Why Pick Other Firewalls Over Comodo Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I started this as i want to know why you would use any other firewalls over comodo pf?

First of all it blocks ever test on firewallleaktester and shieldsup. Second no slowdown in system performance (21.000kb max for me with its 2 processes) (launchpad off)
    Third extremely well designed interface and non intrusive alerts as most firewall alerts appear in center of screen which is annoying for some.
    Fourth extremely featureful and easy.

Im sure there were problems with 2.2 but this new version fixes every problem im sure.

The launchpad gone and less mem,cpu usage. those are just the main fixes.

My main reasons are it blocks more or the same as the best free or paid firewall out there, Uses less resources then most and look at the price tag..Oops there isnt one...Oh wait a minute there is $00

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have not used the program so I cannot give an opinion at this point. The program will not work on older PC system such as those with Windows 98, so it is a no go with those computers.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with you, this is a great firewall with an excellent support, and it's free!!!

I already used a lot of firewalls and only this fits my needs!
    CHX is the best for incoming traffic but lacks application control and other features, like self protection...

The next version of Outpost Pro is the only firewall that I think that can compete with Comodo PF, or not... :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  4. Coolio10

Well you have a point but what about others with supported systems.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i too havent tried comodo, but rule making makes me uneasy and hesitant to try it.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Coolio10

I realize your are probably in love with the comodo firewall for some reason, based on all your posts, but I tried it and didn't like it. That's why I am not using it.

Pete

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Read this: ** FAQs/Threads - Read Me First **

If you still have some doubt, you can post on Comodo Forum...

8. WSFuser

i just tried comodo and i think ill stay with looknstop for the moment. its lighter, simpler, and i already have my rules setup.

9. Coolio10

They put in a low and very high setting alerts so its even simpler now!

Its like ZA Free when its on low but blocks more so its extremely simple for beginners too.

10. Coolio10

Could you please tell me why you dont like?
    Just so i can prove you wrong :D just joking!

11. Coolio10

Could you please tell me when you tried so i know if u used new 2.3 or old 2.2 as 2.3 is a lot lighter, simpler and secure as ever (wont even let me shut it down completely :D)

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly, I don't remember at this point. I just installed it, didn't really like it, so I took it off.

13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Love this firewall (Comodo)
    Shows what can be acheived and they are extremely helpfull into the bargain.

14. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Cool.,
    Apparently Comodo will do better now that it's dumped the bundle - what was it called again - Launchpad - nobody likes bundles, free or not.

Regards.

15. WSFuser

i tried the comodo v2.3 just today and it was light, but LnS is lighter. and by simple I mean looknstop just prompts once for each application (i think comodo can do that too but i didnt bother with that setting).

also it is slow to initialize. some error about FUS being disabled (which it is). and although u can (easily) disable teh launchpad, i dont liek it.

i think comodo is ok, but its too much for me.

16. luckykar

luckykar Registered Member

First of all hi everybody this is my first post here at Wilders , i just uninstalled ZA and installed Comodo Firewall it seems very nice , its an easy setup and works real well on my system.

Cheers

edit: Thanks to the guys at Comodo for this Firewall.

17. Coolio10

It doesnt actually require initializing time but your one of the rare 2 who has a process which doesnt make it happy.

You mean this error....

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1592.msg15243/topicseen.html#msg15243

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1592.0;attach=613;image

It does have the 1 prompt per app option and according to site it uses atleast 32MB "32 Mb or higher" And Comodo uses 15-22 max depending on system. Please show an image of your task manager with outline of looknstop processes so i can see if its "lighter" because comodo also has no cpu load just mem usage.

If ive won you over then just put a angry smile :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  18. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I like Sygate alot better.
    It has a more clean interface, less resource usage (no idea why a firewall (comodo) should use 40mb of memory...) and it makes my pc run alot smoother.

19. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

The new version doesn't use 40MB of memory. The two processes (cpf and cmdagent) combined use 23MB on my system.

20. WSFuser

from the first thread...do i need terminal services for comodo to function properly?

i cannot access the second link, i dont have a forum account.
    this is from Process Explorer:

Attached Files:

21. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Here is one thing I couldn't find off the pages, does it support internet connection sharing without being a royal pain like in every other software firewall I tried in the past, however my current software firewall makes it very easy, along with almost all of the firee firewalls do not support internet connection sharing, and for certain reasons this is required on my system.

Also what is the current status of support in Vista?

This thread seems like astroturfing to me, however I will bite...

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, it supports ICS, but I never use it so I can't tell you how it works...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5446/icsmk1.png

I think that isn't support right now, but they will add...

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I concur. Sygate is great here. Only using 9MB RAM. The only other pf I'd consider would be GhostWall. Possibly older Kerio.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sygate is badly outdated. Very good for (also outdated) Windows 9x but certanly not recommended for Windows XP...

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I disagree. And RejZoR if you have any reliable sourced information to back up your point. I'd like that link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.