New virus.gr test on the way...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, most of us know that AV-Comparatives' next test results will be published on September the 1st. Can't wait to see the results for that.

But apprently, virus.gr is also going to publish its latest test results on September 1. Here is the quote from the website.

All I can say is "Hmm..." :D

Considering that virus.gr tests have not been so accurate in the past, I am wondering what it means when it says "very interesting for all users to read"...And what is the "Special Feature" test?

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Maybe the special feature/Interesting read will be he(VirusP) will actually setup the programs right this
    time.

3. FRug

FRug Registered Member

I expect something dramatic, yet completely irrelevant or stupid.

My personal bet is that he will start creating new variants and bitch about AVs not detecting them.

4. Firecat

You mean code permutation? Isn't that nautilus' line of work? :D

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

:D :D :D
    Well as for every other tester he has to keep his testbed "clean" and there i've serious doubts. Actually almost nobody from the testers which are testing AV Programs as a "hobby" are able to seperate a worm from a trojan without the help of several other AV Programs. Or to identify trash samples which would not even run. However, we have to live with it.

6. wawy

wawy Registered Member

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well i can't find much difference apart from mcafee getting 93.3 and norton going to early 80's..
    also lot of AV's using licensed AV's from kaspersky and others have done a great job.

8. FRug

FRug Registered Member

OMFG this is even worse than I had imagined.... Making a heuristic test by subtracting the scan numbers without activated heuristics from the numbers with activated heuristicso_O How utterly stupid can one person be o_O What relevance has that for heuristic capabilities of an AVo_O NONE! Not even the TINIEST bit....

For the rest of the test, same bad virus test set I imagine, as he even admits there are false positives in it.... does not seem that he has learned anything from the previous critizisms on his tests....

I'd prefer waiting for IBKs results....

9. Firecat

More strange results.

Excuse Me?

1)CyberScrub scoring better than eScan despite eScan having the extended database while CyberScrub only has standard database?

2)BitDefender 9 scoring better than both BullGuard and BitDefender 8 Pro can be explained in the fact that BD8 and BullGuard do not have spyware detection capability, however in the previous test, BullGuard scored exactly the same as BitDefender 9....

Huh? While VC will detect less because it does not have heuristics, if we subtract the heuristic scan results from Dr.Web, the score is still higher than VC by a margin of 1.5% approximately...This should not happen because both VC and Dr.Web now use the same engine version....

I do believe his test set is still flawed...though I think he tried harder this time.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

WHat is ViruScape 2006 doing next in front of McAfee is beyond me really...:ninja:

11. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Code:
    Rank Antivirus - Detected using only heuristics

1 Nod32 2.51.30 - 41503
    2 Vba32 3.11.0 - 32911
    3 VirIT 6.1.9 - 16469
    4 AVG 7.1.405 Professional - 13624
    16 AntiVir 7.01.01.02 Premium - 3697
    17 AntiVir 7.01.01.02 Classic - 3594
    18 Dr. Web 4.33.2 - 3575
    24 BitDefender 8.0.202 freeware - 511
    26 BitDefender 9 Professional - 353
    31 Quick Heal 8.00 - 0
    The results are very funny o_O o_O :D
    AVG is 4 times better than AntiVir and Dr. Web, 26 times better than BitDefender 8 and 40 times better than BitDefender 9 :eek:
    The test is obviously flawed. :thumbd:

12. Inspector Clouseau

Ridiculous - thats the only thing i have to say :eek:

13. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

hahaha.... whew... thanks virus.gr I needed that... :D

14. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Very but very astonishing this results. Doubts are coming up o_O

15. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Sophos AntiVirus version 6.0.2 - 69.48%

I can't believe it!!! Sophos should not be that worse.

16. Inspector Clouseau

ACK. To make it clear: Most of the AV companies adding a proper Virus Signature for threats found with Heuristic! That said: Even if the heuristic was/is able to detect that said threat with such a flawed and completely unprofessional, amateurish (it's even below that level!) AV "Testing" you will never get true results. Simple for the reason being that if you substract heuristic detections just by disabling and enabling heuristic you ALWAYS miss the files which are detected by signature BUT also detected by Heuristic! So basically the winner in this test will always be the AV Program which doesn't add a signature for their heuristic detections. ( i dont mean specifically NOD here... ) But it's easy as this: If some widely spreaded worm got nailed via Heuristic almost everyone adds a proper name - simply for the reason that you have to provide a virus description for this particular worm. You don't even need to work in AV business to understand this - this should be common sense - especially for wanna be hobby av testers!

17. Inspector Clouseau

18. FRug

FRug Registered Member

My point exactly ;)

19. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Virus.gr should post log files of antivirus softwares to make us believe to that test.
    We all know that it will never heppend :)

20. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

According to these, A-Squared and Ewido detect a pretty good chunk of viruses but previously I heard they did not. Do they really?

Also does Escan actually remove what it finds, that is, is it truly useful or does it just detect?

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This guys thinks that we are stupid!?

I don't know how can someone make such a stupid tests without knowing what they are doing...

22. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

There is no they. It's one Greek. I can't tell if it is a fat Greek though ;)

With Angelos gone to feyenoord Greece is my favourite country now (as Ajax fan)...

23. Firecat

Don't know about Ewido/A2, but the version of eScan tested was the commercial edition, and not the free version of eScan.

24. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

All I have to say: this test is flawed by design.

Here is the proof: "The 147184 virus samples were chosen using VS2000 according to Kaspersky, F-Prot, Nod32, Dr.Web, BitDefender and McAfee antivirus programs. Each virus sample was unique by virus name, meaning that AT LEAST 1 antivirus program detected it as a new virus."

Imagine that just single of mentioned programs produces a FP. The file, based on criteria for inclusion in the test set, will qualify as regular test file. This means that all programs not having this FP would produce a miss in the test on that particular file.

25. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In other words, the more an AV produces the higher it ranks :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.