose track of what needs to be done.

14. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Hi, wxman.
    Do you successfully use Windows' Task Scheduler to do other tasks ?

15. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I do, but they usually have a workaround for the lack of password. I can get FDISR schedule to work if I set up a Windows password for myself, but as long as the password is off, the schedule won't work.

It's really not a big deal anyway. I can just stop being lazy and do it manually.

16. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Yep. That's precisely the problem then. Not having a password is not a very good security practice but you may have reasons you feel are good enough and I try not to be judgmental and start lecturing.

17. wxman

wxman Registered Member

I agree with the security of having a password. But these computers are used only at my home office, and only my family have access to them.

I think I'll try setting a password for my account only on the busiest of the desktops, ironically it's the one I use the least. That way I can set the schedule to at least run on that one. It's the one I worry about getting messed up the most because my kids can use it for games, downloads, etc.

18. Peter2150

Now this is a problem to which I can relate.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.