Uninstaller for Advanced User?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ~Terence~, Sep 1, 2006.

?

Best Uninstaller

1. Ashampoo UnInstaller

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Advanced Uninstaller Pro

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Total Uninstall

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. Your Uninstaller!

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Others (please specify)

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Terence~

~Terence~ Registered Member

I like to find/buy an uninstaller that can monitor a software installation (for both file and registry changes), then use the log to completely uninstall the program when necessary. So far, I looked at these four:

- Ashampoo UnInstaller
    - Your Uninstaller!
    - Advanced Uninstaller Pro
    - Total Uninstall

I know for sure that Ashampoo UnInstaller and Total Uninstall have installation monitoring functions. I am not sure about Your Uninstaller! or Advanced Uninstaller Pro, although I heard that Your Uninstaller! does a good job of uninstalling existing programs that weren't monitored and Advanced Uninstaller Pro seems to be quite popular as well.

So which uninstaller do you guys recommend and why?

Assuming that I do monitor each software installation, which uninstaller can remove softwares most thoroughly, give me more control of what to remove, and has the least chance of creating adverse effect?

2. hsj

hsj Registered Member

I would higher recommend 2 programs: Regshot & Elcomsoft's Advanced Registry Tracer.

Regshot - A free standalone program that takes snapshots of the directories/drives that you specificed and the entire registry. You can then compare the 2 before/after snapshots and a text files is generated showing all the changes. The downside to this program is that it doesn't create an undo/redo reg files. However, if your objective is to have the lowest cost uninstaller, then you can use only regshot and go thru the registry entries in the text file to create your own undo reg file (I've been doing that for a few years until I bought Elcomsoft's ART). Now I only use it to monitor the changes in directories/drives.

Another excellent directory-monitor is filealert. It's a free standalone program which takes before/after snapshots of a drive of your choice and it lists all the changes (deleted/created/changed).

Elcomsoft ART - Not free. This program takes snapshots of your registry and store them in a database file. You can then compare any 2 snapshots and it shows you the differences in tree-view. You can also compare any snapshot to the current registry on your machine. The best thing about this program is that it gives you options to create undo/redo reg files. Also, you have the option to undo/redo the changes directly to the registry (which can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing).

In my opinion, these 2 programs working together are better than any uninstaller out there. I have been using them to turn most of my windows applications into "portable" apps by creating both undo/redo reg files. Hope this help.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

1. For trying new softwares, I use FirstDefense-ISR to remove them, if I don't want them. FD-ISR is an 100% uninstaller.

2. For longer installed softwares, I use this combination to remove them :
    "Windows Add/Remove Prgorams + Total Uninstall + StompSoft Registry Repair".
    Unfortunately, it took me a long time to find the right registry cleaner and when I found it, it was already too late. I need my registry cleaner from the beginning.
    Although, I'm convinced that this combination works in theory, I don't know how good it is in practice.

Beware, StompSoft Registry Repair is the most aggressive registry cleaner, I've ever seen. I thought it was RegSeeker for awhile, but this one reports double of what RegSeeker reports.
    But I didn't buy Registry Repair for that reason.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I have always used Total Uninstall and never seen reason to look at any others.

So, I'm not sure what my vote is worth, but since I'm satisfied I cast it anyways. :)

Regards,

Pieter

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

6. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Use logged uninstallers. ashampoo and total uninstall for me.

have used ashampoo longer.

for sensitive, apps. what i do is i load an image of my system drive, of a fresh windows install with basic apps, the archive is less than 300 megs. takes about a couple of minutes to restore using IFW or IFD or acronis. i have them all. after testing, i load back the last state (drive image) i used after testing.

if your into testing things every now and then. then, fdisr gives u total freedom.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: If you like to monitor each app's installation, ashampoo and total may be your pick; the first has more options than the latter, and has just released a newer version. If you are as lazy as I am, just want that unneeded app out the way as quickly as possible, your uninstaller may be the better choice; of course you still need residue sweeper such as registry crawler or its equivalent to weed out the garbage. Yes, your uninstaller is for me. Oh, BTW, if I am on a day pass-not allowing newly tried app to stay overnite, I use "deep freeze "trying it, if not to my liking, reboot PC, that garbage is gone and you are totally forgiven, I find it is much faster and easier than using FD-ISR. Is it that wonderfull?

8. ErikAlbert

DeepFreeze is only wonderfull, if you want to get rid of a new software, you don't like. With FDISR, I can test upto 9 new softwares separately at the same time. I clean one snapshot faster than a reboot time.

Faster and easier isn't always THE advantage. I can do different things with FDISR, which I can't do with DeepFreeze (or ShadowUser).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  9. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Was looking for the same thing, and finally took Total Uninstall (paid), which does a good job.

-RE

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Total Uninstall and depending on the program to be uninstalled FDISR.

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Total Uninstall :)

12. ErikAlbert

I tried "InCTRL5" yesterday, which seems to do a similar job like Total Uninstaller.
    I wasn't impressed by InCTRL5 except that it was freeware.
    Total Uninstall has a much better organized interface with different views.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i always used Ashampoo UnInstaller, but it's true it does get slower and slower over time even though i think i remember saying it doesn't :p

the version i used is probably nearly 2 years old now, so maybe recent versions are abit faster.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I voted "Other" because I know of two grrrreat uninstallers -- one is free the other is not...

FREE - Total Uninstall 2.34

NON-free - TrashIt.

15. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I like Inctrl5, because it not only lists the new files, folders, and registry entries, but the modified registry entries and replaced/altered files as well. While I normally use system backups to revert to a pre-installed state, Inctrl5 works good. I especially like using it with the uninstallers that come with software, just to see how much they leave behind, easily determined my comparing the install and uninstall records. When I want to test several apps, I often use TestRun, which makes a test copy of the registry and configuration files, leaving your regular system registry untouched. It's a little gem, but only works on Win98 and older, uses DOS.
    Rick

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

17. software-tester

software-tester Registered Member

I have been testing software apps for a good 10 years & in that time
    I have only found 2 software install monitors that did the job of removing
    software from my computer in the way that I wanted it. under win 98 I used vertisoft fix-it.
    This prog made a snapshot of the system before the install of software & again after.
    fix-it was the only app I found that could rip all the files out & put the
    registry back the way it was. Sadly vertisoft fix-it could not work on win-xp.
    Then in march of 2005 I found an app that worked like fix-it. the app is
    PANDA QUICKSHOT. To date I have found no other snapshot uninstaller app like it.

It's the BEST!!!!

ps if anybody has used vertisoft fix-it and/or panda quickshot & knows of
    other apps that work like them I would like to know.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Actually, I'm not really using one. I have a special machine dedicated to testing programs. If I like them, they are adopted onto others. If not, they never sully the registry of pristine machines. I rarely ever uninstall things. And if do, a nice sweep with a reg cleaner does the magic.
    BTW, a vote goes for Total Uninstall - proved well during combat trials.
    Mrk

19. fallsoffmotorcycle

fallsoffmotorcycle Registered Member

Hello,
    I have used Your Uninstaller but i am just trying Advanced Uninstaller Pro from Innovative Solutions. The large icons and garish look of the downloaded app are reminding me of a virused drive I once had. Does anyone have any comments on innovatibve solutions products?

20. Anti_Virus

Anti_Virus Registered Member

I really like Your Uninstaller! 2006.
    I use the second level of aggression, which is the ideal for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.