No hard drives detected

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shootist, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootist

Shootist Registered Member

I built a new Core2 system with a Asus P5B Deluxe MB, Intel P965 Chipset, 2 Seagate 7200.10 250GB drives and the BIOS sees the drives but when I boot from either the TI 9, build 3677, or Disk Director 10, 2117, it does NOT see any hard drives. I have configured the drive as IDE and SATA AHCI, with and without the 3GB/1.5GB jumper in place and no matter what I do or what I set them as both rescue/Boot CD's can not see any hard drives.
    When is Acronis going to fix this.
    Just what do you do if a drive fails and you can't boot the PC from the rescue CD to load a image on a new drive. Just what is TI 9 go for with newer hardware.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The when part of your question can only be answered by Acronis themselves.
    Why it has happened is because the latest build of TI does not yet have drivers for your new equipment on its rescue CD.
    The work around to tide you over would be to build a Bart PE CD with TI plugin. The Windows or other drivers that you may need to add would enable full functionality for restores to be made.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shootist,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup and Acronis Partition and Disk Managing software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

To expand Xpilot's reply a little, I'd also recommend that you try booting with the "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post (for both the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 Bootable Rescue CDs).

If booting with the "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not help then please boot the computer from the Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home once more and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the collected sysinfo.txt file in your request along with the link to this thread (exact vendors and models of your hard drives and hard drive controller). We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

P.S. Please also note that, as Xpilot has already mentioned above, a possible workaround is to use the BartPE-based bootable CD allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE comes with the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and can usually be found in the
    \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE folder.

There is no official Acronis Disk Director plig-in for BartPE yet. However, you can try using Mustang's one.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Shootist

Thanks for the replies. I have solved the problem by creating a BartPE boot disk with the TI 9 & DD 10 plugins on it. Also I have heard from Acronis, thank you, and have downloaded a ISO image of TI 9 that does contain the proper drivers for the newer SATA/Chipsets.

5. grit621

grit621 Registered Member

Re: No hard drives detected - ICH8R problem resolved?

I am having this exact same problem. Please, can someone post a link to this ISO? I'm dead in the water until I can get this to work. I've tried BartPE, and it's giving me 100+ errors when I try to create the image. I'd REALLY appreciate the link to that ISO.

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Re: No hard drives detected - ICH8R problem resolved?

And me too. Please.

F.

7. SiriuS Support

SiriuS Support Registered Member

EXACT same problem here. I'm thinking that since I'm running XP x64 and needed to download special ICH8R x64 drivers for the SATA RAID controller that even this ISO won't have what I really need. I'm thinking I'm going to have to rely on BartPE, which really reduces the backup functionality of ATI and makes restoration more complicated having to do it from third party PE rather than ATI's bootable CD which I was so impressed with being SO much faster than Ghost.

Anyone successful running ANY Acronis stuff on x64 with SATA RAID? If not I'm going to reload everything with good ol' XP x86.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that when Acronis True Image is running under Windows, it should work with all the hard disk drivers detected by the operating system. If you receive the message that Acronis True Image cannot find any hard drives under Windows please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists. Please have a look at this post for details.

If the issue persists, please enable logging by SnapAPI program, reproduce the program failure and send us the "snapapi.log" file which is located at C:\. You can also use Windows Search tool (available in Start menu) to find this file.

Please also note that for some operations like restore the system partiotion Acronis True Image needs to reboot the system to its standalone mode which is Linux based. If you experience a problem with your hard drive/RAID controller when accessing from standalone mode, please provide us with the exact vendor and model of the hard drive/RAID controller you use and we will help you solve the problem. Also please create Acronis Report, Windows System Information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please note that the ISO image of the Acronis True Image Bootable CD that Shootist mentioned was created for the particular hardware configuration which may differ from your system. Therefore, we need the information mentioned above to investigate the isuue and try to provide you with a possible workaround.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  9. tashi

tashi Spyware Expert

That fixed the problem I had after re-installing Windows.

Thank you!

10. strongob

strongob Registered Member

This is ridiculous. I have TI server (latest build) with universal restore recently purchased. I have two hitachi SATA drives but the bootable rescue TI says no harddisks are found. I can boot easily with Bart PE but then I do not have the universal restore (useless) or I can use the universal restore but cannot see my disks (useless). I tried acpi=off noapic but still no recognition. Someone recommended clicking back but that is unavailable (greyed out). How can TI server with universal restore not recognize a serial drive (this is not a new raid card) and, given acronis's dependence on Bart PE to compensate for their lack of drivers/compatibility, how can ther not be TI/universal restore plug-in?:mad:

11. Shootist

Simple fact is Acronis has totally dropped the ball. I for one will not be upgrading any of my acronis product to the newer version if they don't fix the current version to work on CURRENT hardware.
    SEE THE WORDS "CURRENT HARDWARE" ACRONIS.

12. strongob

I appreciate all the work that Mustang and others have put into making this program usable but I am still unable to restore from one server to another. Fortunately, I have been well-advised to test my back-up solution before it is urgent. I have tried emergency cd w/universal restore (does not see harddisks so a non-starter), Bart PE (boots well and runs TI but no universal restore), Mustang's plug-in w/Bart PE (boots and runs TI but no universal restore option either). My last hopes are to run the 'SnapAPI_l_s_e.exe' and create another emergency boot CD w/acronis program or maybe there is something I did wrong in creating the Bart PE CD w/Mustang's plug-in.

13. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

HI,

With Mustang's plugin i have under BartPE Universal Restore available when i restore.
    Is it fully installed before you launch the .BAT file that gets all files from your disk?

14. strongob

The universal restore was installed before running the file to obtain the acronis files but it runs without universal restore. I was lucky today and was able to create a rescue cd after running 'SnapAPI_l_s_e.exe' referenced above and it runs TI server w/universal restore and recognizes the harddisks:) . Now I have a restored partition except on booting it hangs at the blue windows screen:( but that is a problem for another thread. Oh, well. Bit by bit I might get a workable product out of this software:doubt: .

15. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

When you use the BartPE plugin, you see no info on UR, until you restore an image you have a choice "use Universal Restore"

Just in case, because it isnt evident to see unless you go through the restore process!

Ciao,

Jaycee

16. psonoda

psonoda Registered Member

I am having the same problem with the latest version of 9.1. Asus P5B Deluxe MB with 74G Raptor WD SATA drive. The rescue disk will not detect the local drive. I put in a support request yesterday. I have not received a response as of yet.

Does anyone have any idea when Acronis will fix this problem and release an update?

Thanks
    Paul

17. strongob

I spoke too soon regarding recognizing the sata drives. It turns out that it was recognizing another partition on my usb drive and restoring to it - no surprise it did not boot. Tech support has been friendly but useless. I follow the instructions for creating a sysinfo file to the 'T' using floppy and usb but get failure every time. I have gotten a little farther with the bart pe and mustang's plug-in (server w/universal restore) but now receive the 'serial number is incorrect, please reinstall' error. When you buy the software they do not tell you that you need to learn linux and that it really cannot perform universal restore (save a few IT professionals):mad: . Has anybody had any luck getting their money back?

18. psonoda

Tech support requested logs from the rescue CD boot and a report floppy boot disk. I supplied them this morning and I am waiting to hear back.

19. strongob

Eureka! I have finally been able to run TI server with universal restore. On my machine mustang's plugin obtained the files and placed in the inf file the serial number for TI but not universal restore. Based on the advice in his help html for windows 2K, I opened the inf file and aded the serial for universal restore. BTW I had to load TI server on another computer using XP to create the PE since the plugin did work with Bart PE (initially, although I now believe I could have just entered both serials manually) and reatogo did not run on server 2003. Support is still working on creating a boot disc with actual drivers but at least I have a workable backup now:D .

20. psonoda

I just got a test rescue image from Acronis this morning. And yes it seem to work great on my Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi with WDC 74G Raptor drives. I did a backup and a restore with the test ISO. I did have a problem browsing the network drive that my backup image was on. It would not list the folder or files on the shared drives. This problem only occurs on the new rescue image and does not happen on the released version.

Thanks
    Paul

21. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello all,

Shootist: Sorry, but what is current hardware for you? It is a tricky definition in computer world. What is current today tomorrow can be outdated. Also ATI BootCD is Linux based and not all drivers are available for Linux, some vendors does not provide Linux drivers as open source. How Acronis can include drivers which they cannot geto_O Moreover, they provide us with the ability to add drivers for our own particular hardware to boot CD - I mean BartPE plug-in. It is much more flexible and faster then Linux boot CD. Also if Acronis includes drivers for ALL the current hardware to boot CD I suppose the size of the installation package will grow up a lot. Do you what to download update (build) of the same size as Windows installation package or so? I don't.

strongob: Do not know what to say here, only to get sysinfo.txt and go to Acronis Support via e-mail. Also would like to mention that SnapAPI_l_s_e.exe (Acronis Drivers) is drivers for Windows only. They take NO affect to Bootable CD.

_Kento_

22. Shootist

Well this issue has been resolved for me for quite some time now and it was not do to anythinig Arconis did or supplied. The reason for buying a program like TI is to back up your system in case you have a hard drive crash and or failure. In that event the only way to recover your system it to either wipe the original drive or replace it with a new one and then load a image, right. Well Acronis TI is totally useless for this with newer hardware, but let me add that this newer hardware has been out for months ( like since April), and Acronis has done nothing to make TI9 work with this newer hardware, except to come out with a newer version and even that DID NOT support the Intel P965 chipset at it's release. Very Disapointed to say the least. I was OK in building a BartPE boot disk with the TI plugins by Mustang but Acronis should supply the correct plugin and given you detailed instruction on how to build such a boot disk.
    I for one will not be buying any new version of TI for quite some time as I feel they do not care about there user base. God help those that are not computer literate and expect the TI boot/rescue CD to work with there new computer.

23. valnar

valnar Registered Member

As it has been mentioned many times in other Linux forums, full support for the Intel 965 chipsets and the ICH8 southbridge (ie. SATA drives on Core2Duo systems) is only available in the linux 2.6.18 and greater kernels. The simple question to ask Acronis is - What kernel are you using? If it's not 2.6.18 or the bleeding edge 2.6.19, then they need to get with the program. From this point on, most new Intel systems purchased will be C2D. Since TI 10 is brand new, I doubt people are willing to wait unti version 11 to get support for their new system.

Acronis? You need to update TI v10 right away to the new kernel. Get your developers working. Telling technical people on this forum to use a BartPE disk may fly for some, but not everyone who uses your product is technical, nor do they visit this forum.

Robert

24. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Robert,
    You are so right it hurts [​IMG]

Xpilot

25. Wiedermann

Wiedermann Registered Member

Have read and watched the thread for several days now. I have a computer with SATA drives and as previously posted, the recovery Acronis boot discs do not detect a hard drive when you run the recovery.

Creating an Image and storing it in a separate USB Drive is not a problem.

Problem lies when I have tested, and as previoulsy posted with presice details, once I bring Acronis from the boot discs, it simply doesn't find the computers SATA drive (as posted, it only detects the USB drive where the image is stored and attempts to restore the image back onto the same USB drive which does not work to restore and recover the Windows Image)

For what I have seen so far, the problem is not the harware directly, though the problem lies with Acronis not beeing able to recognioze the SATA hard drive on the machine, thus making is a Acronis software related problem.

I have used succesfully the same version of Acronis on another machine I have which use normal PATA Hard drives, and on the other machines (all my machines are laptops) which have removable hard drives, I used the "Disk Clone" from Acronis and have created on PATA drives without problem replicas of the image which have tested and worked succesfully without problem

On the machine with the problem in question, the Machine has a Fixed SATA drive, so Disk clone unfortunately is not an option.

I have Acronis 8.0 (Build 937). Have downloaded the "updates" and installed pretty much everything that I have read on information from the help files, from this forum, however, the result is the same: SATA Drives are not detected during restore.

I've contacted Acronis Support through their website and alerted by their message that if you submit a duplicate ticket, you risk to move your problem to the bottom of th queue, well?... I have waited and waited and going for over than 2 weeks on waiting, I see no action taken from Acronis support.

Does anyone have Acronis Help Desk Support Telephone number to call?

Thanks

Wiedermann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.