How to Specify Snapshot Location?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by niteghost, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Hmmm.. don't seem to find where to specify , the location of storing the Created Snapshot. Looked thru' the Option, but cannot find anything there.
    I afraid if I defragment my files with O&O DEFRAGMENTER OR dISKEEPER , it might affect the Snapshots.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Niteghost

You can't specify the location of snapshots only archives. Defragments won't affect snapshots. You should exclude $isr.bin. It's best not to move that file. Note Raxco's Perfect Disk automatically excludes it. If it is moved a reboot finds it, but thats not to good if the system crashes and can't reboot.

Pete

PS. I wouldn't bother defragging archives. Takes forever and really doesn't help.

3. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Trying to understand this.. Isn't all the Snapshots are in my C:\ drive? If I Defragment my C;\, I don't have a choice but to Defragment those Snapshots as well, unless I use Perfec Disk, ..... Yes?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

All snapshots are on [C:], but I don't understand it either.
    Peter is talking about excluding $isr.bin and I can't find that file on my [C:].
    What doesn't exist, can't be excluded.
    I can't help you any further, because I use PerfectDisk. Peter has to give more explanation :D

5. Peter2150

All the defraggers will indeed defrag all of c:\ which will include all your snapshots.

First Defense keeps one hidden file $ISR.BIN which I can only see looking in one of my images. That file is needed when you boot with FDISR, and it needs to stay in a fixed location on the disk. If it gets moved then the next boot you probably won't see the preboot. FDISR then relocates it and on follow up reboots all is okay.

Enter defragging. Perfect disk being a Raxco product detects FDISR being present on your system and excludes it automatically. If you use other defraggers, like diskkeeper then you should exclude it manually.

Hope that helps.

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

You don't have to exclude anything in PD, because the exclusion is inside the program of PD.
    However I can NOT find the file $ISR.bin in any of my snapshots.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Only the MBR gets protected in PD, by protected I mean not moved, but EVERYTHING gets defragged.

Acadia

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  8. ErikAlbert

If there is an exclusion of $isr.bin, you won't find it there, because the programmer of PD programmed the exclusion inside the program and you can't read the program, unless you have the source code.

9. ErikAlbert

I believe you !!! :)
    The $isr.bin doesn't even exist. It could be a non-existing argument to sell more PD's. :D

10. Peter2150

Did you guys misread what I said. I don't think the statement I said any snapshots are excluded.

Now as to the $Isr.bin. Right now I am restoring an image. When done I will post a screen shot that will explain.

Pete

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oops, I read too fast. :oops:

Acadia

12. Peter2150

I guess Erik's description of the exclusion being hard coded fits.

Here is a screen shot where I can set exclusions. I haven't set any.

Attached Files:

13. Peter2150

ANd here is a screen shot after I ran the defrag. The highlighted file is automatically set by Perfect Disk. It should be manually set in other defraggers, if possible.

Pete

Attached Files:

14. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the screens and info Peter. :)

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

A minor technical correction: At least as it shows in the PerfectDisk Exclusions screen on my machnine, the file in question shows as "$ISRBIN", not "$ISR.BIN"

16. Peter2150

You are totally correct. Seems like it used to be $isr.bin, I may be wrong there also. It is indeed $ISRBIN

Pete

17. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I see from the exclusion screenshot that C:\$ISR\0\$ISRBIN is excluded. Was this screenshot taken when you only had one snapshot, or does this $ISRBIN file only reside in the '0' folder (and not '1', '2', '3' etc when you have more snapshots) ?

18. Peter2150

I suspect there is only one copy of the file. It is the file that the mbr sends the machine to so it gets the preboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.