Jetico and Emule

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by joao_proscrito, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joao_proscrito

joao_proscrito Registered Member

Can some one help me configuring jetico firewall with emule? I even put the program on application trusted zone but I always get a low ID.

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

If you are using Jetico v1, what i hope for the moment, have a look at this threadt.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=121009

@Stem postet there somewhere an archive which you can import into Jetico v1, which also includes working rules for eMule. In this thread you also find explanations how to import rules.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Important, remove emule from the "trusted zone", and remove any rules you have created for emule.

1/
    There is a ruleset attached on this post Download and expand into your "program files \ Jetico \ Jetico Personal Firewall \ Config(folder)

2/
    You now need to open the ruleset.
    Open Jetico, select "open" and browse to the config folder, select the "ruleset.bcf" and open.

Attached Files:

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

3/
    Once you ruleset is loaded, open the ruleset (click on the "+" next to "rulesets") select the "emule" rules (left click and hold the mouse button down) and drag the rules to your "Optimal Protection"

Attached Files:

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

4/
    You may then need to edit the rules (this will depend on the ports you have set in emule)
    As you will see from attached image, there are 2 rules you may need to edit, one for the inbound TCP, and one for the inbound UDP. Change these so they are the same as your emule settings.

Attached Files:

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

5/

Then when you run emule, you will get the Jetico popup,... you then need to "handle as"->emule

Hope this helps/explains. Just post if any questions.

Attached Files:

7. joao_proscrito

Stem thanks so much for the help but Emule persists on being with a low id. I really don´t understand what's happening, with LnS Emule was running properly.

I really like Jetico, I tried lot's of different firewalls but this one seems to me the most secure and is light also, so I don't wanna try more firewalls.

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I am using the exact ruleset as @Stem posted with standart eMule ports, and i am having no LowID problems. Did you have elswhere a rule which is blocking eMule traffic? Have a look into the Log tab.

P.S.
    Just read your first post, saying that you had also a LowID problem when you put eMule into 'Trusted zone'. Dou you have a router or something else running?

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Have you any other rules that may be blocking the inbound ports you have set? Check your log to see if the inbound is being blocked.
    Are you behind a router?

I have used these rules myself in testing,... and I did get an "high ID"

10. joao_proscrito

The log tells me that I'm blocking the non processed packets that arrive at that door. How can I override that?

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Don't overright them, they have nothing to do with LowID from eMule.

Do you have a router or other software running which could limit Network access?

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Have you set the ports in "emule" the same as in the "emule rules"(TCP/UDP). If these are not the same then it will not work correctly.

13. joao_proscrito

Can it be a problem with conflicting software or something like that? My security running apps are Nod32, GSS, SnoopFree, Wormguard and Jetico.

14. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Give it a try, tell Jetico to allow all traffic (change security policy) and tell us whats happening with your LowId.

15. joao_proscrito

Yes I put the same ports. I think I read a post from a person with the same problem and he formated the hard drive, when he reinstalled jetico and emule the problem was solved...

16. joao_proscrito

When I put jetico to allow all emule works perfectly.

17. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Ok, so there has to be somewhere a rule which blocks eMule traffic. Now easiest way would be to export your whole rulset (optimal protection) and put it for download here or at rapidshare. Perhaps Stem can check it, i have Jetico v2 running.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Apply your optimal protection,.. Go to the "emule" ruleset and untick the "block emule" rule at the end of the ruleset. What popup do you get from Jetico when you run emule?

19. joao_proscrito

When I untick the reject box I get this pop-up:

event: receive datagrams

protocol: TCP/IP

Local Adress: Any

I already uploaded my optimal.bcf

It's here: http://rapidshare.de/files/29675242/Optimal.bcf.html

And guy's... thanks so much and sorry to bother you.

20. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The optimal protection you have uploaded is empty of "ask user" rules,... and there are no rules at all for emule.
    Make sure you have the "optmal protection" selected (right click "Apply policy") then load/edit the emule rules as directed in my posts, and select the ruleset for emule when prompted.

EDIT:
    You have uploaded your default "optimal protection" (from the Jetico config folder)

Open Jetico,... select your working "optimal protection" (the policy with the emule ruleset) and save the policy (Jetico: file: "save as") and upload this policy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  21. joao_proscrito

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have just taken a quick look,.. I am concerned that you have rule in "ask user" which is allowing inbound connections (to system local port 139 (netBIOS TCP) from an IP I am unable to trace. Do you know who/what this IP belongs to?

23. joao_proscrito

I don't know, but now I have it on application blocked zone and everything runs smooth except emule.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Dont place the system into "blocked zone", just remove/delete the rule that is allowing the inbound connection.
    I also see you have roxio "roxUPnPserver.exe" in trusted zone,...?

I have just checked through your ruleset, I even installed emule to check, and am connecting to servers with high ID.

As you have now saved your ruleset,.. please try,.. open Jetico, file open: and load the default optimal ruleset (from config directory) Apply the policy, then copy the emule ruleset to the new policy,.. edit as needed,...then run emule. (I need to see if there is possibly one of the other programs, which you have placed in trusted, may be bound to some ports needed for emule)

25. joao_proscrito

Stem thanks for the help, but I gave up. I have just installed LnS and it works fine with Emule. Perhaps Jetico was to much for me, but I still think that's the best firewall around.

I'm gonna format my pc soon, then I will reinstall jetico to see if it works.

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.