Definitive Update Instructions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tanstaafl, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Is there a step by step set of instructions for upgrading an existing Enterprise Installation?

Do I have to uninstall first?

Where is the XP-Admin installer? Has this been rolled into the standard, which is now named NT/2000/2003/XP?

I'm guessing (I hate doing this with a critical software installation):

1. Uninstall the RAC (Remote Admin Console)

2. Uninstall the RAS (Remote Admin Server) - reboot

3. Uninstall NOD32 - reboot - delete any remaining Eset files/directories

4. Install NOD32 NT/2000/2003/XP - reboot

5. Install the RAS - reboot

6. Install the RAC - perform updates on server, reboot if necessary...

I'm a little uneasy by the total lack of information about this update - I didn't even KNOW about it until last week when I read about a new version of NOD32 on one of the news sites I frequent.

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

what new version? If you're running enterprise, you'll get the updates to the latest v2.5 code.

The admin version is the administrator version - 2nd in the list - it's now being called the "update server" version here:

http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php

That's a recent change as I guess a lot of people would try to download the admin version and say their username/password didn't work - which it won't unless you have bought enterprise.

3. tanstaafl

Well, I AM running the Enterprise version, and the clients are NOT running the latest 2.5 code...

All of our clients (including the RAS, which is actually just running on an XP Pro box) are still at 2.50.25 - which is why I posted this question about updating.

I'm still running the RAC and RAS 1.0.7 - maybe this explains why I'm not getting the updates automatically? Which begs another question - why do the RAC/RAS not have auto-update functions?

Ok, I guess I can see that now, although an explanation of this somewhere in the new Installation Guide might be in order. Thanks...

Now, back to my original question...

What are the specific steps to update a production environment? The new Installation Guide doesn't even mention installing the NOD32 AV itself, it only talks about the RAC and RAS.

Please, someone, confirm (or correct) my outlined steps so I don't have to GUESS how to do the upgrade properly.

Thanks...

4. tanstaafl

I'm reallyt concerned that I can't get a simple answer to this question.

1. I have a current, installed, production environment.

2. What are the correct steps to update the RAS and RAC from 1.0.7 to the latest 1.0.11?

ie, do I have to uninstall them first?

There should be an official 'Update Guide' released every time a new version of these mission critical applications are updated.

At least, thats mnsho...

5. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hello tanstaafl:

1. Download the latest RAS, RAC and LAN Update Server.
    2. Install the Remote Administrator Server (RAS) (1.0.11 in this instance).
    3. The database for the RAS will convert itself and then require a reboot.
    4. Install the Remote Administrator Console (RAC) (1.0.11 in this instance).
    5. Connect to ensure everything is running properly.
    6. Install the LAN Update Server (2.51.26) and reboot.

As for the 2.51.26 version for the workstations, there is not a mirror update available.

One can, however, push it through the RAC by creating a package.

6. tanstaafl

LAN Update Server Upgrade Procedure

I asked for this once before, but got no real response.

Can someone please post a specific, step by step procedure for upgrading an existing LAN Update Server running on Windows XP?

My server is currently running 2.5, and I'd like to go ahead and update it to the latest 2.7

Do I simply install the new version over the old? What order should I install things? Ie, RAS/RAC first? Or the LAN Update Server?

Also, something I've always been unclear on...

Since there are some new settings in 2.7 - how do I push these out to all of the existing clients? Do I have to create a new install package and push that out?

Pointers to documentation perfectly acceptable.

Thanks,

Charles

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Re: LAN Update Server Upgrade Procedure

Basicly it's not necessary to uninstall NOD32/RAS/RAC before installing a new version. However, if there is a problem with reinstallation it's recommended to uninstall the previous version first and restart the computer.

8. tanstaafl

Re: LAN Update Server Upgrade Procedure

Ok, so...

Just so I understand this correctly...

1. All I have to do to update the LAN Update Server and the RAS/RAC is to just install over the previous versions,

and

2. It does not matter what order I do this - meaning, I could update the RAS, then the RAC, then the LAN Update Server - or first the LAN Update Server, then the RAC, then the RAS, and lastly,

3. What about the new features of 2.7? Do I have to push out a new package to all of the current clients (currently running 2.5)?

4. If so, do I just create the package, then just push it out - again - 'on top of' the current version?

5. Is there a way to simply 'update' my current package to include the new features? Or do I need to create a new one from scratch.

Eset, listen up - even if it really is this simple, you really, really, really need to start providing OFFICIAL update instructions. I do not think this is asking too much.

I honestly cannot for the life of me see why this is such a big deal, or why my previous requests for this have been ignored.

9. tanstaafl

Udted RAS, RAC and Lan Update Server - now what??

Ok, Here we go again...

Being that I'm tired of waiting for Eset to push the update to 2.7, I decided to do a manula update. Since my prior request for a *precise*, step by step set of instructions for upgrading went unheeded, and all I got in response was essentially 't doesn't matter - just update on top of the old one, order is unimportant', I decided to just do it...

I updated everything on my LAN update server, in the following order:

1. RAC - reboot (prompted)

2. RAS - reboot (prompted)

3. Lan Update Server - reboot (prompted)

I then verified that my RAC was still talking to my RAS, and that the RAS was still talking to the clients - seems to be fine.

Last, I did a manual update on the mirror. So far so good.

But, when I went to a workstation, and did a manual update - NOTHING!

:(

Again, I would like to please BEG Eset to provide a simple, step by step UPDATE manual when major updates are released... I really don't think that is asking too much.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG? WHY ARE MY WORKSTATIONS NOT UPDATING TO 2.7??

HELP!!

10. tanstaafl

Re: Udted RAS, RAC and Lan Update Server - now what??

Sorry, my keyboard battery must be getting weak...

The subject should read: Updated RAS, RAC...

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Version 2.7 is still NOT available as a PUSH. ESET have not released it yet. You would need to download and configure v2.7 and push it out yourself if you do not want to wait.

Cheers :D

12. tanstaafl

Did you not read my post? I already DID manually update. I want my LAN Update Server to PUSH the new 2.7 out to ITS clients. I thought this was automatic, once the LAN Update Server was updated.

Why is it so difficult to see how a definitive upgrade guide is NECESSARYo_O??

13. Blackspear

I certainly did. You however did not read my reply, so I'll quote myself:
    Blackspear.

14. tanstaafl

If you are saying that updating the LAN server, editing/updating my custom package and then updating the mirror is not enough, then by all means, SAY SO.

I am very frustrated by the lack of documentation regarding updates. I am also very frustrated by the lack of SPECIFICITY with respect to answers to my queries in this regard.

15. Blackspear

I have twice now; if you do not want to wait for ESET to push out an update to the servers, then you will need to download and create a new package to push out to your network yourself.

Blackspear.

16. tanstaafl

Please explain the difference between:

1. Me manually updating my LAN Update Server

and

2. Eset pushing the update out automatically

You are saying that, even though I have manually updated my LAN UPdate Server, and the mirror, my LAN Update Server will not push out the new update until Eset's servers start pushing it out?

Why do I have to manually create a new package and manually push it out after manually updating my LAN Update server, but I DON'T have to do this once Eset starts pushing the update out automatically?

This just doesn't make sense to me.

17. Blackspear

Correct.

It is no different to a standard version having to wait for ESET to push out a PCU. When you first install NOD32 Enterprise Edition you have to push out packages, you don't just update the mirror and it pushes them out...

Blackspear.

18. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    The automatic upgrade from Eset, which would automatically upgrade components of all, has not been released yet...it may still be a while....next month...Easter...early summer..mid-summer...we don't know yet.

If you're anxious to update your LAN to 2.7...simply create a new "push install package" using the 2.7 workstation install..and push it out to all clients via the RAC. You can seamlessly install it right on top of existing 2.5...I've done it to most of my EE installs already.

19. tanstaafl

Ok, but you still didn't directly answer my question... :)

I apologize for apparently being so dense, but this could easily be cleared up if the upgrade process was properly documented.

Just to be precise, you are saying:

1. Updating the LAN Update Server, then updating the mirror, by itself, will not result in the LAN Update Server pushing the update to 2.7 out.

In order to push out the update, I can either:

2. Create a new 2.7 package, and push it out manually, or

3. Wait until Eset officially starts pushing it our, at which point it will flip a hidden switch on my LAN Update Server, causing it to automatically push out the new 2.7 to all of my clients.

Is this correct? Can you point me to any official Eset documentation, anywhere, that spells this out?

Thanks...

20. Blackspear

Yes.

No, this is simply how it is, no different than that of updating a PCU through a standalone version; the choice is manual or wait.

21. tanstaafl

I am very surprised at the lack of [official] documentation of this important behavior, and the apparent disinterest on the part of Eset to provide simple update instructions on such a critical enterprise application.

That said, the [unofficial] support available here is very good, and the product is superb, so I guess I'll just have to put up with this one shortcoming.

Thanks for your patience...

22. Blackspear

You are welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.