Restore System Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cdikland, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdikland

cdikland Registered Member

Since at least Version 9 build 3633 I noticed that a image backup of my C: drive now contains two partitions.
    1. The original C drive files/folders
    2. MBR and track 0
    Prior the above mentioned build the only partions shown within a image backup was the partition containing the original C drive files/folders. To restore, select the partition, tell TI what drive to restore to and voila that was all that was to it. Piece of cake.

Now however I am stumped on how to restore a system drive. If I select only the files/folder partition, the existing content on the system drive is wiped out and the files within the archive are restored however... The drive wont boot:oops:

So what it the correct procedure to restore these 2 partitions?
    First the files then the MBR or vice versa? Are both partitions restored during the same session or each is restored seperatly?

2. dld

dld Registered Member

3. cdikland

Ah... had my restore window looked like the image you include in your post I think I may have tried your suggestion by checking the Disk 1 box however.... My archive restore window does not have this option:mad:

trueimage.gif

4. dld

dld Registered Member

Are you using ATI 9.0.3677? If not I would update your present version.

5. cdikland

Yes I am using ATI 9.0.3677

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you go to Acronis Help About what build number is shown there as being installed? The screen you have posted does not look like the 3677 screen to me.

Did you in fact use Windows Add Remove Progams to uninstall you previous build before installing 3677?

7. cdikland

A picture is worth a 1000s words

Image2.gif

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Did you check disk 1 box when you made the image?

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Not 1000 words, just one would be enough. Did you actually uninstall your previous build before installing 3677?

In any case I would suggest an uninstall now followed be a reinstall of 3677 because there is something odd going on here unless.....

You refer to a files and folders backup in C drive is that what you originally selected? This could explain the difference in the restore screens between yours and ours. I cannot be certain of this as I always
    back up a whole drive and disk and have never considered using files and folders as an option.

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

cdikland,

The screen that you are seeing is the same one I see when I want to restore from an image that is not a whole disk image (Disk 1 checked on creating the image) but rather an image of the C: partition only (Disk 1 unchecked, C: checked on creating the image).

To restore the image of C: to an otherwise working drive (say after an infection or to get rid of an unwanted program) there is normally no need to include the MBR in the restore. However, if the computer does not boot after the restore of C: only, try again including MBR. To do that, tell the wizard (towards the end of the steps) that you want to include another partition and you will be taken back where you will be able to add MBR and Track 0 to the previous slection (C: ).

But there could be another problem. If the number of partitions on the system drive when you created the image was different from the number of partitions you have now that you want to restore C:, the Windows installation you are restoring from the image is expecting a different partitioning layout of the one it is meeting after restore. If this is the case and you want to restore that image of C:, you should first assure that the number of partitions on the destination drive is the same as it was when you created the image of C:.

11. cdikland

bvolk,

Thank you for your detailed answer. :thumb: In previous attempts, I failed to restore the mbr AFTER I restored the C: partition. I had assumed that in doing so the C: partition would be wiped clean. I will try what your instructions tomorrow.

Again, thanks

BTW: The number of partitions on the system drive (so far) is always the same.

12. cdikland

No I did not...:oops: Just the C: box

13. cdikland

I did a clean install of 3677..

My mistake... :oops: The backup was an entire partition..

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Looking at your screenshot, I would say that you have more than one partition on the hard drive but only created an image of C:. Hence the reason the Restore Data Wizard doesn't show a checkbox next to Disk 1.

Assuming your disk's partition layout hasn't changed or the MBR hasn't become corrupted since you created the single partition image then you should have been able to restore just the C: partition without affecting the disk's ability to boot. If that's not the case then you will need to restore the original MBR and Track 0 data contained in the image. You can do this separately now but it would normally be done at the same time as restoring an individual partition as follows:

1. Open the Restore Data Wizard and proceed to the "Partition or Disk to Restore" window. Tick the checkbox next to the individual partition to be restored and click "Next".
    2. Follow the Restore Data Wizard until you reach the "Next Selection" window, select "Yes, I want to restore another partition or hard disk drive" and then click "Next".
    3. You will now be back in the "Partition or Disk to Restore" window. Tick the MBR and Track 0 checkbox and click "Next".
    4. Follow the Restore Data Wizard once more until you reach the "Next Selection" window again. This time select "No, I do not" and then click "Next".
    5. Continue to the end of the Restore Data Wizard and then click "Proceed" in order to restore both the individual partition and the MBR/Track 0 data in one go.

If, after carrying out the above, your drive still fails to boot then you could try using the Windows Recovery Console and issuing the fixboot and/or bootcfg command as detailed in this <Microsoft article>.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  15. cdikland

Menorcaman and bVolk

After following your advise I have only two words for both of you

It worked.
    :D :D :D :D :cool: :D :D :D :D

Ok... Two more

Thank You:D

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Excellent!! Glad the Forum was able to help.

Regards

17. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello cdikland,

No wonder it worked.

Menorcaman's instructions would make a vinyl long-play record bootable. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.