Comodo Firewall (basic setup)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Stem, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have been PM`ed for a basic setup guide for this firewall... so here we are:-

From installation you are given options,... for me, I prefer for the option to be informed of any application being given access to internet,.. so this is my installation:-

You will after starting the installation find these options:-
    (these are my personal options)

Attached Files:

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

From this installation (after a re-boot), you will be alerted to any access from any application that as not been already added: you can check by looking at security/application monitor for the applications that have been added:- from my test pc,.. you can see:- (pic)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So,.. what about new alerts,.. for programs not included,.. one example is Nod AV,.. I attempted update and was given "popup" (pic),.. now the alert shown (DNS) is due to the fact I have DNS client disabled,.. the other alerts (not shown) are the actual connections,.. but for such an application (as my AV), a simple tick to remember, and then allow is all that is needed.

Attached Files:

• nod.jpg
      nod.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So,.. from the installation, and for updates for AV etc,... really no problem I can see, it is just a case to allow for the updates.

From the PM`s I have received the next main concern is for P2P/torrent clients,.. so to see/check I installed a torrent client, and set rules for this,.. from the attached pic you will see the basic "network" rules,.. this may be where some confusion can be found,.. as it is the network rules that determine the ability of inbound connections:

From installation these are the "Network rules":-

Attached Files:

• net.jpg
      net.jpg
      File size:
      86 KB
      Views:
  5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

To allow an inbound connection for your torrent client you need to set a rule to allow this. This example is for one inbound port, for TCP on local port 50000,

Attached Files:

• port.JPG
      port.JPG
      File size:
      133.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Once the rule is added, you just need to ensure than the rule is placed above the "block rule"

Attached Files:

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Some torrent clients/P2P software require more than one inbound port,... but just follow above example to add any other required port (to settings within client).

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Stem,

Since you test all the software firewalls, you can make a stick topic and put on it this topic about the CPF installation, and also about others that you have used and tested...

This will be very useful for inexperienced users...

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.