Faronics Anti-Executable.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Faronics Anti-Executable is the most hidden software, I've ever seen until now.
    It's not listed in "Add/Remove Programs" or "All programs menu". No desktop icon.
    Only an unaccessible folder "FaronicsAE" mentioned under the folder "Program Files" and an icon in the system tray are visible after installing this software. The usual double clicking or right clicking doesn't even work on this icon.

Even the icon in the system tray can be hidden with the right setting.
    To get the icon back you have to hit 4 keys simultaneously : CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + F10 to change the approperiate setting.
    No, you don't need your nose to hit the 4th key. :D
    Uninstalling AE is also very unusual, because it isn't mentioned in "Add/Remove Programs"
    Without reading the welcome email or manual you can't do anything with Anti-Executable. LOL.
    Quite an amusing software.

Any good or bad experiences with Anti-Executable or practical advices ?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've trialed it and found that it worked precisely as advertised. Absolutely no untoward after effects that I could see. I'd call it a good experience

The program is really designed to be used on a fairly static machine from an application install perspective. This is what really stood out in my experience. If this is not the style of machine you use, it could get somewhat old. That's why I didn't go beyond the trial at the time. I've thought of retrying it of late since I do have a couple of machines which are basically static on the Windows side.

If the programs you use are reasonably established, it does appear to be an effective and easily used program. Of the many options out there to control application execution, it is quite solid.

Blue

3. ErikAlbert

BlueZannetti,
    Thanks for your reply and I agree with your remarks regarding "static machine", they match with my own thoughts after reading the info published by Faronics.
    I have a 60-day trial period of "Anti-Executable Standard", which is enough to test it in combination with a frozen FDISR-snapshot.

The frozen snapshot is supposed to remove possible threats completely with a simple reboot and Anti-Executable is supposed to stop the not-white-listed executables from doing their evil job between two reboots, while white-listed executables are still working normal. At least that is my theory. :D

If members don't agree with my theory, please break it down until nothing is left. You can't hurt my feelings. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how well Anti-Executable handles updates and what it does with signed files - are they auto allowed?
    I'm using Abtrusion Protector and have found problems with some software in updating and 'install mode.' I've been bothered and nagged by the program and may move.
    Thanks.

5. ErikAlbert

I'm not an experienced AE-user yet, but according my readings you have to disable AE first, when you install a new software and then enable AE again.
    AE will add the executables of the new software to the white-list.
    AE recognizes more than 80 different executables automatically.
    The whitelist is created automatically during the installation, based on your actual installed softwares.

It's very important that your computer is CLEAN when you install AE, otherwise it's possible that evil executables are also white listed.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Okay thanks for the reply Erik, I'm looking for more info on the site now, cannot see answers to all my questions so perhaps I'll try it out.

7. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I installed it on a friends computer and he is very happy with it.

At first he found that he could not run the windows disk defragmenter and had problems updating AVG free.

A look at the AE log highlighted the problem files/folders and these were put on the exclusion list. No problems since.

The only other observation is that the time from clicking the login name to the point at which you can start doing things is increased. I am talking seconds not minutes but it is noticeable.

8. ErikAlbert

I don't know about the Windows Disk Defragmenter, I run PerfectDisk in another snapshot that doesn't need Anti-Executable, because it has no internet connection.
    The AVG Free and scanners in general are a known issue, but as you said, it can be solved easily by exclusion.
    Thanks for the info.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Erik,

Just thought that I'd mention that Faronics does have a 50% off discount coupon code for Anti-Executable in their newsletter here, which is good until Sept. 15. If you look at their newsletters, this special has appeared previously and, I assume, may be offered at various times in the future in the event you do not wish to purchase at this time.

Blue

10. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the tip !!! It's a pity that the expiration date is so soon.
    Anti-Executable seems to have no compatible problems with FDISR, but I still have to find a way to make the combination "Anti-Executable + frozen FDISR-snapshot" more flexible and liveable. 4-5 days freetime is a bit too short.
    Maybe I will buy it on the last day, 50% is very seductive :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.